Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Frozen chicken

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My sister said that it is OK to eat chicken up to a month after it's use by date if it is frozen straight away. She's done this before and no harm has come to her, but i have to wonder is it really ok??

Comments

• Options
    its fine, foods use by date is only usually there too cover there arses. When it is frozen as long as you defrost it naturally there shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    We often keep chicken frozen for months. Not a problem.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Thanks guys, only i have far too much chicken to be eating within 3 days! Freezer jobbie it is then! :razz:
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    My sister said that it is OK to eat chicken up to a month after it's use by date if it is frozen straight away. She's done this before and no harm has come to her, but i have to wonder is it really ok??

Probably fine - depends how cold your freezer is..

Also note that some frozen chicken has beef or pork protein added to them - something which isn't usually shown on the label .. won't make much difference but useful for people who don't eat pork or beef to be aware of

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2116765.stm