Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What about the Smokers and the Obese?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should the NHS continue to treat smokers and the obese?

Comments

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    There still human beings.
  • Options
    They should pay for it though.
  • Options
    It depends what they require from the NHS
  • Options
    Sorry what I meant was it depends of what they require from the NHS as to whether they should pay for it or not...of course they should still be treated!
  • Options
    Should the NHS continue to treat smokers and the obese?

And your view is ?

Yes they should. As for smoking, i don't know the cost to the NHS for smoking related illnesses, but tobacco revenue does run into billions each year.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    They should pay for it though.

They do. They pay taxes. :rolleyes:

Smokers pay far more to the treasury through excessive duties on tobacco than they cost the NHS.
  • Options
    You either accept that the concept of the NHS, and accept that it must treat the obese, smokers, people who injure themselves doing dangerous stunts, people who take overdoses, or you support everyone having to have their own health insurance instead. I don't think you can have any half measures.

The only time someone should be denied treatment on the NHS is when their doctor doesn't believe it will benefit their health, or believes that it would be unsafe to carry out treatment as a result of obesity of smoking.
  • Options
    They do. They pay taxes. :rolleyes:

Smokers pay far more to the treasury through excessive duties on tobacco than they cost the NHS.

And do the obese people pay extra taxes?

My pint is that, I don't think they should receive treatment for free on the NHS because it's self inflicted.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sofie wrote:

My pint is that, I don't think they should receive treatment for free on the NHS because it's self inflicted.

So if someone depressed cuts themselves, and has to go to hospital, they should pay too? Alcoholics and genreal bingers...

If someone was working in knowingly unsafe conditions? The list that can be put under "self inflicted" is HUGE.

Smokers pay tax - possibly as Dis said, more than others. As such, they are entitled to thier treatment they paid for. People who DON'T pay thier taxes, people who live off benefit deliberatley and can work but choose not to... well, that's a different matter entirley...
  • Options
    everyone has equal entitlement to treatment if it's needed
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So if someone depressed cuts themselves, and has to go to hospital, they should pay too? Alcoholics and genreal bingers...

Yes I think they should. Why should tax payers have to pay for someone to have treatment just because they can't control their drinking?
    If someone was working in knowingly unsafe conditions?

Why on earth would someone knowingly work in unsafe conditions?:confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Why on earth would someone knowingly work in unsafe conditions?:confused:
    Firefighters, police officers, people working with machinery, etc...?
  • Options
    Surely they try to make the situation as safe as possible?
  • Options
    They deserve the treatment, free health care is the only remaining landmark left of a fair and just society.

And as it's been said already, smokers put much more into the treasury through taxes than they take out from health care.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    And as it's been said already, smokers put much more into the treasury through taxes than they take out from health care.

Do you have a source to back this up?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Sure
    wrote:
    It is estimated that 29% of adults in the UK smoke (Office for National Statistics, 2000). Each year smoking kills 120 000 people (13 deaths per hour), making it the single most common preventable cause of death in Britain (Callum, 1998). Around half of all smokers will die prematurely because of their addiction (Peto et al, 1994). Their overall life expectancy is, on average, 8 years less than for non-smokers (Callum, 1998). Smoking also costs the National Health Service (NHS) £1500 million, with around 1000 admissions every day for smoking-related illnesses (Parrott et al, 1998). (However, the UK treasury earns £8 billion in tax on tobacco sold in the UK alone, in addition to the enormous revenue from overseas markets.)

http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/8/1/42
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

From Here

This: "Tobacco taxation amounts to £10.5 billion per year whereas a figure for NHS spending on tobacco related disease is £1.7 billion."

As for your earlier point, if someone gets injured in a car crash, should we withold treatment? What about sports injuries? liver disease caused by binge drinking (NB there is tax on alcohol too)? What about people with gall stones who then eat fatty foods? Should we stop treating infected needle sites for drug users, what about weaning them off their addiction? I could go on...

What happens to these people, where do they actually get treatment? If they have to pay for it themseleves, what happens to those who cannot afford it?
  • Options
    Since when were car crashes self inflicted?
  • Options
    Since the moment you got in and drove.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Like pregnant women, or women who want abortions ?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So if someone depressed cuts themselves, and has to go to hospital, they should pay too?

Sofie wrote:
    Yes I think they should.

So you're saying that mentally ill people should pay for the treatment they may need because they self harm ?

Sure that will go down well with a lot of Siters.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    As long as everybody pays taxes then everybody is/should be entitled to free health care.

If someone wants to smoke, the will smoke its their own body and they know the consiquences of their actions. Its stupid implememting rules of what people can/can't do.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    So you're saying that mentally ill people should pay for the treatment they may need because they self harm ?

Sure that will go down well with a lot of Siters.

Clearly she has no understanding of mental illness. When I had breakdowns I'd self-harm by cutting and punching things my hand turns greeny purple, but if I'd broken the knuckle I should have been denied treatment?
  • Options
    Why though, the broken knuckle bit ? You could say your broken knuckle was a syptom of your mental illness.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Since when were car crashes self inflicted?
    Like MoK said, since the moment one sat down at the wheel.

But even if you are suggesting that some drivers might not be at fault in an accident, are you suggesting we should charge those who were?

You simply cannot start charging people for treatment because of their lifestyles. It doesn't work like that. Where do you draw the line? Should we charge all those who get the flu if they hadn't had a jab earlier in the year? Should we charge those injured at work or on the street dure to carelessness? How about accidental pregnancies? Why should we paying for the process of delivering their new babies if the pregancy was unintentional? Etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

so, say you`re out, drunk, and are dancing and you fall over and break your ankle

going by your arguement, you should be denied treatment because it was self inflicted...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yes, smokers and the obese should be treated by the NHS.
    I don't think they should receive treatment for free on the NHS because it's self inflicted.

That's an awful lot of people you're cutting out for NHS treatment. Who exactly would be left?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Yes, they do actually.

Where do you draw the line at self-infliction?

Fat people and smokers are easy to attack. The mentally ill? They didn't choose to be mentally ill.

How about the men who died of heart attacks during the Great North Run? Should their families have to pay the NHS bills- it was self-inflicted, after all. How about sportsmen who get injuries playing sport? How about motorcyclists? How about the old lady who smashes her hip after slipping on a wet floor at home- that's surely self-inflicted as she should have been more careful.

My point is that anyone who thinks that NHS treatment should be measured on the lifestyle of the patient is an idiot because when it comes down to it 99% of all injuries are self-inflicted if you stare at it long enough.
  • Options
    The point about a universal and free healthcare service is that everyone has the right to be treated no matter how ill they are and what deliberate thing they've done to inflict it upon themselves. Smokers, as people have already pointed out, really have more of a right to healthcare than non-smokers as they are paying for it not just through normal taxes like everyone else but also through the huge duty levied on cigarettes. So really they deserve healthcare more than anyone else. If the rumours are to be believed and fatty foods are to receive tax hikes aswell, it will soon become clear that fatty and smokey in the corner of the waiting room should technically receive quicker treatment as they've given more to the NHS than non-smokng non-obese people.

If we start throwing up barriers against treatment for certain things, the second we tell one person that he or she cannot receive treatment because they are a smoker/obese/whatever, then the NHS ceases to be universal.