Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

ow my leg!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
every now and again (until last night i couldn't remember the last time that it'd happened..probably talking a few months) i get woken up by an agonising pain in my calf. i think it's always on the same leg. previously when i've felt my leg there's been a sprout-cut-in-half sized lump in my calf. last night there wasn't though. it feels like someone is tieing my muscles into knots and trying to push them out through my skin. :(

i wanted to scream, it really is so painful. i had to take deep breaths and everything to help control it. it's still sore/uncomfortable now a few hours on and it's tender.

i've been to the doctors about it before and she said it sounded like a muscle spasm. but she didn't say anything other than that.

does anyone else get the same thing or am i some kind of freak? :crying:

eta: okay so i did some research and found this http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003193.htm which sounds about right. but i don't want it to happen again! :(

Comments

• Options
    I used to get the same thing all the time untill I had to go for blood tests. It turned out I was really dehydrated.

Try having it in the cinema.
  • Options
    thankfully i think mine has only happened in bed! it was really bad last night. i had been drinking/dancing and it says drinking and exercise can trigger it.

i couldn't straighten my leg 'cause it hurt.
  • Options
    I get cramp in my leg everynow and then (always during the night) and it's really sore. The only thing you can do is stand up and stretch your leg. If my leg is still sore in the morning then I run cold water on it for a while and that seems to sort it out.

This is quite interesting - http://health.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question223.htm&url=http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C466089.html
  • Options
    thankfully i think mine has only happened in bed! it was really bad last night. i had been drinking/dancing and it says drinking and exercise can trigger it.

i couldn't straighten my leg 'cause it hurt.
    I bet your toes crossed eachother aswell.

It is a really painfull thing, I used to have to use loads and loads of deep freeze spray on it, which I had to keep next to my bed.

Drinking will dehydrate you, so drink plenty of water throughout the day (about 2+ltrs) and maybe even stretch out your muscle before bed.

Its funny I had to undergo all these tests when the Dr didnt think to say it could be cramp.
  • Options
    so is a muscle spasm a cramp?

it doesn't happen often (i could probably count on both hands how often it happens a year) so i don't really want to do stretches every night before i go to bed. :no:
  • Options
    so is a muscle spasm a cramp?

it doesn't happen often (i could probably count on both hands how often it happens a year) so i don't really want to do stretches every night before i go to bed. :no:
    Quick 30second light stretch aint to bad.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I get cramp in my leg everynow and then (always during the night) and it's really sore. The only thing you can do is stand up and stretch your leg. If I've my leg is still sore in the morning then I run cold water on it for a while and that seems to sort it out.

This is quite interesting - http://health.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question223.htm&url=http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C466089.html

thank you.

i'm not middle aged though. :o
  • Options
    i'm not middle aged though. :o
    Neither am I :(
  • Options
    Im younger than all of you and get it. :grump:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It happens to me sometimes, but usually if I stretch abruptly. There's also a fail-safe way to do it, if I move my big toe and not the others... Really painful, but all I do is tighten my teeth and wait until it's over.
  • Options
    I've just remembered I had this a lot more often when I was pregnant and my midwife told me it was related to a lack of pottasium and that I was to eat a banana everyday! Dont know how much truth was in that right enough cos I dont like bananas and didnt try it.
  • Options
    That's weird... this happened to me on Tuesday night... woke me up. :mad: And my leg still hurts now. I can walk today though, and yesterday I couldn't put much weight on it.
    I only get it every month or so too... usually when I'm lying down... exept once when I'd just reached the top of the stairs and keeled over... lucky I wasn't half way up or I may have fallen backwards. :eek:

I just have to relax every part of my body as best I can until it passes... But I've never been to the docs about it... I'm prone to cramps and stuff.

I think it can be a salt deficiancey (sp?)
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    That's weird... this happened to me on Tuesday night... woke me up. :mad: And my leg still hurts now. I can walk today though, and yesterday I couldn't put much weight on it.
    I only get it every month or so too... usually when I'm lying down... exept once when I'd just reached the top of the stairs and keeled over... lucky I wasn't half way up or I may have fallen backwards. :eek:

I just have to relax every part of my body as best I can until it passes... But I've never been to the docs about it... I'm prone to cramps and stuff.

I think it can be a salt deficiancey (sp?)
    If anything to much salt can cause cramps.
  • Options
    I get them sometimes too, always in the middle of the middle of the night. I try my hardest to stretch it out but sometimes it just hurts too much! :mad: As for walking on it, i can barely coordinate stretching it, let alone get out of bed!! I always find for the whole of the next day my calf is tender...glad it is not just me that suffers :thumb:
  • Options
    woohoo i'm not a freak!

well not in that sense anyway. :p
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    HIT wrote:
    I bet your toes crossed eachother aswell.

God, that can really hurt. And I get muscle spasms every so often too. Not had them for a while though.

I didn't realise it could be a symptom of dehydration though!
  • Options
    I get this too!

Dehydration and salt deficiency, according to my doc. Which is probably true, cause I know I don't drink enough.
  • Options
    now we all know we're not the only ones! :thumb:

i've never had it this bad, it's still tender even now!

how was the interview kaff?
  • Options
    now we all know we're not the only ones! :thumb:

i've never had it this bad, it's still tender even now!

how was the interview kaff?
    By the sound of it, you thought it was seriouse didnt you. :p
  • Options
    serious with an e? no.

serious without an e? no.

i was just wanting to see whether anyone else had it.
  • Options
    serious with an e? no.

serious without an e? no.

i was just wanting to see whether anyone else had it.
    :confused:
  • Options
    ditto.
  • Options
    ditto.
    HIT wrote:
    :confused:
  • Options
    what the hell are you on about?!

you said was i worried it was 'seriouse' so i said no, i just wanted to see if anyone else had had it before.

end of!
  • Options
    I was confused with post 21
  • Options
    i was being sarcastic about your spelling.
  • Options
    i was being sarcastic about your spelling.
    Why was you being sarcastic?
  • Options
    pft, get a room you 2 :razz:
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Why was you being sarcastic?

ffs you're hard work!!

let's just leave it okay. :thumb:
  • Options