Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

British Films

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    Rita, Sue and Bob Too! is on Flim4 tomorrow night.
    :hyper: everyone must watch it! :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    lipsy wrote:
    :hyper: everyone must watch it! :D

Seen it before mate. :thumb:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Seen it before mate. :thumb:
    i wasn't talking to you :p
  • Options
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well I watched it. It's pretty good, but I couldn't help but think that if they were ever going to make a feature-length uncut version of Coronation Street, this is what it'd turn out like.

Oh and the gang bang song. Classic. When we were about 15, my mate used to run a disco for a youth group (primary school kids), and he used to play it every week. They seemed to enjoy it.
  • Options
    i missed it :( it was on past my bedtime
  • Options
    And, in case you didn't realise, both Scum and Rita, Sue and Bob Too, were both directed by the visionary Alan Clark -

I'd highly recommend his other films as well - especiallt the Firm with Gary Oldman and Made in Britain with Tim Roth (which is becoming increasingly revelant again) - both superb, but very hard going.

Mike Leigh doesn't seem to have picked up a mention yet - simply one of the best directors Britain ever produced. Check out Naked, Meantime or High Hopes as an introduction.

On a lighter note Bedazzled - (the Peter Cook and Dudley Moore version!) is one of my favourite comedies - along with all the Python films.

Peter Greenaway is also interesting, if extremely difficult and challenging - I;d recommend The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and her Lover or Drowning by Numbers as a good place to start - though avoid the Baby of Macon or Zed and Two Noughts if you've had any to eat before hand.

Lynne Ramsay's Ratcatcher is also one of the best debut's since Ciziten Kane and well worth tracking down.
  • Options
    everyones chosen some good ones here.
    worth watching any Mike Leigh films too. I :heart: him, but hes not to everyones taste
  • Options
    I tried watching Naked (Mike Leigh) once. Thought it was shit tbh. Bleak and misanthropic. Vera Drake was good though.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Mike Leigh doesn't seem to have picked up a mention yet - simply one of the best directors Britain ever produced. Check out Naked, Meantime or High Hopes as an introduction.
    Loads of us have mentioned Secrets And Lies so far. He seems to be one of the only good British directors that actually stays and makes British films though. All the rest of them (Hitchcock, Ridley Scott etc) fuck off to make American films. You don't see Ingmar Bergman or Pedro Almodovar making Hollywood films as soon as they come calling. I just wonder how good the British film industry could be if our talent actually stayed in this country.
  • Options
    Yeah, sorry, missed Secrets and Lies being mentioned. As to Hitchcock, to be fair Frenzy is a superb British thriller/serial killer movie that Hitchcock made late in his career.

Powell and Pressburger are excellent as well - though the Red Shoes or A Matter of Life and Death might be a better introduction than some of their other films.
  • Options
    A Matter of Life and Death is a great film.
  • Options
    I haent seen secrets and lies or Naked.
    I was thinking sme of te earlier ones such as Nuts in May, Life isSweet, Abigails party/.

(fucking keyboad)
  • Options
    Human Traffic
    Football Factory,
    Quadrophenia,
    rita sue and bob too
    green street
    east is east
    the full monty
  • Options