Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

TV License refund...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay two years ago i held a license at my university halls, had decided to pay for it monthly. When you do this they take the first year entirely in the first four months then start you paying for your second year. I cancelled the license as I was going abroad for a year, and when i returned realised that I'd been paying for a second license and should get a refund. So september I rang them up and they said ah no worries get the cheque sent out to you again. I also rang them up a day later to check which address they were sending the cheque to; which was my correct home address. All should be going well, right?

November and this cheque has still not arrived. However I now have a new problem: i'm in leeds, four hours away from home, and the license is at home...somewhere. So I now have no number until I go home! however i tried ringing them up again, and after one attempt where i spoke to someone without manners and then lost my temper, i got thru on my second attempt to someone who seemed more helpful. He found the license through my name and the address, and told me that he needed to call the refund branch and find out about it, and would then get back to me.

2 days later and he's still not gotten back to me. i'm going to call up and talk to him, but other than that whats the next step from here? i#ve still got bank statements proving how much i've paid, and that the payments stopped. I'm sure that somewhere at home i still have that license and the number. But in other ways i feel like they're just trying to fob me off and not give me back my money, the theiving bastards!

So where can i go from here? im guessing it's time to start letter writing, especially as calling them just gets me an 0870 number charged to my phone. If letter writing doesn't work, which agency vets the TV licensing people? The Trading Standards Agency?

Thanks for all your help!

Comments

• Options
    Letter writing sounds like a good plan, and then try trading standards. I got my refund no problems, so they are capable of doing it!
  • Options
    Oh good :)
    What should i do whilst I can't give them the license reference number? I can give them all the dates of when it was held and the address etc, is it worth writing to them with that or should i just wait till i can find the number? the first guy basically accused me of lying etc cos i didnt have the number.
  • Options
    I'd write to them with all the dates and the address, if you're not filling in a form then how are you to know you should have included the reference number after all!
  • Options
    Anyone know if theres a certain time limit within which you have to request a refund? Reading this reminded me we never claimed ours back from last year!
  • Options
    I wouldn't expect a response to a letter either, to be quite honest, as the BBC extortionists are cunts who would greatly benefit from being put up against a wall and shot.

I think its OfCom who regulate the TV Licensing people, but as they are a Government agency you might as well whistle for your money, you won't get it.

They will fob you off forever because they have to pay for Graham Norton somehow.
  • Options
    But in other ways i feel like they're just trying to fob me off and not give me back my money, the theiving bastards!

raflmao, summut like what the green one said...