Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

MAP lectures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I confess this is mainly a rant, but I'm also wondering if it's just me.

I've needed emergency contraception 4 times now (not the best record I realise) and 3/4 of those times I've been made to feel completely stupid and like a promiscuos so and so.

The only time I wasn't completely belittled was on a Scout camp when I probably deserved it having got very drunk not realised I'd not got my pill packet with me.

This morning took the biscuit, saw the practise nurse yesterday, explained the condom failure and got the MAP, and my dressing done as usual. Went back this morning for another dressing and saw the locum nurse, who came out with all sort of tripe about 'you're obviously not struggling too much if you're getting up to all these antics' and 'shouldn't a smart girl like you know better'.

Got similar lectures and completely patronised, and my private life nosed into the previous times at the walk in centre.

:banghead: :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Put a complaint in, there their to help, not judge. I wish alot of them would realise that.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I would put a complaint in, i don't think they should be talking to you like that. It has nothing to do with them what you do in your life.
  • Options
    If it was the regular staff I would have done, but the usual nurse has been fantastic. I may mention it to her when I next see her though.

Todays nosiness was especially bad (she was only supposed to be doing a dressing) but even when you can tell they are working to their protocols in the walk in centre, they ask so many personnal questions and give you such a patronising 'talk' it does my head in. You wonder why some people are put off getting it.
  • Options
    If it was the regular staff I would have done, but the usual nurse has been fantastic. I may mention it to her when I next see her though.

Todays nosiness was especially bad (she was only supposed to be doing a dressing) but even when you can tell they are working to their protocols in the walk in centre, they ask so many personnal questions and give you such a patronising 'talk' it does my head in. You wonder why some people are put off getting it.
    Slightly O/T, but I find receptionists at the Docs surgery should learn there place, they seem to ask personal questions about why you need the Dr when it has fuck all to do with them.
  • Options
    I know it isn't her place to say anything to you but in some circumstances she is right, however with you, you said that the condom split, in no way is that your fault, you used precautions, they just failed, she was out of order.

They should keep their nose out and i would mention what she said to someone too like everyone else has said.
  • Options
    I appreciate at times then you need the lecture, and they do need to check certain things.

GPs receptionists are another matter that I could rant on for hours, but here I'm talking about the actual nurses.

It seems that regardless of what you say may have happened, they assume you may have been intoxicated, taken advantage of and have no idea of what safe sex is. I hate being judged when I'm trying to do the right thing.
  • Options
    Repeatedly taking the MAP is very bad for your health, and the doctors have a responsibility to remind you of this.

My experience is that they will rightly impress this on you, and if you keep going back time and time again for the MAP then they will rightly bollock you for it. It's a waste of the NHS's money, its a waste of their time, and its potentially damaging to your health.

Condoms fail which is why all women of child-bearing age are advised not to rely solely on condoms.
  • Options
    I'd hardly call 4 times in 5 years time and time again, especially as only 3 of those times are on records.

I am well aware of the gravity of the situation and the health implication, and of the risk of failure with condoms but believe it or not they occasionally tell you to stop taking the pill for medical reasons and don't come up with an alternative to use as well as condoms immediately.

While it would cost the NHS less if it was never needed in the first place, I suspect it costs them a damn sight more if someone doesn't get it.

The quizzing and the lecture you get makes it very very tempting to lie, which surely isn't the best plan in the world for anyone. I learnt that after the first time, having a boyfriend who is 8 years older than me meant I got a huge quizzing where she probed completely into my private life trying to ascertain whether I was being taken advantage of. Yesterday I lied, and went for him being the same age as me to avoid that. Now that has no real consequence, but people could be tempted to lie about other things that may matter.

I don't want it handed out like sweeties, but a little less humiliation may go a long way.
  • Options
    A lot of it is people skills, some people have them and some don't. Same as in any walk of life. The nurses are right to ask about a lot of things- they have a legal duty to protect young people, as well as a moral one.

Also bear in mind that everyone says that "the condom broke", regardless of whether it did or not. It's hardly surprising if people aren't believed.

Sure, some nurses could be a bit sweeter about it (the fact you can't take secondary contraception should have been noted in your case) but in general I think that they are right to make sure that the people who come for the MAP need it and aren't taking the piss with their contraception and sexual safety.
  • Options
    I'm sure if you had to deal with the things these people do that you'd become a little apathetic and condescending. Not that I'm agreeing its right to be treated in such a way! You should dismiss it, this "lecture" was intended for the 1-5% (arbitrary numbers) of people who really need the advice...
  • Options
    I have only needed emergency contraception once, but I chose to buy it at my local chemists for £24 rather than going to my local walk in centre since a previous experience left a nasty taste in my mouth, after being herded around like cattle and have the staff's attitude do a 180 after finding out I was a medic...
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    I have only needed emergency contraception once, but I chose to buy it at my local chemists for £24 rather than going to my local walk in centre since a previous experience left a nasty taste in my mouth, after being herded around like cattle and have the staff's attitude do a 180 after finding out I was a medic...
    I've seen a grown woman in the queue in front of me at Boots the Chemists being given a serious telling off in front of all the other customers though. She had diarrhea so her usual pill may not have worked so she wanted the morning after pill but she still was told off like a little child and it was worse that it was in public.
  • Options
    Public humiliation in a shop would be the last straw for me, I hope that woman took matters further. My chemist was a darling, he just asked me to step behind the counter, and explained to me I could take both tablets at the same time.
  • Options
    Kind of on the same topic when I was at secondary school we were given a little card thing and told that if we ever needed emergency contraception but didn't want to speak about it in the doctors reception area then you could just show this card and the receptionist would know exactly what you were there for without the embarrassment of having to explain in front of people. These are a very good idea I think :yes:
  • Options
    Fingers crossed I never need it again, but the friendly local chemist is sounding very tempting....

I find it ever so slightly amusing that the best experience by far seems to have been a Scout camp site hospital, 6am on a shift change!
  • Options
    Just glad I wasn't this woman.

But yeah, if anyone is in the London area, Boots the Chemist on Marylebone High Street has a very helpful staff member :yes:
  • Options
    go_away wrote:

To be fair though, she could have gone to another/back the following morning...

The biggest reason for complaints in the NHS is "attitude" and it saddens me to see something like this happen. However, you also have to accept that many people take the piss and use services like this as an alternative and we would rather treat people who needed us than those who take no responsibility for their own actions.
  • Options
    I accept that some people take the piss, and I will confess I'm in a foul mood. It doesn't surprise me at all that the biggest complaint is attitude, working for the NHS on a regular basis would piss me off no end.

It just seems a shame that those who have had genuine accidents are put through such humiliation. I suppose my post from the other night shows that it makes at least some think twice before getting emergency contraception.
  • Options
    To be fair though, she could have gone to another/back the following morning...

She did, it was hidden away at the bottem.
    She took emergency contraception the following morning but it failed and the couple are now planning the birth of their child in November.

I do find it sick that a pharmacist, not only refused a medication, but that they actually are allowed to. Just because the medication at hand was not ment for asthma, a UTI or some other medical ailment does not mean it is any less usefull. Would it be seen as ok if a pharmacist wouldn't give anti-depressents because they believed medicating is not usefull? It is not the place for a pharmacist or nurse to judge a patient or medicine taker. It is their job to help. This whole thing makes me sick and feel very very luck that I have not run into any rude people of the medical profession yet.
  • Options
    And that's the real shame, but you also have to understand that in the 20+ years which I have been sexually active, no partner of mine has ever needed MAP whereas your situation is different.

Whilst not indicative of anything significant (nor am I being judgemental here), it does highlight that some people rely on these services more than others. now if you consider that you are careful and yet needed it so often, how many people do you think those nurses have seen who just couldn't give a shit. After a while it grates.

That doesn't defend their attitude but at a time when we are seeing NHS resources spread thinly, it does piss you off when people abuse what is there and so we spend moeny in places which we would rather not and don't invest where we would like to. Don't get me started on GUM....
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    She did

missed that.
  • Options
    And that's the real shame, but you also have to understand that in the 20+ years which I have been sexually active, no partner of mine has ever needed MAP whereas your situation is different.....

Fancy giving me a crash course? I've had this conversation with our practise nurse (who is also a family planning trained) and we can't work out what I'm doing wrong. I use usually use oral contraception as well as condoms (which we always pay for ourselves as apparently they can't give you latex free ones), and the only times we've ever had a problem with condoms are when I've been off the pill on medical grounds, it's not like we regularly have problems... Maybe I did something wrong in a past life.

Fingers crossed I won't be wasting any more of the NHSs money on this one, as after this time I think I've decided that total abstinence is the best option unless I know I've got two forms of contraception! :impissed:
  • Options
    as well as condoms (which we always pay for ourselves as apparently they can't give you latex free ones),

GUM clinic. All free and they're usually nice peeps too.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    BBC wrote:
    Under the Royal Pharmaceutical Society's Code of Ethics and Standards which all pharmacists are expected to follow, a pharmacist is allowed to refuse to sell or dispense drugs because of their religious beliefs or personal convictions.

EXCUSE ME !!!

So, for instance, a catholic would be within their 'ethical code' not to dispense/sell any form contraception. What if a pharmacist didn't believe mental health problems existed, they'd be allowed not dispense medication ? What about HIV medication. Suppose being gay was against someone's 'ethics' they'd be entitled to refuse me my HIV medication ?

What a load of shit.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed I won't be wasting any more of the NHSs money on this one

But you're not, are you. Your using protection, and has been said a squillion times before no method is 100% effective. You've used protection, it's gone wrong so you go for the morning after pill. I don't see any problem with that.
  • Options
    Well I know I'm not (well I don't think I am), but others seem to find that this the case.

Even our local GUM clinic seem to only deal in your standard durex latex jobs. Does make me laugh when you explain you've got a latex allergy, so they double check the gloves they're wearing and everything like that and then hand you a bag of latex condoms :banghead: . Someone once helpfully suggested that I could have femidoms instead......
  • Options
    The quizzing and the lecture you get makes it very very tempting to lie, which surely isn't the best plan in the world for anyone. I learnt that after the first time, having a boyfriend who is 8 years older than me meant I got a huge quizzing where she probed completely into my private life trying to ascertain whether I was being taken advantage of. Yesterday I lied, and went for him being the same age as me to avoid that. Now that has no real consequence, but people could be tempted to lie about other things that may matter.

I don't want it handed out like sweeties, but a little less humiliation may go a long way.

I can see why you're annoyed. They should inform you of the risks, but at the same time be non-judgemental. Working in the NHS i can see areas of unnecessary expenditure every day which annoys me, as they say they cannot afford to staff us properly!! However you have to remain neutral. The MAP is a necessary expense, and i can understand that these nurses may be annoyed by the girls coming in to use it as a regular form of contraception, but they should not take this out on the patients. Telling you about the risks is one thing, but being judgemental is another! And as for asking how old your boyfriend is, that is completely irrelevant. You are using protection and it failed, you are not ready for pregnancy, and you have sort appropriate help, end of. If you feel they were rude, then complain, they have no right to judge you like that :yes:
  • Options
    Does taking the MAP really damage your health like Kermit said? I've taken it quite a few times, can't remember exactly how many but over a period of quite a few years. It's not their place to judge you..I mean fair enough if you were in there every month, that would be silly.

I would go to one of the chemists where it's free for under 21s..they don't ask for ID and when I went there the chemist was lovely and took me into a room at the back.
  • Options
    They have to explain any health risks to you, but nothing I've read implies any long term health damage.

On the massive waste of NHS money, it costs £5.11 (plus nurse time) if you get One Step from the pharmacy free as an under 21 it costs £13.55. Considering what the NHS already spend money on that doesn't seem too horrendous to me.

Source: BNF
  • Options
    They have to explain any health risks to you, but nothing I've read implies any long term health damage.

On the massive waste of NHS money, it costs £5.11 (plus nurse time) if you get One Step from the pharmacy free as an under 21 it costs £13.55. Considering what the NHS already spend money on that doesn't seem too horrendous to me.

Source: BNF

I don't think the cost is really relevant considering the cost a baby would mean to the state.

Accidents happen, whether it's condom splitting, pill not effective or taken properly or just passion, or even boyfriends/partners persuading women to have sex without any contraception. Women should not be put off from getting the MAP because of judgemental attitudes.

There was a case in Birmingham recently where a Muslim pharmacist refused to give a woman the MAP.