Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Vegetarian Food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im considering giving myself a break from meat for a while, I've gotten a bit fed up of it and fancy a change.

So does anyone have any good vegetarian websites/cookbooks they can recommend me? Im not into beans and pulses or tofu/quorn etc. Im just wanting to have more veggie based meals rather than just some veg bunged on the side of my plate.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Things that you would normally cook with meat are really nice with a bunch of mixed veg instead. For example, a veggie lasagne is gorgeous. I would never make it with quorn mince or anything, just lots of mushroom, courgette, tomatoes, onion, peppers etc. You can use the same sorts of veg to make veggie fajitas.

:yum:
  • Options
    Herbs and spices are great for flavouring your veg too!
  • Options
    i like veg stirfrys. you can buy those packets of stirfry mixes (shredded veg and beansprouts) and add broccolli, mushrooms whatever you fancy with some noodles or rice and a yummy sauce like thai or black bean.

veg pasta bake or lasange like littlemissy said is nice too.
  • Options
    Soups can also be a good way to start now that we're in the winter months.

You can make some really nice hearty curries with vegetables. In supersize me, Morgan Sperlocks girlfriend cooks a delicious looking vegetable tart before his McDonaldsfest.

A delicious side dish I discovered at the weekend is Nigella's sweetcorn pudding
  • Options
    Don't know of any websites/cookbooks specifically for vegetarian, but this is my favourite vegetarian thing.

Mediterranean Vegetable Bake

1 block ready made puff pastry
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    one veg stock cube
    a squeeze of tomato puree
    1/2 - 1 tsp sugar
    mixed herbs
    1/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
    2 courgettes, diced small
    1 red pepper, diced small
    1 green pepper, diced small
    olive oil
    salt and pepper

Fry the onion and the garlic in the oil till browned, add the courgettes and peppers and fry for a few mins until softened.

Add the tomato puree, tin of tomatoes, herbs, stock cube and sugar. Season and bring to boil. Simmer 20 mins.

Add the mushrooms and simmer another roughly 10 mins until slightly thickened. Leave to cool until almost completely cold or else it'll melt the pastry.

Roll out the pastry into a large rectangle big enough to cover the base of a baking tray and fold over the top. Put the veg and tomato filling onto the base, leaving a small gap round the edge.

Brush the edge of the pastry with olive oil, fold over and press down. Make a couple of small slits in the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape, and then bake it according to the instructions on the pastry packet.

You might find you've got too much filling for the pie, but it's nice with pasta too.
  • Options
    Everything is sounding very yummy :yum:

Cant start making things til next week though but at least I have inspiration!
  • Options
    That sounds delicious, Miffy
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    That sounds delicious, Miffy

It is! It's something Birds Eye used to make, I nicked the recipe. :D

It's lovely with new/salad potatoes and green beans. :yum:
  • Options
    *has green beans*

Soup tonight but I'm hitting the shops tomorrow, I definitely want to try it :D
  • Options
    There's loadsa veggie food you can make... Chickpea burgers, shepherds pie, curries, hotpots ect... Already put one recipie up on my thread.

The Vegetarian Society offers some recipies and advice on vegetarianism.
  • Options
    yeah vegetarian society recipes are really good. also try bbc.co.uk/food and when you search click the vegtarian button
  • Options
    Veg lasagne is better than the meat one.

I'm a big fan of cous cous at the moment, Ainsley Harriots is gorge!! :yum:
  • Options
    Veg lasagne is better than the meat one.

yeah, tis my fave home cooked meal :)

chips are vegetarian :thumb: also, you can get froze nut burgers (or nut cutlets, I forget what they're called) in sainsburys. They're yum!