Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the 'secure' biometrics we're told about

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
have already had the 1st steps to copying done, by the guardian and a hired software engineer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/idcards/story/0,,1950226,00.html

always goes to show to never trust government IT projects

if you didn't read it fully, they extracted his passport information electronically, this would in the wrong hands allow a forgery to be made, and combined with fact people aren't great with faces really, nor are computers (25% failure rate) you could be the victim of ID fraud on a 'secure' medium which make sit even more valuble

and who says ID cards would work :(

Comments

• Options
    Aren`t they designed to do what they did ? (i.e. give out that information ) :chin:
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Aren`t they designed to do what they did ? (i.e. give out that information ) :chin:

kind of, but there's official machines that can just read, this can extract the data, and it is possible to brute force crack a key out

this 'security' of a biometric passport is that it is supposed to be far harder to forge, when actually they've got the 1st step done which is extracting the info to a PC, which can then be cloned onto another chip and printed on a forged passport.....

imo this means it is not worth another £30 on top of existing passport fee (if you arent aware)
  • Options
    imo this means it is not worth another £30 on top of existing passport fee (if you arent aware)

Sure.

But it`s, as usual, a trade-off. If you want to travel you are going to jump through the hoops of the coercive members of the tribe.

The time to be "aware" about this was a number of years ago.

Considering your concerns I would guess that your awareness would be best served looking at what goodies they have lined up for your future surveillance.