Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Spermicidal lubricant and UTI's? Bleed when changing your pill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everyone! Long time no see! Anyway, i was wondering, what are the dangers in using spermicidal lubricated condoms. I accidently bought a pack and on it it says that you should not have sex with them more than 1 time a day.

My girlfriend and i had sex twice in 12 hours yesterday with the spermicidal lubricated condoms. Today she is not feeling well. She said it hurt when she pee'd and it felt just like it did when she had her UTI a while ago. I was wondering it this is a UTI possibly, or a side effect of the spermicidal lubricant.

Also just a side note, she changed birth control about 2 and a half weeks ago. She took the pill right through her period and about 3 or 4 days after her period should have started she started to bleed. Now on the new birth control she has been bleeding for like 10 days not. Its not too extreme but the blood is there everyday. This has been going on for like 2 weeks now. She says that with her new birth control she is suppose to have a 4 day period starting monday. If she still bleed a few days after that she will go to the doctor. Her mother told her that bleeding is normal when you change birth control but about 2 weeks seems very strange to me. Any idea? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    Spotting when you run two packs together is not at all unusual, especially if you change types at the same time. Like you said, give it at least this cycle to settle down and if it continues after her break then she may want to go back to the doctor.

I would guess the reasons for not using spermicidal condoms more than once a day would be because of the liklihood that they will cause irritation, so the pain could well be that, although equally a UTI. If it's irritation from the condoms it should wear off quite soon, whereas the UTI will hang around a bit longer.
  • Options
    thanks for the reply! it was quite helpful!