Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Betty Blue

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Beatrice Dalle is just completely stunning, whatever her body shape or amount of fluffy bits.
    I also recognised bits of myself in Betty too especially at certain times in my life, and I found it very very moving. I cried more than once.
  • Options
    Beatrice Dalle is just completely stunning, whatever her body shape or amount of fluffy bits.
    I also recognised bits of myself in Betty too especially at certain times in my life, and I found it very very moving. I cried more than once.
    Probably because it doesn't remind me of anything in particular, but I can't say I found it that emotional to watch. I've got DVDs in my collection that'll have you crying if I nominate them next month. Incidentally, what does it say about this film club that both films so far have just been full of sex (well what I saw of Y Tu Mama anyway)? I can bring it up a notch next month and nominate a film with actual sex in it. :p

**SPOILERS** >>>

Incidentally, I found this review interesting. He claims that the film "centers on the difficulty of living with a sexually uninhibited free spirit." Is it just me, or has the film gone over this reviewers head? I mean I can see how he's come to that conclusion with them having fantastic sex and each other, but always craving something might suggest that a purely sexual relationship is ultimately unfulfilling, but I'm pretty sure that that isn't the entire concept around which the film is based. The fact that he claims that her baby dies suggest that he didn't pay that much attention though, tbh. What do you think?
  • Options
    That's curvy? I thought that was petite.
    I was comparing her to other women's bodies I've seen in films (mostly very thin women) and to my own curveless body. Not really to the general population of women.
  • Options

**SPOILERS** >>>

Incidentally, I found this review interesting. He claims that the film "centers on the difficulty of living with a sexually uninhibited free spirit." Is it just me, or has the film gone over this reviewers head? I mean I can see how he's come to that conclusion with them having fantastic sex and each other, but always craving something might suggest that a purely sexual relationship is ultimately unfulfilling, but I'm pretty sure that that isn't the entire concept around which the film is based. The fact that he claims that her baby dies suggest that he didn't pay that much attention though, tbh. What do you think?
    I think youre right, I dont think that guy saw it in the same way as me at all. I guess though, that even though there never was an actual pregnancy, to Betty there was, and to her it was a loss, and was enough to finally tip her over the edge.
    I know there were a lot of sex scenes in the film, but I didnt think it was all aboput sex and i didnt think it was gratuitous or anything. It made it more real to me, it showed the passion between them.
  • Options
    any other thoughts?
  • Options
    I have lots of thoughts, will be back after lunch!
  • Options

Me three.

What was a bit scary was that I maybe even recognised in her behaviour the way that I have sometimes wanted to behave but haven't dared to (probably quite luckily for all concerned). I loved the fact that there wasn't any attempt made to apologise or explain away her actions other than them being the result of her own encroaching madness, as all too often I think mental illness and wild love are romanticised in film in a way that isn't really very true to life at all. On that note, I liked the way it was aknowledged that all her fury and passion was channelled to defend and protect the man she loved... but again that it wasn't excused by reason of her feelings. Because obviously the way she acted at times was well beyond what most people find acceptable.

I also really felt a kinship with Betty in that she believed so completely in Zorg's talent and the work he had produced. I thought the scene where she cooked him a celebration dinner was just gorgeous, and could even understand where she was coming from when she did her comb-slashing thang. Though other [most?] people would obviously empathise with the slashee. I found it very easy to be sympathetic to Betty and my heart broke for her several times over (I was in tears several times too) but after watching it with my boyfriend we discussed it and I did come to realise that the feeling of sympathy for Betty and the understanding of the way she behaved definitely wasn't universal for everyone who watched the film. I guess it will vary from person to person, as with any film or book or whatever.

At the risk of sounding like a pervert, I really enjoyed the sex scenes, too. They were very, er, sexy. I usually cringe my way through Hollywood sex scenes as they are always either hammer and tongs or softly-lit schmaltz. I thought the intimacy and sexual relationship between the two of them was very true to life and a more accurate depiction of love-making than I've ever seen on film before.

I may think of more things I want to say, but basically all in all I think it is one of the best films I've ever seen. I'm really glad it was nominated (and won! Though I had bought it already anyway) and definitely took a lot from the story and the characters.

Oh, and ITA Beatrice Dalle is completely stunning :heart:
  • Options
    Just to say the first hour of Wednesday chat has been put aside for a discussion of Betty Blue. For more details check out -
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=108987

Or just head along to chat at 7pm on Wednesday using the following link -
    http://www.thesite.org/realchat/client/chat.jsp#

I will dig out my old video copy and give it a watch before then
  • Options
    An interesting article from yesterday's Guardian on the portray of mental health problems in films:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1970100,00.html