Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

BBC Boss 'jumping ship' to ITV

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heard about this on the radio..

Personally it made me quite sad, Ive always looked at the BBC as being an epitome of British culture ( well it is the British Broadcasting Corporation after all), bringing us such programmes as Only Fools and Horses, The Royal Family, The Vicar of Dibley etc- basically all the great British comedies and the best programmes to watch the christmas specials of.

The BBC has also brought us Eastenders, Planet Earth and it's always been my choice for the 10 o'clock news- it has something for everyone, and usually the standard of programmes broadcast is a class above the rest.
To me, C4 has all the gulity pleasures of lowbrow entertainment ( think Friday Night Project, Big Brother, My Name Is Earl) and ITV just fills in the gaps.

The only thing i can think of which it has produced is 'Celebrity Love Island', and OK XFactor wins a lot of viewers but ITV still seems like a big faceless corporation whereas the BBC has been around since television started, it has provided a platform for so many actors ( John Cleese, The Two Ronnies, Dawn French etc.) and the place has so much CHARACTER.
Everyone knows what the BBC building looks like( as in many programmes such as French and Saunders and Alan Partridge feature scenes in/outside the building). I dont have a clue what the ITV building looks like.

Now the Head of the BBC has left to 'jump ship' and head ITV. The view seems to be that the BBC is a failing corporation and ITV is full of newer, shinier programmes to attract viewers, ie, the lovers of Reality TV. Some people are starting to think that the BBc is behind the times and old hat, and that it's heyday has long since past, whereas i feel it's provided great British television and will for many years to come.

Comments

• Options
    I love the BBC, I would believe what the BBC told me anyday over the government, Sky News or ITV.

The beeb is the best and it is respected all over the world. How many people around the world use the itv website, yet millions who arent even in the UK use the bbc website.

The bbc allows tv programms to 'bed in' if Only Fools and Horses started its life on ITV it would have been axed after the first series.

Good luck to Michael Grade at ITV, but the BBC will live on. I cant see the day the BBC dissapears. The BBC is bigger than any one man.

*(incase the bbc are looking for a new chairman, Im avaliable for a reasonable fee) :D
  • Options
    I don't know where you get the idea that the reason Grade has defected to ITV is that the BBC is on the decline - in fact its ITV that is in serious trouble, its been haemorraging viewing figures and is now being bought out.

Seriously, don't worry, it isn't symptomatic of anything more than Grade's desire for money.

Juts remember Chris Morris' wise words (while Grade was at channel 4): "Grade is a C**t" ;)
  • Options
    Meh.
  • Options
    I've always been rather partial to a spot of channel 5 myself.
  • Options
    Good riddance. ITV is in near terminal decline. The man wants to get a bigger pay packet, let him go.

Bring back Greg Dyke.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Bring back Greg Dyke.

Yeah bring him back, he was doing well at the BBC, and respected by the staff.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I'm delighted, and the other 10,000 staff, and all the equipment, should all follow into the private sector.

If Auntie is the best British culture has to offer, then I'm moving to Iran. The BBC hasn't made more than three decent programmes in the last ten years (Coast, Doctor Who and Life on Mars).

And as if to prove this, the tossers have comissioned the universally-panned Robin Hood for another series, yet the second series of the Emmy-award-winning Life on Mars has been shelved for at least another six months.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If Auntie is the best British culture has to offer, then I'm moving to Iran. The BBC hasn't made more than three decent programmes in the last ten years (Coast, Doctor Who and Life on Mars).
    Try 300 and you're nearer the mark.

Presumably your definition of culture involves The Race, I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, There is Something About Miriam, Dream Team and Big Brother.

Culturally and quality-speaking, the BBC pisses on every other channel not only in the UK and the entire world. You know that as well as the rest of us do.

Moan about having to pay the licence fee if you must, but let's be clear about the quality the BBC compared with anything else.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Presumably your definition of culture involves The Race, I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, There is Something About Miriam, Dream Team and Big Brother.

It doesn't include How do You Solve a Problem like Andrew Lloyd-Webber?, Celebrity Come Fever, and the eponymous Britain's Worst Toilet ;)
  • Options
    Yep, I can't think of a single thing that ITV has produced in the past ten years that I'd consider great. There's a few entertaining shows, but nothing particularly cutting edge. The BBC does blatantly piss all over ITV in pretty much every genre of programming. I guess that's why they've employed this guy. I still think Channel 4 is the best though.
  • Options
    Didnt his dad start up ITV back in the day, so he is just going to his families company in a way. Or is it some one else i am thinking of?

Ch4 do some good shows and some crap shows. Ch5 is likewise, i love NCIS for example, but hate the other crap. ITV are ok, some of the time, BBC are ok some of the time, love strictly come dancing and Dr Who. All in all, SKY is the best as it offers everything you could possibly want to watch on a selection of some 500 channels.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    All in all, SKY is the best as it offers everything you could possibly want to watch on a selection of some 500 channels.
    Sky does nothing. The channels they provide might, but the sum of Sky's original content could be written on the back of a postage stamp. And they're all shit.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm delighted, and the other 10,000 staff, and all the equipment, should all follow into the private sector.

And as if to prove this, the tossers have comissioned the universally-panned Robin Hood for another series, yet the second series of the Emmy-award-winning Life on Mars has been shelved for at least another six months.

True for all British TV, there's a few decent homegrown programmes (and some of the documentaries and news remain better than anything else), but most of the really decent drama and comedy is brought in. British TV is just too conservative and afraid too take risks.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    Didnt his dad start up ITV back in the day, so he is just going to his families company in a way. Or is it some one else i am thinking of?

It was his uncle, Lew Grade ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lew_Grade
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It doesn't include How do You Solve a Problem like Andrew Lloyd-Webber?, Celebrity Come Fever, and the eponymous Britain's Worst Toilet ;)
    The difference of course is that in addition to those mass-market programmes the BBC has tons of fabulous high quality offerings.

The likes of ITV, with perhaps the exception of the South Bank Show, have precisely fuck all.
  • Options
    Wire in the Blood?

My problems with the BBC are the enforced nature of the TV Tax (pay us or go to prison), and the fact there is no accountability despite sucking the public tit dry. If I'm against the second series of the diabolical Robin Hood (which like all right-minded people I am), I can either lump it, go to prison, or bin my telly.
  • Options
    It's all worth it for Planet Earth and the Blue Planet to be honest.
  • Options
    So a TV show is worth imprisoning people?

Funny priorities there!
  • Options
    But it's a really good TV show ;)

I shouldn't be helping the derailing here really. Can't blame the guy for moving as he'll be getting many times the pay over there than he does at the BBC - and I honestly can't see standards at the BBC slipping. If anything we might get some improved shows on ITV which can't be a bad thing.
  • Options
    At least Grade is slightly better than Greg Dyke, the highlight of who's career was bringing up Roland Rat

I'd say bring back John Reith, but sadly he's dead
  • Options
    I'd say bring back John Reith, but sadly he's dead

So, just a place on the Board of Directors for him then ;)
  • Options
    i think you all watch too much tv :p the only good thing on these days is motd on the bbc and champs league on itv, everything else is a load of w**k.
  • Options
    Sky does nothing. The channels they provide might, but the sum of Sky's original content could be written on the back of a postage stamp. And they're all shit.

Well Fox have made the Simpsons, Futurama, Malcolm in the Middle and Family Guy to name a few things and Fox/Sky are the same company. Do you think Family Guy is shit?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well Fox have made the Simpsons, Futurama, Malcolm in the Middle and Family Guy to name a few things and Fox/Sky are the same company. Do you think Family Guy is shit?

And normal TV has made... oh. MUCH MUCH more. Thankyou.
  • Options
    Funnily enough, Fox threatened to sue itself when it started proceedings against the creators of The Simpsons after the show had made some light fun of the channel. Incredibly it took a few days before someone pointed out to the lawyers that the Simpsons was commissioned by, er, Fox.

But yes, generally speaking, Sky is shit and Fox are indescribable rubbish. At its very best it can offer a few decent shows that cover about 2% of its airtime. The rest of it is utter rubbish, and indeed Sky 1 resorts to repeating shows like the Simpsons hundreds of times per episode in a desperate attempt to fill its piss-poor schedule.