Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

.pif files / virus - security hole

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

I just found a security whole in firefox. I went to a website where it tried to download a .pif file (I already knew it was a virus as I was checking it out for a friend) and my download manager came up. Said no. Went back to the webpage and for some reason??? It downloaded the file automatically. Luckily my antivirus caught it. But firefox isn't as secure as we might like to think.

It was an ordinary website with a URL along the lines of

http://www.somecrap.piccys.hello/php?img=2038.jpg or something like that. I think it would catch a lot of people out. I tried going to bugzilla as I think that it should be impossible for a virus to get onto your system without your say-so, but it appears not. I couldn't work out bugzilla though. So beware when surfing warez sites or other things, because just by browsing you *can* get a virus.

I wouldn't even like to try it in ie, not that I think it's less secure, just I know firefox asks *most* of the time, whereas ie often doesn't.