Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Value for money? I don't think so!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where do you go? I go to Aveda sometimes, and am not charged extra. I had a friend who would pay a fortune to have a senior stylist cut her hair at T&G, it was long hair too. TBH, I've seen their just-trained juniors do much better jobs.

Sorry for the tangent.
  • Options
    after having my hair ruined once many years ago i now always try to have the same person who works at a salon in the city centre. i've been going there for the past 5 years (apart from a few occassions when i've had it done in leeds and then when i lived in france). on those occassions i tried different stylists in different salons and none are as good as my mark :) i don't mind paying a lot - afterall i wear my hair everyday. the odd time when i was a student i opted for a cheaper stylist or a cheaper salon and i just didn't think they were as good.
  • Options
    I divorced my hairdresser after my shoulder length hair (which I told her I was growing) turned into a crop :rolleyes: I found some really good stylists, but they kept moving abroad :( I've braved having had my hair done for free a few times after being approached in Covent Garden, which helps my budget, but like you, I don't mind paying a bit extra to have my hair done by someone I trust, after it took years for it to get back to the length it is now.

Back on topic, erm, is Sarah here yet? ;)
  • Options
    what? this is nuts! bigger people don't get better value for money. they still get ONE SWEATER. and if you're really that bothered that they're getting more than you for their money then buy their size! then you can sit at home and work out how many extra inches of wool you've managed to bag yourself. woohoo mwahaha. nutter
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    am i the only one who pays extra for having long hair??

No, you're not. This is pretty standard in the Leeds city centre salons.

I find it a bit rude, tbh. I can understand charging more for dying long hair, or even for drying/styling it, but if you're literally just trimming it, surely it takes the same amount of time?

Anyhoo, I go out of town now, and for a simple wet cut, it's the same whatever length your hair is :thumb:
  • Options
    I pay extra for having thick hair, so it takes longer to work through and get it cut. I got to cheap place that has a base rate and they add on a couple of quid for doing mine.

But clothes and hair don't really compare. Just like scary pointed out, only a small amount of clothes cost is material, whereas for hair I'm paying for time as well as skill etc, I have long thick hair, so it takes longer, so I pay more...
  • Options
    I'm not saying bigger people should pay more exactly,
    I'd just like to get what I pay for, So, Would prefer to pay less for something that's less material + Less time has gone into making it

Doesn't make sense.
    totally contradicted yourself there

one minute you say they shoudlnt pay more

then you say you should pay less

which means they pay more
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    am i the only one who pays extra for having long hair?? this has always been the case in the salons i go to. but then again i go to expensive ones and then pay extra for having the top stylist.

I also pay for having long hair, up to twice as much as people with short hair!!
  • Options
    i only pay extra for colour when i get my hair done, not cut
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    totally contradicted yourself there

one minute you say they shoudlnt pay more

then you say you should pay less

which means they pay more

It may look like a contradiction, but, if you read it properly, I'm saying they shouldn't put the price of clothing up. So the point is actually, paying for what you get. so they would not be paying anymore than they would normally.
  • Options
    It may look like a contradiction, but, if you read it properly, I'm saying they shouldn't put the price of clothing up. So the point is actually, paying for what you get. so they would not be paying anymore than they would normally.
    i did read it properly, you said they shouldnt pay more, but you should pay less, which still means they`d be paying more than you!

i wasnt on about putting the price up, i was on about them paying the same but you paying less
  • Options
    :thumb:

Besides which Sarah, I think you'll find that larger size clothes don't actually have twice the material that your size 8s do. The difference between each size is normally something like an inch - a size 8 waist will be around 23" and a size 18 waist will be around 33".

Should I start getting annoyed when people with really long hair pay the same as me for a drastic chop, seeing as my hair is above my shoulders?

If that's the case, then that's a whole ten inches more of fabric.
    When you buy good quality curtains, you pay for the size of your window right?

I pay more for my long hair!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    But with curtains a far higher portion of the cost is the fabric, there's almost no design costs, and the difference in the amount of fabric used is significant.

You'll find when you make clothes, that actually because of the shapes you need and off cuts that the amount of fabric used for different sized clothes is hardly different at all.

As for haircuts, I sometimes have very short hair (mine's thick and curly) and I've found that the expensive one is a cut from long to short.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    from a stitching point of view, often the smaller the size the more fiddly and time consuming the sewing, as all the angles a slighly smaller. I think Scary Monter's summary is spot on, the actual cost would be the same no matter the very small saving in fabric.
  • Options
    :yippe: :yippe: :yippe:

I did something good!
  • Options
    Maybe they should sell clothes by the kilo. Problem solved :D
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    from a stitching point of view, often the smaller the size the mor fiddly and time consuming the sewing, as all the angles a slighly smaller.

:yes:

Also there is usually more fabric wastage with smaller sizes. Just cause there's 10" extra material doesn't mean you'll be able to cut any of your pattern pieces out of it!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    am i the only one who pays extra for having long hair?? this has always been the case in the salons i go to. but then again i go to expensive ones and then pay extra for having the top stylist.
    Nope - I have to pay more too - I wanted layers put in my waist length hair, but they put me in the 're-style' price range because it's more work than an average cut n blow dry. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Haha I find this thread so funny, read it from start to finish, and Sarah, you're class! It's cheered me up no end, so petty and she just won't give in

:heart: 'n IT!!!
  • Options
    Theres a simple solution to this problem. Get fat.
  • Options
    Fatties be getting it easy, yo'.

Surely jack up the prices for ridiculously large sizes as an incentive to lose weight, hooray!
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Theres a simple solution to this problem. Get fat.

It's actually harder to put on weight than it is to lose it!

Lol @ everyone :lol:
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    i did read it properly, you said they shouldnt pay more, but you should pay less, which still means they`d be paying more than you!

i wasnt on about putting the price up, i was on about them paying the same but you paying less

That would just be unfortunate for them.
  • Options
    Nope - I have to pay more too - I wanted layers put in my waist length hair, but they put me in the 're-style' price range because it's more work than an average cut n blow dry. :rolleyes:

My salon doesn't charge extra for cuts (or never has for me!) but they do have some wacky adding up.

When I went the other week, I had the apprentice do my colour (because everyone was saying how good he is, and it's true) and my regular girl, who is still technically an apprentice, do my cut. So the prices were cheaper than normal.

My cut always costs £20. The full head of colours from Ben is £20. Half a head of highlights is £20....

£60 yes?

No. Because of the shades I chose, it came to £81. :no: I don't get it AT ALL. Luckily, it was a birthday treat so mum was quite happy to pay, but EIGHTY ONE?!
  • Options
    That would just be unfortunate for them.
    no, it would be UNFAIR for them
  • Options
    i pay about £86 every 6 weeks. not including shampooo and conditioner products. although they last about 12 weeks.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    no, it would be UNFAIR for them

I think it's UNFAIR that I have to pay the same price and get less!!
  • Options
    I think it's UNFAIR that I have to pay the same price and get less!!
    you dont get less though

you get A garment

they get A garment
  • Options
    Well That's obvious that we both get a garment, But, they are gettin' more of A garment for their money.
  • Options
    Well That's obvious that we both get a garment, But, they are gettin' more of A garment for their money.
    dont be so silly

you arent paying for the amount of MATERIAL you`re payng for a finished GARMENT

havent you read anything people have posted in this topic?
This discussion has been closed.