Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Using internet to meet people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what do you all think about meeting people on the internet? Is it really sad?! Does it ever actually work? I've met this girl on the internet, she seems great, we seem to have loads in common, have been texting and stuff. How long do you think I should go before asking if she wants to meet up? I think she likes me so far, but she's quite young (17 to my 21) so maybe she'll be a bit timid about someone off the net. Dunno. Discuss!

Comments

• Options
    I met the love of my life online, and so have lots of people on here and elsewhere.
    Quite a common way of meeting people these days, and pretty effective.
  • Options
    I met my first love/first serious girlfriend online who I was with for 2 years. It wasn't through online dating or anything it was through one of those MSN convo's where loads of people all get invited and you don't know anyone.... she was like a friend of a friend of one of my old friend's who I hadn't seen for ages, cousin or something... but yeah the point is we started talking, texting, eventually phoning eachother and then we arranged to meet up at one of her friends house parties (I didn't know anyone at all) and it went from there really... :) so no it's not sad and yes it can work.
  • Options
    I met my wife on here, and my best mate, I know its still seen as a bit sad but I really don't see why its any different to pulling in a nightclub. More likely to succeed too, I'd say.

I wouldn't rush to arrange a meet, it will come naturally as and when. It's something that can and does add to an internet friendship, but if its your first one I'd take it slowly. Talk to her about it when you're on MSN, and obviously don't forget the golden rules of meeting a stranger.
  • Options
    Hrm depends.... I'd never go seeking a relationship online...

However, I've met a mate or two off myspace... One is a postman and photographer and is totally awesome, the other I ah... Liked a lot. :o

Actually a member of thesite has transferred to my uni and a mate introduced her to me and she was like "I know you from thesite" and I was like... :eek2: wtf???

She cool tho... A fair few people off thesite are sound.
  • Options
    I have one of the best friends ever because of how often we spoke on MSN. It went from there and now we're amazing and going on holiday together and stuff.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I wouldn't rush to arrange a meet, it will come naturally as and when. It's something that can and does add to an internet friendship, but if its your first one I'd take it slowly. Talk to her about it when you're on MSN, and obviously don't forget the golden rules of meeting a stranger.

Noted. Yeah, I've met two girls off the internet before, one was disastrous, the other one wasn't really going anywhere so we both agreed to call it a day. Both were a long time ago. And yeah, I'm not in a rush as such, I just don't wanna let it go or leave it to long because I am actually interested lol, but yeah, i'll try and take my time...
  • Options
    Hrm depends.... I'd never go seeking a relationship online...

Yeah, it wasn't like I was looking for it online - it's never been a favourite method, I just tend to look on these things for shits and giggles usually, but then I came across her and was actually interested and have got more interested since, and as you may have seen from a recent post, that's rare with me, because I can't be arsed alot of the time these days. So, just wanna make sure I don't screw it all up before I start lol...
  • Options
    I've met some really cool people off the net. And your age difference isn't bad at all ... go for it! :p
  • Options
    Yeah, it wasn't like I was looking for it online - it's never been a favourite method, I just tend to look on these things for shits and giggles usually, but then I came across her and was actually interested and have got more interested since, and as you may have seen from a recent post, that's rare with me, because I can't be arsed alot of the time these days. So, just wanna make sure I don't screw it all up before I start lol...
    Yeah, for me I think that if somebody contacted me with the intention of meeting me for a date or having sex, I would consider them either desperate or lacking in social skills enough to meet somebody face to face. That's my problem with online dating...

However, I don't mind meeting friends from the internet provided they know it's platonic. That's cool with me because on places such as myspace you can see what their interests are and what they are on myspace for (friends, networking ect). Again, you have to be careful because there are a lot of predators online.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    ... and obviously don't forget the golden rules of meeting a stranger.

Yes. Rope, duct tape, chloroform, rubber gloves and a good idea where to bury the body!
  • Options
    I think the advantage with meeting online, is its much easier to work out who you really get on with, and if you dont feel interested in each other or conversation flow naturally, then you dont feel obliged to sit there talking to them and it being awkward.
    Me and my bf met on faceparty, and while neither of us were looking for anything serious, it all just came so naturally and was just brilliant from the start, whereas there were plenty of ones who were rejected quickly and painlessly.
    Ive also met a few real life friends online. One of my best friends I met in a chat room, and it turned out she lived down the road from me. That was 6 years ago now.
  • Options
    I think the advantage with meeting online, is its much easier to work out who you really get on with, and if you dont feel interested in each other or conversation flow naturally, then you dont feel obliged to sit there talking to them and it being awkward.

Absolutely. Meeting new people face-to-face can be awkward for a while but if you have spent some time online beforehand gauging their likes, dislikes, personality etc it gives you something to go on when you do finally meet up.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Yes. Rope, duct tape, chloroform, rubber gloves and a good idea where to bury the body!

If it's a big ugly bloke i'll just remove his meat and two veg with a blunt pair of scissors...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Absolutely. Meeting new people face-to-face can be awkward for a while but if you have spent some time online beforehand gauging their likes, dislikes, personality etc it gives you something to go on when you do finally meet up.

Yeah. I wouldn't agree with Moonrat that it's only for people with a lack of social skills - so many people are at it these days. I do however, think that the internet and mobile phones are maybe not helping our social skills these days...
  • Options
    If it's a big ugly bloke i'll just remove his meat and two veg with a blunt pair of scissors...

:lol:
  • Options
    Yeah, for me I think that if somebody contacted me with the intention of meeting me for a date or having sex, I would consider them either desperate or lacking in social skills enough to meet somebody face to face. That's my problem with online dating...

But at the same time if someone came up to someone in a club with the sole intention of having sex they'd be thought of as a bit desperate. I would.
  • Options
    One of my best friends met his wife on a dating website. He was like you, a bit sceptical of whether it would actually work, and decided to try it just for a bit of a laugh. Turned out pretty well :)
    I would consider them either desperate or lacking in social skills enough to meet somebody face to face. That's my problem with online dating...

There's a quote from the film "Birthday Girl" which fits quite well here I think: When you think about it, England is just a small island. I mean, I know that gives you about 20 million girls to choose from, but if you live in a small town and work long hours, you're just not going to get the chance to meet them all. I always thought people who did this sort of thing were... I had an image
    that they were losers. Not losers. A bit sad. But I think this is the modern world. And I think really it's quite a brave move. Quite a brave, reasonable thing to do.
    (He's talking about getting a Russian bride off the internet, but the sentiment applies just as well to any way of meeting people online).
    Again, you have to be careful because there are a lot of predators online.

There are a lot of predators anywhere. You have to be careful, but no more careful than in most situations where you're getting to know a stranger better.
  • Options
    Moonrat wrote:

:yes: I think that to an extent tbh. However, I do agree with Kermit about the whole clubbing thing to an extent too. Nothing is worse than boys approaching you desperately in clubs. I met a boy from the internet once. I had just come out a three year relationship and was going through the stage of "needing someone" because I wasn't used to being alone so when this boy came along, I was like, awww he's lovely sorta thing and became close to him very quickly. I wanted everything I had from my ex, out of a serious relationship too soon. I don't think I would have met up with him if I was myself tbh. He was a lovely guy and still is but like, its not something I do. I don't meet boys off the internet. I like to be mates in real life with a boy before I date them. Anyways, we dated for a while but it soon fizzled out. It was when I realised that I wasn't the only girl he had dated from the internet that I thought "can't he pull in real life or something?" then I heard about him dating yet another girl off the internet after me. I was a bit like....:rolleyes: However, I only thought that at the time when I found out as I was upset. Its not what I think now. I was just angry at the time.

I would never ever meet up with anyone off the internet again with the intention of anything more than friendship tbh. Meeting someone off the internet with the intention of something more than friendship was a complete and utter disaster for me. However, we are friends now which is a good thing so something came out of it.I just wasn't ready for another relationship at the time that the whole thing came about as I was still getting over my ex and how he had treated me. I needed "me time". I couldn't see it at the time but its what I needed.

Without meaning to sound big headed, I have no problem pulling people in real life. I can easily meet boys in the real world. However, that doesn't mean that its a bad way of meeting people. It works for some people. It just doesn't work for me.

I've made very good friends who I've met on the internet though. Probably made some friends for life off here.
  • Options
    It was when I realised that I wasn't the only girl he had dated from the internet that I thought "can't he pull in real life or something?" then I heard about him dating yet another girl off the internet after me. I was a bit like....:rolleyes:

Yeah, that says to me you actually quite liked him until you found that out and then you were like "ohh, can't be seen with this freeko, I'm going to dump you now you socially inept little internet geek because I'm actually to good for you"
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But at the same time if someone came up to someone in a club with the sole intention of having sex they'd be thought of as a bit desperate. I would.
    Yep totally... But then it depends on what clubs you go to. If you go to the sort of club that's a meat market then you will meet people who are out to get laid. If you go to a club for the music it is often less likely although they are always around. But I agree... People do do that too and are just as desperate.
    Yeah. I wouldn't agree with Moonrat that it's only for people with a lack of social skills - so many people are at it these days. I do however, think that the internet and mobile phones are maybe not helping our social skills these days...
    No they're not. You can create whatever character you want on msn, you don't have to be yourself. The same with text messaging. You can fake who you are in person but it's not as easy as your body language is on show. I have met a few cool friends off the internet but I would still be dubious if somebody had chatted me up over msn beforehand.
    There's a quote from the film "Birthday Girl" which fits quite well here I think: When you think about it, England is just a small island. I mean, I know that gives you about 20 million girls to choose from, but if you live in a small town and work long hours, you're just not going to get the chance to meet them all. I always thought people who did this sort of thing were... I had an image
    that they were losers. Not losers. A bit sad. But I think this is the modern world. And I think really it's quite a brave move. Quite a brave, reasonable thing to do.
    (He's talking about getting a Russian bride off the internet, but the sentiment applies just as well to any way of meeting people online).
    I think that the idea of meeting people online is becoming less of a "sad" thing to do, but again... At least in my opinion I wouldn't want to be with somebody who was desperate enough for a relationship that they joined a dating site or flirted with me online before meeting me. It's harsh I know... If you meet a mate online and it developes in to love then cool...
    There are a lot of predators anywhere. You have to be careful, but no more careful than in most situations where you're getting to know a stranger better.
    For sure, there are a lot of predators out there... But a lot of people open themselves up more online to a stranger.
  • Options
    I think that the idea of meeting people online is becoming less of a "sad" thing to do, but again... At least in my opinion I wouldn't want to be with somebody who was desperate enough for a relationship that they joined a dating site or flirted with me online before meeting me. It's harsh I know... If you meet a mate online and it developes in to love then cool...

Yeah, but the bit you've got around your neck is that everybody on a dating site or everybody who chats to someone of the opposite sex on the internet is 'Desperate for a relationship'. Some people join these things for a bit of fun, or a bit of an alternative way of meeting new people, or some people do it because they find it hard to chat to the opposite sex when they first meet in public or something - It doesn't mean the're all sad desperate losers who cry themselves to sleep every night because the're so desperate to get hitched for the rest of their lives...
  • Options
    ive only met a couple of people off the internet, and ive always found it a good experience, no bad ones as of yet. one of which is my current girlfriend, which funnily enough met through here.

im of the differing oppinion to a lot of other people, i'd prefer to meet someone IRL asap, i just feel that you can get a better grasp of the person face to face, than through txt.

but its all good.
  • Options
    I think things are changing, it isn't all about desperation. One of my mates is quite high in a major bank and she doesn't have the time to meet people- or not non-work people, anyway, and she can't really go out with a work person for professional reasons.

It is easier to fabricate a personality online, because there isn't the same level of physical interaction, and context is lost, but I don't necessarily think that means everyone is a predator. Many people will have overstated personalities online because they are much freer from social constraints, but that isn't always a bad thing.

I do see where you're coming from, though, and I do find the faceparty pervs pretty pathetic. But then I think the meat market is pathetic too, and thats all faceparty is.
  • Options
    Leicester Luke, I didn't dump him. He split up with me for a number reasons, one of which was because of the distance. He doesn't lack any social skills whatsoever tbh. And tbh, I don't think I'm "too good" for anyone. I think the opposite infact...
  • Options
    Koe,

You are probably thinking of bomberman444

He was my ex of three years. I didn't meet him off here though and he no longer uses these message boards. I met him in college.

Not many people knew about me and this guy who I referred to above. He isn't necessarily off here either.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think things are changing, it isn't all about desperation. One of my mates is quite high in a major bank and she doesn't have the time to meet people- or not non-work people, anyway, and she can't really go out with a work person for professional reasons.

It is easier to fabricate a personality online, because there isn't the same level of physical interaction, and context is lost, but I don't necessarily think that means everyone is a predator. Many people will have overstated personalities online because they are much freer from social constraints, but that isn't always a bad thing.

I do see where you're coming from, though, and I do find the faceparty pervs pretty pathetic. But then I think the meat market is pathetic too, and thats all faceparty is.
    I agree... I don't mean to generalise about people online or say my opinion is absolute, but it is derived from my experience.

I'm not saying that everybody is a predator, but I do believe that it is easier for predators to get to somebody... Especially if they were vulnerable, painfully shy or over-trusting. It isn't always a bad thing, it is each to their own (but so far hasn't been for me) and it is sad that some people are so busy they have to resort to it.

But yeah... Meat market, either online or in real life is sad.
  • Options
    You are probably thinking of bomberman444

He was my ex of three years. I didn't meet him off here though and he no longer uses these message boards. I met him in college.

Not many people knew about me and this guy who I referred to above. He isn't necessarily off here either.

i wasnt actually, i was thinking of someone with the name similar to a biscuit...

im not gonna say it cos its not fair.
  • Options
    Look guys, can we keep things civil please?
    We are all allowed to state our opinions on here - within reason. That means without being rude and offending others.
    You can be honest, just not rude, please be considerate of other peoples' feelings and be careful with your language.

Thanks
  • Options
    [QUOTE='-[MoonRat]I do believe that it is easier for predators to get to somebody... Especially if they were vulnerable, painfully shy or over-trusting.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, and the problem with the internet is that there quite a few vulnerable people on here, so it makes the problem appear more exaggerated.
  • Options
    i don't think theres anything wrong with meeting people from the internet. its just another medium really. it was considered sad up until about a year ago but now it seems everyone is doing it.
    the only thing i would think was a bit odd is if thats the ONLY place someone could meet their friends or partners, as if they lack the social skills to also do it in real life.