Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A Few Questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
These may be a little random but have always made me wonder so maybe you could provide me with the answers :p

If you are pregnant and are unaware and carry on taking the pill during the pregnancy can this harm your baby?

And is it true that you can be pregnant and still have periods? Never understood how this worked if so because wouldn't women just have to test for pregnancy every month?

Probably stupid questions but would appreciate some answers :) Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    It's true you can still have periods, but it's meant to be very rare.. as for taking the pill and it damaging the baby I'm not sure, it would affect the blood supply I guess so it wouldn't do the baby any good.
  • Options
    Janjan wrote:
    It's true you can still have periods, but it's meant to be very rare.. as for taking the pill and it damaging the baby I'm not sure, it would affect the blood supply I guess so it wouldn't do the baby any good.

Thanks :) didn't realise it was that rare, just read about it a few times so it probably began to seem common to me.

Just read your thread, are you trying for a baby?
  • Options
    Some pills are worse than others. I remember dianette had some warning on it about that, but I think dianette was taken off the shelves.
    In general I think its unlikely to have much effect though. I think in theory there is a risk of overdosing a male foetus with female hormones, which could cause feminisation, but in reality, I dont think its very likely. I think falling pregnant because of missing a pill, diarroeah antibiotics etc isnt that uncommon, and i havent heard of any huge increase of mutant babies lately.
  • Options
    yeah :) have been doing for a few months now.

BAck to your post though, I wouldn't worry about it too much because being on the pill is meant to make you pretty safe anyway!
  • Options
    Janjan wrote:
    yeah :) have been doing for a few months now.

BAck to your post though, I wouldn't worry about it too much because being on the pill is meant to make you pretty safe anyway!

Aww Good Luck :D

I wasn't worried, i had just always wondered that was all so thanks for the replies, and you too Suzy :)
  • Options
    I remember questioning the bleeding while pregnant thing a while back, this was the response I got if it's any help:

There are many reasons why a woman might experience bleeding during pregnancy. Within the first few months of pregnancy, a woman might have light periods or spotting. There's also implantation bleeding as the trophoblast (tissue surrounding the fertilised egg) burrows itself into the uterus lining. Bleeding also a sign of miscarriage, although some women who experience bleeding go on to give birth to a healthy baby.

In late pregnancy, bleeding might occur due to inflammed growths on the cervix, or the placenta lying over the cervix or as a sign of labour starting, where mucus and blood passes through the cervix, causing a 'bloody show'

So it's not actually mensturation, but there are reasons why someone would bleed and think it was their period during pregnancy.