Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Going to the doctor?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was wondering you all know what the rules are on minors going to the doctor alone (in america). Is it possible for my girlfriend and i to go to the doctor and have her tested to see if she has a UTI without her mother? My girlfriend is 16 and i am 18. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dunno about america but u can here and the doctor cannot disclose any info to anyone without permisson
  • Options
    most people on these boards live in england. so the only thing we can do is do a search for you..which you could do yourself really. :)

not being mean there by the way. :thumb:
  • Options
    there's some americans, im sure theywill be along soon
  • Options
    THats perfectly fine. Does your girlfriend have her own health insurance card? When I lived at home my parents stopped taking me to the doctor as soon as I could drive, why waste their time :p

A UTI is the smallest of deals. Pee in a cup, get some antibiotics and be done. If you are worried about the parents questioing on sex, a UTI can be caused by many many things, unsex related. They never ask sex questions. As long as she has insurance and a way to get there, theres absoutly no problem with going alone. Its what you do. (Actually, I'd feel ackward at 16 if my parents went with!)