Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Banking no longer "free"?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What will happen to people that have different wages every month?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Corporation bosses in shameless greed-motivated scheme shocker!

Poor suffering banks. The government goes and has the temerity to tell them to stop ripping customers off with breathtakingly high charges and fees. What are they to do? Imagine if they havd to tell their long-suffering shareholders projected profits for next year will go down from 9.5bn to 8.8bn. They are entirely justified in starting to charge some customers £10 a month for the pleasure of making profits from their money in the first place.

:rolleyes:

Come the revolution there won't be enough walls to put all the bastards that deserve it up against it. :mad:

Just move to another bank. if they loose customers they'll soon backtrack.

PS Does you final comment mean that once we banned glorification of fascism, we also need to look at glorification of banking charges :D
  • Options
    Well it makes sense to charge the poor people, if they go overdrawn, then they can extort even more money by collecting overdrawn fees.
  • Options
    My wages vary each month and sometimes are not much, other times are enough and this First Direct plan is just making it so only the rich or well paid can have bank access.

I only hope that First Direct go bankrupt in a big way and other banks that are not trying to steal hard earned money pick up as many of their customers as is possible!
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    No shit thats how they make alot of their money. They also earn quite a bit from charging the 1 in 5 people that regularly go overdrawn.

Yeah, when they lend me money, I pay interest on it. When I lend them money, they don't pay interest on it. Funny that. Maybe I'll invoice them.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Anyway, i didnt read the article, they are using another reason. When the above way of making money doesn't become common practice UK will have similar bank costs to Europe as they try to maintain current rates of profit.

They make far too much profit. There's no need.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    The folly of trying to alter prices. Alter them in one place and they change in another.
    They wouldn't have to change if people weren't obsessed by greed would they?

It's not as if the HSBC group had no profits to play with, exactly...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    They make far too much profit. There's no need.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Intelligent comment as usual dis. Well done.
  • Options
    You forget we are one of a few remaining countries with free banking. It amazes me that people seem to assume free banking is a right (my memory isn't great but wasn't it HSBC who first brought in free banking?). Perhaps you should check your small print, as much as it may be nasty to introduce fees, the banks can and will do it. Whether consumers agree is another matter.
  • Options
    Banks already make lots of money off our money. THERE IS NO NEED FOR THEM TO CHARGE.
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yeah, when they lend me money, I pay interest on it. When I lend them money, they don't pay interest on it. Funny that. Maybe I'll invoice them.

You do get paid interest. Just not as much as they charge you.
  • Options
    Which means banking is not free at the moment anyway. Most current bank accounts give you a grand total of 0.1% APR on your current account. That's how they make much of their money.

All but one of the banks refuse to pay interest on any cheques paid in for 3 full days at least. A clever little scheme that earns them additional fortunes.

Most of them are just greedy scumbags working endlessly to find new ways to rip people off. Remember the time when it looked as if they were all going to start to charge for withdrawals from cash machines? They only stopped due to massive outrage and the supermarkets offering free cash withdrawals with any purchase.

The more wealth people handle and own, the more tight-fisted and greed-consumed they become.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    Banks already make lots of money off our money. THERE IS NO NEED FOR THEM TO CHARGE.

Exactally. They are just being greedy fucks.
  • Options
    Saeed M wrote:
    You do get paid interest. Just not as much as they charge you.

No. I don't get paid interest. I think I know my own bank account, thanks.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Banks already make lots of money off our money.

I thought it was the Bank of England`s money ? :chin:
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I thought it was the Bank of England`s money ? :chin:

Actually it's a promisary note.
  • Options
    Actually it's a promisary note.

A promise of what,though ? ;)
  • Options
    You want to debate what money is, start a thread dude.
  • Options
    You want to debate what money is, start a thread dude.

You started it :p
  • Options
    Well if HSBC think they can start that with my account, they can fuck off. I'm fed up of them offering me banking plus. I dont need it, I'm not paying for something I dont need. Banks make a lot of their money from business banking (I should now, the charges at work are horrendous) and from loans/mortgages. Most companies pay by BACS now days as its cheap, easy to do and good for the cash flow. I did get paid by cheque for a while, and waiting for the cheque to clear, espically when I'd get the money after the last day of the month. The whole banking system is based on greed.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    You started it :p

Finished it too :p