Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bonfire night

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having a small party so doing -

Some hearty/rib sticking soup (the pumpkins i bought for Halloween have since found out, like someone said, aren't very good for eating as they're grown for size)
Decent sausages/burgers/hot dogs (not the crappy ones with RCM :yuk: in 'em and veggie alternatives.
Baked spuds.

Pudding ????

Any ideas. Something for me to make.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    No mulled wine?

I always found big pots of curry or chilli goes down well, or bowls of roasties.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My mum always used to make red lentil soup on bonfire night....it's amazing and the cups you drink it out of keep your hands warm too...and it's vegetarian aswell if you're trying to please the veggies,
    for pudding...hmmm home made apple crumble with custard goes down a treat :yum:
  • Options
    You could do a stew. Warm wintery food obviously goes down best.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think apple strudel would make a nice pudding :)
  • Options
    Roast Chesnuts. My old man picked hundreds today on the forest and although I'm not overly keen on them most people love them.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Toffee apples!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    JsT wrote:
    Toffee apples!

:yes: Definitely.

I second the mulled wine too.
  • Options
    bonfire gathering this year should be really nice. if only i had a few friends to make me haha ha.
  • Options
    Sticky toffee pudding and toffee sauce. I have a recipe for one that's oven baked and it's a cinch.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Sticky toffee pudding and toffee sauce. I have a recipe for one that's oven baked and it's a cinch.

:yum: Oh yes, that sounds rather good!
  • Options
    Can you PM that recipe Miffy ? Ta muchly. Mmmm mulled wine sounds a good idea too, after i've let the fireworks off of course :)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Skive wrote:
    Roast Chesnuts. My old man picked hundreds today on the forest and although I'm not overly keen on them most people love them.
    I love them. Never had them until I came to the UK, and now I associate them with Christmas.
  • Options
    I can put it here. It really is easy, you can make the sponge in advance and reheat it too.

I should point out before I start that whilst you're making it this looks like the most revolting thing ever, but it tastes delish so you'll just have to trust me! At least forewarned is forearmed, I got quite a shock the first time I made it!

180g stoned dates (Medjool dates are the best)
    1 tsp bicarb
    160g unsalted butter
    180g golden caster sugar
    2 med eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    180g self raising flour
    120g light muscovado sugar
    4 Tbsp double cream

Chop the dates into small pieces, put into a saucepan with 250 ml water bring to a bubble.

Add the bicarb, be prepared to take it off the heat and stir like crazy whilst it bubbles up (it will subside eventually). Leave to simmer gently for about 5 minutes. (It will look hideous, like nothing you'd ever want to put near your mouth! Don't panic!)

Beat half the butter with the golden caster sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and flour. Then slowly beat in the contents of your saucepan, water and all.

Grease and line a 20cm round or 22cm square baking tin (roughly) - I just line the bottom - pour in the mixture and bake at 180c/gas 4 for 40 minutes.

To make the sauce put the muscovado sugar, remaining butter and cream into a saucepan, stir them together over a low heat until melted, then whack up the heat and bring it to a good boil for a couple of minutes.

Serve the sponge sliced into portions and pour over the sauce. I think double cream to pour is a necessity with this too. More than enough to feed 8 greedy people, but could well stretch to 10 or 12 I reckon, cause trust me, you don't need much of this!
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    I love them. Never had them until I came to the UK, and now I associate them with Christmas.

I don't dislike them, I just don't much like the either.

Rubber what about baked potatoes (wrapped in foil and cooked in the bonfire if you're having one)? We used to do that as kids.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote:
    (wrapped in foil and cooked in the bonfire if you're having one)? We used to do that as kids.

Ummm. Also bananas with mars bars in the middle, wrapped in foil and then put on the bonfire. I also love toasted marshmallows.
  • Options
    digestive, marshmallow and chocolate buttons layered up is awesome.

biscuit-marshmallow-chocolate bits-biscuit wraped in foil and put in hot coals. It's a winner.

ETA: Ladyjade, where are you from then?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:

ETA: Ladyjade, where are you from then?
    Melbourne
  • Options
    The best place:p

you've got to do some parkin, its the law. Pie and peas with mint sauce too.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Having a small party so doing -

Some hearty/rib sticking soup (the pumpkins i bought for Halloween have since found out, like someone said, aren't very good for eating as they're grown for size)
    Decent sausages/burgers/hot dogs (not the crappy ones with RCM :yuk: in 'em and veggie alternatives.
    Baked spuds.

Pudding ????

Any ideas. Something for me to make.
    Is this an open invitation? :D
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Is this an open invitation? :D

Yeah, is it?! I could just jump on a train! ;)

You don't mind me bringing my six kids, do you? :lol:
  • Options
    I suppose it depends if you want to be running around cooking and stuff while people are there - if you don't, then i would suggest things like chilli or spag bol or stew that you can cook in advance and leave simmering on the stove to stay warm.

For dessert, either do something warm that can be preassembled and bunged in the oven to heat up or cook (apple crumble/pie, bread and butter pudding, etc) or something cold that you can pull out of the fridge - like trifle or a tart or something.

That's what i'd do anyway. And soup is always good, and easy - just bung a load of veg together, cook it and whizz it up! :)
  • Options
    I suppose it depends if you want to be running around cooking and stuff while people are there - if you don't, then i would suggest things like chilli or spag bol or stew that you can cook in advance and leave simmering on the stove to stay warm.

:yes:

That sort of food is perfect because it's good hearty food and good for this time of year. Curry's good too. Big fuck off pots are what you need!

As for drinks
    Mulled wine, Sloe Gin and Cherry Brandy are always good this time of year.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

As for drinks
    Mulled wine, Sloe Gin and Cherry Brandy are always good this time of year.

mmmm cherry brandy :love:

I always associate mulled wine with christmas though, having it at bonfire night is too soon!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Ummm. Also bananas with mars bars in the middle, wrapped in foil and then put on the bonfire.

yummmm...
  • Options
    toffe apples, popcorn, chocholat brownie.