Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

Clare Short - You Ask The Questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wow, she would actually ban page 3 girls? What a retard.
    I was quite surprised to find there were still bare breasts on Page 3 when I checked last week. I wonder if Rebekah Wade is still editor? She disappointed a lot of women, I think, by keeping the boobs.

Actually, while we're talking about editors, anyone know who the Mirror's editor is right now? I saw a real hatchet job on David Cameron last week, by Kevin Maguire, over his tussle with the Speaker. I didn't think the Mirror could get any more pathetic since the Moore-Sixsmith affair, but it has managed it, and this time by toadying to the guv'ment. At least Piers Morgan was against the Iraq War.
    Wow, she would actually ban page 3 girls? What a retard.
    Obviously she's jealous. ;)
    I wouldn't ban Page 3 girls. I'd ban the S*n altogether. End of the problem (and many other problems) :)

Seriously though, whereas banning a newspaper from publishing naked women is the wrong approach, she's right to criticise the existence (still around in the 21st century, incredibly) of Page 3 girls in a so-called national "newspaper". It's actually a lot worse than top-shelf magazines. At least advertise themselves for what they are, rather than masquerading themseleves as a family publication (presumably so young girls and women get the message early on that they should be getting their tits out for the lads when they grow up.

But to Short, my main issue with her is not having resigned immediately. Though she at least resigned, and she was the only Labour member with the guts to say the things many were thinking.

Jack Straw on the other hand, I look forward to that sinister character...
    I love "News in Briefs" in The Sun when they use it as an excuse to make extreme statements that they couldn't justify elsewhere in the paper.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Jack Straw on the other hand, I look forward to that sinister character...
    I almost forgot about this...

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/article1963551.ece