Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Charity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone do anything for charity? Which charities? How do you support them?

Comments

• Options
    i give all my companies fax and printer toners for recycling, money goes to youthnet, but to be honest, the company that does it for them can be a bunch of mongs. took ages to get the last lot collected.

i also donate all my clothes/shoes and stuff to charity when im done with it, aslong as they are in good nick.
  • Options
    I'm doing a sponsored walk for Children In Need next week, and normally give money to them every year as well.
    I also support Breakthrough for Breast Cancer, and buy a lot of their products, and I give money (when I can afford it, which unfortunetly isn't often) to other charities, usually related to illnesses that have affected me and my family/childrens charities. We also bought our dog from the RSPCA, and regularly give them contributions.

Other than that, it's a few irregular pennies in the charity boxes if I see them, and at Christmas I give a fiver to the firemen in town. I inherited that tradition from my mum, and my sister's picking it up as well, although last yar she gave them chocolate coins, whih they seemed grateful to recieve anyway :)
  • Options
    Forever giving away cloths, always putting money in boxes, direct debit charity account, etc.

Be careful what charity you give too though, some of them when you read the small print read every pound 10p goes to charity.
  • Options
    I'll drop a quid in a tin if i see someone collecting and it's a charity i want to support. Last few times have been Poppy Appeal, some RAF thing (dad was in the RAF and they helped him out when he was ill), HIV hospice/palliative care and McMillan nurses.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    i also donate all my clothes/shoes and stuff to charity when im done with it, aslong as they are in good nick.

You can give knackered clothes to charity shops too! They might not be able to re-sell them, but they'll still get money off the rag man :)

My main charity is the local hospice, where two of my close relatives died. I go to their fairs, put my spare pennies in the box and give them all my old clothes. I've also had a stall at the fair before and donated my proceeds. I'm a sucker for any charity shop though.
  • Options
    I do a spot of admin/fundraising locally for Friends of the Earth, and also sell raffle tickets for RNIB (yes, all my friends, family and neighbours do hate me :razz: ).

Other than that I just have a direct debit to FoE, sponsor a child through Action Aid and shop almost exclusively in charity shops.
  • Options
    I've got Direct Debits to the British Heart Foundation cause I've got hereditary heart disease in my family, and the RSPCA cause any time I see anything about cruelty to animals on TV or that then it really gets to me :(
  • Options
    I give clothes/shoes to charity shops, when I wasn't so poor I'd pay a certain amount each month to a charity for bears discarded after used in a circus and if I ever see anyone collecting for any animal charity, I'll always give what I can.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I'd pay a certain amount each month to a charity for bears discarded after used in a circus.
    That's a rather specific charity.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I put money in the charity jar up the pub on a regular basis but that's about it.

Sometimes I'll sort a homeless guy out with few fags or cans.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I put a few quid in a tin now and again, providing the person holding it, isn't hassling me. Or I stick some in the chippy/pub box.

I usually give to charities that have some meaning to me. like altzheimers(?) or Cancer research.

As for tramps... There is a few tramps in town, who sit in the same spot every weekend. I've seen them during the week, shopping and looking clean and tidy. So I don't give anything to them, I just tell them to get a job like everyone else! Scavs! :mad:
  • Options
    That's a rather specific charity.
    I had enough spare money at one point to give away, I wanted to give it to an animal charity and was thinking who to choose. We had a leaflet through the door about this and it horrified me. I'd never heard of it before and it didn't seem to get much publicity so I chose that one. I can't remember the name now but I have the leaflet somewhere for when I'm not so skint!
  • Options
    I do give some to the homeless in my city but I know a lot of the ones that pretend to be homeless so I know which ones to help out!
  • Options
    I do stupid things for Macmillan - abseilling down huge buildings, that sort of thing
  • Options
    I probably work for about an hour a week I would guess for one of two charities I do stuff for, and I give every month to Oxfam and MSF.
  • Options
    I also have a friend who I admire so much.
    He had an operation on his knee and it damaged his nerves. He developed...neuorone sympathy....gah I can't think of the whole of the name but his brain won't shut off the pain in his leg. He will be on morphine for the rest of his life and he will forever feel like he has a broken leg......yet he still does 20 hours a week voluntary for Banardos, they have also rcenlty given him some paid hours work on top and he's the nicest happiest guy I know.
    People like that put a lot to shame.
  • Options
    <Sam><Sam> Deactivated Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    koe_182 wrote:
    i give all my companies fax and printer toners for recycling, money goes to youthnet, but to be honest, the company that does it for them can be a bunch of mongs. took ages to get the last lot collected.

Hey koe_182

Sorry the company we use haven't been great - I'll get onto them because they should be making it as easy as possible to recycle for us. If you've got stuff for recycling that they still haven't collected let me know and I'll give them a call!
  • Options
    I do a lot of stuff with Scouts, which is both a charity in itself and does a lot of work for other good causes. I also give my time quite willingly as a first aider/route marshall/comms supervisor/lifeguard for any reasonable cause that asks me nicely.
  • Options
    Fuck all tbh.

Put some change in boxes and give money to homeless people now and again but that's the height of it.
  • Options
    Have sponsored various people this year for charity stuff. But that's it really.
  • Options
    i don't give money regularly, but i'd like to be able to.

when my nan died, i donated some money (not much mind you) to the hospice that cared for her and where she died. when my grandma died i donated some to her local gp practice as she'd wanted us all to do.

when my dad got remarried, they didn't want presents. so we donated some money to the woodland trust or something as requested by them.

i'll also sponsor people who are doing events for charity - it's only a few quid though but i can't afford much more.

i haven't done any in years but i've also done things for charity and got sponsored e.g. a 24hr fast and a dog walk.
  • Options
    <Sam> wrote:
    Hey koe_182

Sorry the company we use haven't been great - I'll get onto them because they should be making it as easy as possible to recycle for us. If you've got stuff for recycling that they still haven't collected let me know and I'll give them a call!

the thing is, it took a few times of me emailing and calling to get a collection arranged, then they said they would send a label for the courier that was comign to my work, and never did, so i had to make some myself while the driver waited (all while im supposed to be working). its sorted now and all to a good cause.

they dont take epson cartridges either which is a shame cos i can get 100's of them a week, there must be something someone can do with em?

ta
  • Options
    I work for the charity Love Music;Hate Racism as a volunteer doing various bits and pieces. I'll donate to other charities every now and again as i come across them (people collecting etc.) I've also donated to this charity since i went on a holiday with them and they do some really good work.

My parents also donate to Great Ormand street Hosptial as they saved my life when .. before i was born actually!
  • Options
    I give a certain amount each month to a different charity or for soponsership so I support different charities. I also give a small amount to youthnet. Old clothes go to the charity shops.
  • Options
    I give to the RSPCA, because their adverts always make me cry :crying: and I love animals, they cant protect themselves so we have to.
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I give to the RSPCA, because their adverts always make me cry :crying: and I love animals, they cant protect themselves so we have to.
    They can't protect themselves against us. That's why animals are my preferred charity.
    Yes, children are in the same boat but they have lots more willing people to give to those charities.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    They can't protect themselves against us. That's why animals are my preferred charity.
    Yes, children are in the same boat but they have lots more willing people to give to those charities.
    Yup exactly my feelings. Also I forgot to add, I give all my old clothes to the PDSA , they get a good deal out of me :yes: Though more than once I've donated something I didnt mean to and have had to buy it back :blush:
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Though more than once I've donated something I didnt mean to and have had to buy it back :blush:
    Yes but at least they still get the money for the item, think of it that way.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I don't think that's true actually. I'm pretty sure that the RSPCA is richer than the NSPCC. Could be wrong though.

Anyway, to answer my own question, I don't really do much at all. I give stuff to charity shops, though thinking about it, with some stuff it would probably be better to sell it on ebay and give the profits to charity since you'd make more. I sponsor anyone doing a sponsored event. I put change in collection boxes. And when I was a kid, I used to do the old BT Swimathon, but I haven't for years. That's about it though.

Oh and out of principle, I never give to people asking on the street. And that includes irritating people with clipboards (is it just me being really cynical, or do you reckon all these people collecting are the types that are doing it for something to add to their CV).
  • Options
    I don't think that's true actually. I'm pretty sure that the RSPCA is richer than the NSPCC. Could be wrong though.
    That may be but then you get things like Children in Need & Red Nose Day etc.