Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

training supplements?protein/creatine etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Recently I visited sports supplement/health shop. I'm a complete novice to the world of weight lifting and sports nutrition so I found it all quite fascinating.

One part of the shop was the bodybuilding section, with many different brands of whey protein powders, creatines and all sorts of crazy substances that apparently enhance your training performance. they also sell these protein bars that claim to pack over 50grams of protein into a bar of less than 300calories.
I found it all quite overwhelming but after a consultation with one of the shop assistants I purchased a tub of creatine, a tub of protein powder and some pills called "ache-free"
So what do all the trainers on the board think of training supplements?
Do you use them?
Is one brand better than the other or is "protein just protein"?
Should they be used often or should they just complement a good diet?
How much is too much?
Is it better to just train naturally?

I'm interested in what people think.....
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't call my opinion founded, but I'm against any supplements - not morally, but it's just a principle thing. I wouldn't say it's better to train naturally, as it's obviously up to the individual. I did a search on google but all i could find were biased articles trying to sell you their "BEST SUPPLEMENTS, THE RIGHT TRAINING, DIET AND SUPPLEMENTS FOR YOUR BODY TYPE. ORDERING SUPPLEMENTS. FREE WEEKLY FITNESS TIPS ..." :p I can't say I'm surprised though.
  • Options
    I had weighlifting training before but I have never used any supplements. I would just load on more protein-base diet like gulping (literally) egg whites every day. Yes, I would suggest a healthy and natural diet to go with the weighlifting training. That's the best combination.
  • Options
    Tribal wrote:
    Recently I visited sports supplement/health shop. I'm a complete novice to the world of weight lifting and sports nutrition so I found it all quite fascinating.

One part of the shop was the bodybuilding section, with many different brands of whey protein powders, creatines and all sorts of crazy substances that apparently enhance your training performance. they also sell these protein bars that claim to pack over 50grams of protein into a bar of less than 300calories.
    I found it all quite overwhelming but after a consultation with one of the shop assistants I purchased a tub of creatine, a tub of protein powder and some pills called "ache-free"
    So what do all the trainers on the board think of training supplements?
    Do you use them?
    Is one brand better than the other or is "protein just protein"?
    Should they be used often or should they just complement a good diet?
    How much is too much?
    Is it better to just train naturally?

I'm interested in what people think.....
    Train naturally? :eek2:

Unless your injecting large amounts of exogenous hormones, your natural regardless of using nutritional supplements or not.

IMO and experience, you don't need supplements as a novice. I spent or wasted as a better word loads of money on supplements that basically are all hype and no results.

After about a year of training you can consider using creatine, I honestly believe that apart from protein shakes, creatine is the only supplement that really does work.

All you need to gain mass/strength is a good solid diet high in calories, protein, fat and carbs, 4 litres of water and a decent anaerobic training regime.

Oh and a good multi vitamin/mineral.

Don't make the mistake I did and spend loads of money on supps, I was stupid and have learnt my mistakes. And certainly don't do what most inexpirienced idiots do and use performance enhancing drugs after a few weeks of training.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    HIT wrote:
    Don't make the mistake I did and spend loads of money on supps, I was stupid and have learnt my mistakes

Yeah i done the same a few years ago, spent way too much on whey protein and creatine and didn't really take much effect.

You do need alot of training under your belt before taking supplements
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Yeah i done the same a few years ago, spent way too much on whey protein and creatine and didn't really take much effect.

You do need alot of training under your belt before taking supplements
    Whey protein is alright its other supps like ecdy, methox, etc.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    HIT wrote:
    Whey protein is alright its other supps like ecdy, methox, etc.

Considering the amount i spent, it was a waste as more training was needed at the time. Although if you can consume the protein naturally in foods, thats all i do at the moment, haven't the money to spend on tubs of powder
  • Options
    HIT -
    Thanks for the advice
    Perhaps "training naturally" was a bad phrase, I just meant to ask if it is better to get all your protein from food (where possible) instead of using supps.
    I'v only been training for just over 2 months and I'm not really looking to bulk up just yet, I'm just focusing on finding good form, getting myself in generally good shape and quite a bit of cardio, I'm generally doing 12 reps in a set of exercises.
    I assume that when you say "anaerobic" you mean increasing the weight so you can only do a few reps per set?
  • Options
    Tribal wrote:
    HIT -
    Thanks for the advice
    Perhaps "training naturally" was a bad phrase, I just meant to ask if it is better to get all your protein from food (where possible) instead of using supps.
    I'v only been training for just over 2 months and I'm not really looking to bulk up just yet, I'm just focusing on finding good form, getting myself in generally good shape and quite a bit of cardio, I'm generally doing 12 reps in a set of exercises.
    I assume that when you say "anaerobic" you mean increasing the weight so you can only do a few reps per set?
    The only time I use protein shakes are after my w/o (whey protein), and before bed (miccella casein). The rest comes from whole food sources.

Regardless of weather you want to bulk or stay conditioned and toned etc. you need protein to build and repair the muscles. A bulk is when you consume high calories so your gaining weight. However if you dont want to add serious mass (bulk) then keep your calories at about maintenance (which is usually 3000 calories a day). Also another thing to remember is that doing too much cardio can be counterproductive as it interfears with recovery and burns too many calories that can/should be fueling your muscles.

I understand as a beginner you want to find the ropes first, so you dont want to train as intense as you will be in the future.

The word anaerobic is just a fancy word for weight training, like aerobic for cardio. Remember as a beginner to training is that you grow and recover out of the gym with good nutrition and rest not in the gym as training is only a 'stimulant' to growth.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated.
    I'v stocked up on tuna and chicken breasts so thats most of my protein fix sorted.
    So if/when I start bulking, I'll need to cut out the cardio to get optimum results?
  • Options
    I wouldn't say cut it out all together. I personally do, but alot of people disagree with me.

A 20 minuete low intensity session on the same days as your weight training.