Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Family Name

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone (I expect it's the boys) got the task of continuing the family name on their shoulders?

Me & 1 cousins have that task .. all the rest are girls or male cousins to my dad's sisters.

Anyone long line family name coming to an end?

Comments

• Options
    Me and my brother are the last ones who can keep the family name alive, as my father is the only one in his family to have children.
  • Options
    My brother is the one who will keep the family name.
  • Options
    My brother.

But there are hundreds of boy cousins, and it's a very common name so I'm not too worried.
  • Options
    Is it just me or does this strike anyone else as a strange idea? It's always struck me that way, who cares if your name dies out?! :confused: Odd.
  • Options
    Think mine's coming to an end, as it's all girls unless my uncle decided to have another kid and it was a boy or he got married.
    It's not really seen as a task, no one's ever mentioned in my family that it's going to happen.
    My granma's maiden name however is widely spread throughout the family. My granma came from a very large family. But she only had 2 kids, which were my mum and uncle. My mum and uncle have only had one child each.
  • Options
    my birth surname is quite unusual. chances are if there is anyone else with the same surname, they're somehow related to me.

when i was around 6 my parents had my surname (and theirs and my sisters) changed to what it is now. one of my sisters and my dad then changed theirs back and me, my other sister and my mum kept the one we had it changed to. my mum then got re-married and took her new husbands name and 3 years ago my sister who kept the changed surname got married and took her husbands name.

so now i'm the only one left with my surname - however it doesn't have any ties to the family or anything. i just think it'll be a bit sad. :(
  • Options
    think im the only male left with my surname in the family, need to keep it going.
  • Options
    My surname isn't going anywhere - my dad has enough family to keep it alive, even if me and my sister wont carry it on.

My mum's family name will die out with her generation though, as my uncle is unlikely to ever have (or want) children. My nan's family name (my mum's mum) will die out with her mum, (my great nan) as all her children are now using their married names.
  • Options
    my dads an only child do that means theres only my brother to carry on our name. theres plenty to carry on my mums maiden name coz she has four brothers and 11 of my cousins are male.
  • Options
    Me and one cousin have to carry on our surname (in the world it seems). I need to find a girl to fuck first though.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Has anyone (I expect it's the boys) got the task of continuing the family name on their shoulders?

I have.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i`m an only child, when i go/get married, the name goes
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Is it just me or does this strike anyone else as a strange idea? It's always struck me that way, who cares if your name dies out?! :confused: Odd.

Family pride? Keeping the name all of the members of your past family have lived with? but i do agree with you - it is, after all, merely a name, but I like my family name and i do admit to a certain degree of pride. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:

Maybe more strange for a girl cos most probably dream of getting married and taking on their hubby's name

Depends also if you like your name and if it has any history to it.

Ours has a family crest and everything.. :)
  • Options
    My mum's family name is dying out, and we tease my uncle that he has to keep sprogging until he has a boy, but nobody really cares.

As for my name, there's loads of us, and my cousin's got a boy so the name's safe for a while yet.
  • Options
    most probably dream of getting married and taking on their hubby's name
    lol where did you get that from Diamond?
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    lol where did you get that from Diamond?

Yeah Yeah, just you wait until you find the right fella and you'll be all doey eyed and everything .. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah Yeah, just you wait until you find the right fella and you'll be all doey eyed and everything .. :thumb:
    :p
    oh so you mean once we have a partner to marry....I may agree there but it's not something I dream about, especially when single.
  • Options
    My boyfriend and his dad both only have sisters, so it is now my boyfriends task of continuing the family name, as it is quite unusual. Whereas for me, my surname is relativley common, not on a par with Jones/Smith/Davies...but common none the less, which is a good job as my dad only has me :D
  • Options
    I can't wait to get rid of my surname, it's nothing but hassle.
  • Options
    I quite like my surname, its pretty rare. I think my brother wil have kids so the name will live on, but then I want to keep my surname when I get married so it will sort of live on through my kids.
  • Options
    There are only 5 of us in the country, my parents, 1 grandparent, my sister and I. My sister is gay and doesn't want kids, so I guess its all up to me :p
  • Options
    I think only my brother is left to pass it on, and I hope he dosent marry his pig-like girlfriend :grump:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My grandpa's name is going, as he only had daughters. Mine has many others apart from me, so I'm not worried about it.

When I was little, I used to feel so guilty that my mum was a girl and my grandpa's name has to end... hehe!
  • Options
    Nah, I have a brother, my granny had 5 boys and they all have boy children too so don't see it running out soon.
  • Options
    My half-sister got married and lost her family name.

But happily, she divorced the bastard and brought it back to life again :thumb:
  • Options
    For some reason I don't think O'Neill will die out any time soon :p.

Having said that, it's a fairly old tradition for the first born son to be called Daniel, so I might call my first son that, after my dad, my grandfather, my great-grandfather, my great-great-grandfather... you get the idea :p. It's a nice name, and it's nice to have a bit of history behind it too. My eldest brother is called Daniel, but his eldest son is *not* called Daniel, so it falls to me. Well it doesn't, I just like the idea of naming my lad after his uncle / granddad / bit of family heritage there.
  • Options
    My family name hasn't a hope in hell of dying out. My boyfriend's family name is very, er, unique so I know he is very keen to sustain it. He does have three brothers though - some of whom already have kids - so it's not a worry or anything like that.
  • Options
    Ooh this hasn't even occurred to me. My mum's surname is gonna die out I guess.

But whatever happened to keeping your surname when you get married eh?? :p
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I have.
    Me too.