Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Junk food ad crackdown announced

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

Do you think this will have much effect on what the under 16's eat? I reckon that the really young children will benefit, if they grow up without the ads on tv, but the older children are a bit of a lost cause seeing as they've already been exposed to the adverts for a long time already.

Do you think that TV advertising of junk food actually has a negative effect anyway?

Should the ban have gone further, like the British Heart Foundations says, and ban all junk food ads before the watershed?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, they should ban all junk food ads until kids are tucked in bed.

McDonalds are the biggest distributors of toys in the world. That's how they lure children into their "resturants" in the first place. That's how they capture generation after generation of children and make them demand they are taken there for lunch.

Remove the ads, and hopefully you will remove the reason for children to go there. It might be too late for some kids, but the next generation might have a chance.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    McDonalds are the biggest distributors of toys in the world. That's how they lure children into their "resturants" in the first place. That's how they capture generation after generation of children and make them demand they are taken there for lunch.
    isnt that also partly the parents fault?

they should exercise their right to tell their children "NO" more

i was brought up that mcdonalds was a treat, if i did well at school

some of my friends were allowed to go every saturday

imo, a lot of this is down to the parents

whatever is advertised on tv, the kids are gonna want, toys, cereals, burgers, sweets, pop.....we cant ban all adverts surely? where do you draw the line?
  • Options
    I'm for anything that stops the aggressive advertising campaigns aimed at kiddies.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:

they should exercise their right to tell their children "NO" more

i was brought up that mcdonalds was a treat, if i did well at school

some of my friends were allowed to go every saturday

imo, a lot of this is down to the parents

whatever is advertised on tv, the kids are gonna want, toys, cereals, burgers, sweets, pop.....we cant ban all adverts surely? where do you draw the line?
    Yes you have a point there. It is partly the parent's fault.

However I am not a parent and I am sure it must be hard for many. There is a lot of peer pressure amongst children and if your kids are the only ones in their class not being allowed to go to McDs and not getting the toys all their classmates have, you're due for weekly battles and tantrums.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I'm for anything that stops the aggressive advertising campaigns aimed at kiddies.

I agree with this, but is it likley to have any affect? No.

Kids know what tastes yummy, and what don't. As Littleali said, for me, McDonalds was a rare treat. After I was about 12 anyway, I would have prefered a pub bar meal. Pie, or maybe Fish n Chips, or Roast Beef. Heh.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    It is, you're right, but banning the advertising AND having parents say no is likely to be more effective than just one or the other.
    Littleali wrote:
    whatever is advertised on tv, the kids are gonna want
    So if they don't see them on tv, they won't want them ... ?
  • Options
    So if they don't see them on tv, they won't want them ... ?
    i didnt say that did i? :confused:

my point was, it works with all things, not just food, so where do u draw the line?

but obviously if they are sat watching tv and an advert for something that looks cool, they are gonna say "want that"

i know i did around christmas time when advert after advert is for a toy :thumb:
  • Options
    I know you didn't I was following on from your point. I'm not being agressive, I am being discursive :p

eta- I meant, if they want them after seeing them on tv, and they are taken off the tv they are less likely to want them because they can't see them.
  • Options
    I I meant, if they want them after seeing them on tv, and they are taken off the tv they are less likely to want them because they can't see them.
    no

when i was 7,8,9,10 etc there was hardly any adverts for mcdonalds but i was still well aware of it's existance

but lucky for me, i had parents who stood their ground and let me know that i couldnt go there every day, not all kids are that lucky, and thats a huge problem