Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

attraction and relationships?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
simple question can you have a succesfull relationship with somone if you get on amazingly but youre not attractedto them?

Comments

• Options
    My opinion no, not if it doesn't come when you get to know them.
  • Options
    Personally i don't think so.

I think there has to be atleast a small attraction there otherwise long term it wont work out. Although i think looks are the first thing that attract you to talk to a person in the first place so there has to be something.

I remember my friend once saying to me, you can't shag a personality, there has to be an attraction there.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    Although i think looks are the first thing that attract you to talk to a person in the first place

I disagree, not necessarily
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    ive always thought attraction was neccesary but i like this person so much and i dont wanna be shalow but as hard as i try theres just nothing there
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

Well in most cases it is, unless you meet under other circumstances. As an example, many women in a club check out who they think is good looking and then try to chat them up.

I know in my case i wasn't attracted to my boyfriend right away, after getting to know him the attraction to him became more apparent. But either way, i think there has to be an attraction for a relationship to be sucessful.
  • Options
    yohanes13 wrote:
    ive always thought attraction was neccesary but i like this person so much and i dont wanna be shalow but as hard as i try theres just nothing there

IMO, that makes them your best mate, not your other half.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    IMO, that makes them your best mate, not your other half.

Many people see their other half as their best mate though.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    well yes, but hopefully their best freind WITH extra benefits such as physical attraction and at least a bit of passion.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:

Which is fine if they are both.

You can like someone as much as is humanly possible, but if you don't fancy them then they'll never be more than your mate. In real terms.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    :yes:.

When I first started talking to the boy, and the whole time I was friends with him before we got together, it was his personality that attracted me to him, rather than the way he looks (although that helped XD). The fact that I could talk to him easily. There have been people I found attractive physically who I didn't find attractive mentally and vice versa, and I broke up with both of them. Needs to be a good mix, imo.
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    even if you don't fancy each other quite as much as you once did .
    Theres a difference between the attraction wearing off somewhat and being not there at all anymore.
    I think it is normal for relationships to change and the attraction to be more of a slow burn than a raging fire, but if the fire goes out completely, I think people tend to get dissatisfied and the relationship is on its way out if it cant be re-kindled (unless of course theyre both happy with no passion)