Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Car Accessories

2»

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What engine are you on about here? The old CVH lump, or the newer Zetec series? The Zetec is lame at best, you'd be far better starting with the 1800cc unit and popping in cams and throttle body from the 2.0. Will instantly make 130bhp.

The CVH lump isn't too great. I had one as a first car, and although the engine was strong and worked well, they aren't great for tuning. They aren't very torquey for an 8v motor, and need to be revved quite hard to get anything useful from them. Stem seals are a weak point, and it's a proper pain trying to change them with the head in-situ.

Rover's K-series lump is much nicer than either of the Fords, TBH. But the Zetec 1.8 is something of a gem, when mixed with minimal work.

Stock timing gear is plenty good enough for standard tuned engines. You can even use it when making well above stock power - the camshaft pulleys on the Zetec lumps are infinitely adjustable, just like a vernier jobby.

Induction kits on the vast majority of cars are worthless in terms of power. Manufacturers are pretty good at such things these days. Actually, having just twigged on about the 2.8, you're looking at getting a Capri aren't you? Forget power. Look for rot...

;)

ETA - bigger exhaust doesn't mean more power on a NA lump. The resulting lack of back-pressure can actually create a loss in power. Boring out is more money than it is worth on the majority of cars. Might as well just start off with a bigger block, or spend the money on head work.

It's going to be an old CVH tbh. Capri 1.6 ;o Shocking, I know. Bigger exaust? Nope, just a more efficient one. I know i'll lose back pressure putting a huge one on.

It's going to be tuning more for a hobby - hence making an induction kit. I ain't gonna spend alot on it, you know. I know to look for rot on Capri's, my dad's told me allll about them. Capri tuning parts for all engines are availible cheap second hand. I ain't gonna go too far with it - thats what a V8 is for come 25 upwards when cash is availible. Good idea with some cams though, that would probably work alot better than boring the thing out.

Zetec-ing a Capri... now, there IS an idea!:D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can pop a Zetec head on the CVH block with minimal work. Should make a slight increase in power, and it'll be generally better if you switch over to the more modern fuel injection from a Mondeo.

Zetec engines are pretty durable and readily available. Find a good 1800 lump at a breaker and pop it in. I *think* the gearbox shouldn't be too much of an issue, but don't quote me. Should be a good replacement for the stock Crappi unit :).
  • Options
    In my car I have:
    a cd player + 1 cd in glove box
    a white fluffy seal
    a toy soilder (was already in the car when i bought it, felt it might get the hump if i turfed it out)
    seat belt covers in red an black 2 match my car
    a steering wheel cover (as above)
    and best of all ONLY 4 GEARS!! yay my car rocks
    (not that i can drive it)
  • Options
    I have a vanilla smelling blob and a cd player in my car. I think that's it (blah blah, mats etc...)

And i've replaced the speakers in there.

And there are some shoes in the passenger side footwell.

And... i've got a tyre changing kit and a mat in the boot.

And some cards (birthday, etc) in the glovebox. And a pedometer, i think. I don't know what's under all the CDs :)
  • Options
    and best of all ONLY 4 GEARS!! yay my car rocks

Hehe, my boyfriend and best mate both have a car with 4 gears. The boyfriend hates it, the mate thinks it's great. Don't suppose your car is (like theres) a Peugot 106 is it? :)
    (not that i can drive it)

God I KNOW that feeling :)
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Hehe, my boyfriend and best mate both have a car with 4 gears. The boyfriend hates it, the mate thinks it's great. Don't suppose your car is (like theres) a Peugot 106 is it? :)

God I KNOW that feeling :)

Nope, ive only got a Rover Metro, buyin a corsa thou when i pass!
  • Options
    i have one of those massive toys snake from ikea. its fluffy and multicoloured and called hamish:D and a blanket and a map an some wiper fluid stuff. thats about it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Can pop a Zetec head on the CVH block with minimal work. Should make a slight increase in power, and it'll be generally better if you switch over to the more modern fuel injection from a Mondeo.

Zetec engines are pretty durable and readily available. Find a good 1800 lump at a breaker and pop it in. I *think* the gearbox shouldn't be too much of an issue, but don't quote me. Should be a good replacement for the stock Crappi unit :).

Yeah, the 4 speed Capri (Stop being GTA london!):p one will probably have to go.

Zetec Capri... I like the sound of that.
  • Options
    I meant the gearbox from the Capri would probably fit the Zetec without much fiddling. The Zetec gearbox is FWD - you'll have problems fitting it to a RWD car ;).