Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

GUM Clinic treated me and boyfriend like rubbish

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oh well. :-( i will have to make sure my bf doesnt get it. i was thinking!!! i saw on the net that wearing tight clothes can cause thrush....i wear jeans a lot and have put on a little bit of weight. also i always wear thongs maybe thats something i need to sort out.
  • Options
    Good old cotton granny pants are the way forward until this is sorted. Good hygiene down there with running water and nothing else will also help.

Not that I'm implying you have poor hygiene, just that you might use some kind of evil body wash or something!
  • Options
    if you suspect you have thrush again, it is possible to get over the counter treatment from your local pharmacist without a prescription. Might be wise to invest in some, especially as antibiotics can sometimes cause thrush.
  • Options
    ohhhhhhh i dont know what to do for the best!!! i will let you all know the results .....10 days.......:-(
  • Options
    surely if you goto GUM/GPs whatever you're asking for their opinion on what could be anything from an abnormal smear to a diagnosis of STI's.

so maybe it's wrong to assume, but if the truth makes you feel bad, then don't ask their opinion. it's outrageous to think of complaining.
  • Options
    so maybe it's wrong to assume, but if the truth makes you feel bad, then don't ask their opinion. it's outrageous to think of complaining.

Yes, but they're diagnosing her with something they're not sure she has yet, and telling them that they HAVE cheated, whether they know about it or not! They're generalising, and until those test results are back to say if she does have it or not, they have no right to tell her she definetley has the STI. With no postive test, once they had been told that they were in a faithful relationship, they should have taken that as gospel, whether thats what they belived in their head or not.

I'd of got annoyed at the place if I was you, tbh, and I agree you are well within your rights to complain, and complain loudly.
  • Options
    surely if you goto GUM/GPs whatever you're asking for their opinion on what could be anything from an abnormal smear to a diagnosis of STI's.

You're not asking their opinion, well I'm not anyway. I want professional medical advice, a good diagnosis and treatment for a condition. I expect to be treated with respect, and I expect my relationship to be respected. They're job is not to judge, it's to treat.

While complaining about their suggested diagnosis would be unreasonable, complaining about their manner is not unreasonable in the slightest.
  • Options
    I'm not meaning to be funny either, but if it is chlamydia then you caught it from somewhere. And I'd expect medical professionals to be a little more clued up on what chlamydia swabs look like than yourself.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Not meaning so sound harsh but if you were that certain that it is just thrush, why didn't you just pop down to boots?
    i've never had thrush so if i did suddenly develop it then i would want to go to the doctors first to make sure thats what it was before i started any medication for it. and the OP did want to go to the doctors but the GUM clinic was quicker.

either way, being tested at a clinic is distressing enough. the doctor should have been more tactful rather than asking personal questions about if she had cheated on her boyfriend and that she was lying or her boyfriend was. thats out of order.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm not meaning to be funny either, but if it is chlamydia then you caught it from somewhere. And I'd expect medical professionals to be a little more clued up on what chlamydia swabs look like than yourself.

But she (or he) could have had it for a long time and the sypmtoms only show now. GUM clinics are not supposed to judge your relationship, it's fine for them to say that they think it's chlamydia but the staff there shouldn't be attacking someone's relationship ever and certainly not until they have definite proof.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Not meaning so sound harsh but if you were that certain that it is just thrush, why didn't you just pop down to boots?

i went to boots and the instructions on the cream says "see a gp to conform it first so i thought i would ask a gps advice first then i got sent to the GUM clinic! also i have had thrush before it said if you had thrush before in the last 6 months see a gp ! so its a never ending circle!
  • Options
    They did the same to my girlfriend and we are both 100% too! They basically told her I'd been fucking someone else! And I bloody haven't!

Also as someone said, it could of been in their system from a previous relationship, it can harber itself for years.

Turns out my girlfriend had thrush and a water infection.. fucking bastards!
  • Options
    yes thats the point im trying to make! i am in a loving realtionship we talk to each other about everything and we have been together so long! we dont even have any problems! i know i went there for there help i understand that. but we went there and told them everything.....how many times we have sex....all the personal stuff and when it came too......have you slept with anyone else we told them "no just together for 5 years " they say ......you lie! you have sti! how can they say this!!!! im sorry if some people think im going on and on or some people think the GUM clinic are FINE for treating me and my bf like this ....thats your comment. but i feel hurt .....still and its been 6 days now since we went there!

thanks to all who have shared there storys and who think my comments are right.
  • Options
    The staff in family planning clinics aren't always the best (I remember GWST being told she weighed fourteen stone and was four foot nine, er, maybe not...) but I don't think they've been that out of order. I doubt that many of their clients have been sleeping around without protection- that's if you believe the clients, anyway.
  • Options
    It's still not their place to judge. IIRC it's part of their job requirements that they don't.

Fair play they make you aware that it's a possibilty but they are not supposed to accuse you of lying.
  • Options
    I fully understand why they did it- I've seen it loads where some poor girl has gone in with the clap, and her smug cunt of a BF sits there and says he's never done anything, when he's been porking anything with a skirt on. I think most people who say they haven't done anything are liars, and I would definitely expect GUM staff to think that.

Yeah, they could have been more discreet about it, but if she has caught an STI she caught it from somewhere.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I was once told, 'its highly likely you have chlamydia, take these pills, and we will let you know your results'
    2 weeks later, i got my results, and i didnt have chlamydia at all.
    theyre just being careful, as it is a very very nasty disease, but I agree, the way they implied one of you had been unfaithful is not on.
    take your pills if they have given you some, and remember if you do have it, its possible one of you could have had it from a past relationship. chlamydia can show no symptoms.
    thats why it is so important kiddies to go get checked frequently!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I fully understand why they did it- I've seen it loads where some poor girl has gone in with the clap, and her smug cunt of a BF sits there and says he's never done anything, when he's been porking anything with a skirt on. I think most people who say they haven't done anything are liars, and I would definitely expect GUM staff to think that.

Yeah, they could have been more discreet about it, but if she has caught an STI she caught it from somewhere.

Which prat let you anywhere near the poor girls who have plucked up the courage to go and get themselves checked out?

It seems you're saying that most people cheat in their relationships?

And you seem to have missed the point, it's still an IF she's caught something at the moment.

You really do come across as an arrogant t### on this one.
  • Options
    I've sen it on here, and elsewhere. I'm no medical professional.

If she isn't with an STI then no, they shouldn't have said it. being more circumspect would have been better, at least until the results are in. I thought she actually had chlamydia, as there's an if perhaps they should have waited before wading in. And no, I don't think that most people cheat.

But lets be honest here, if an STI is introduced to a relationship then its come from somewhere. You don't get STIs from toilet seats or toothbrushes, do you? If its an STI then one of the partners is lying.
  • Options
    right, if your going to comment please read my first post it clearly says ..........no test results yet! please!!!

also i was told that i could of carried it for 5 years before any syptoms. so it could be that but the longger i wait for the results the more i think its thrush and just a bad case of it.

some people actually understand me on here! and it helps me and my bf to wait for the results knowing other people surporrt us ............IN ARE TOTALLY FAITHFUL REALTIONSHIP. to the other people ........i wouldnt like to wish this to happen to you .........but how would you feel being judged??
  • Options
    id feel awful, and if it turned out to be just a case of thrush, while theyd wrongfully insinuated one of us had been unfaithful, that could be devastating for a hell of a lot of relationships. They should keep judgements to themselves tbh. I was under the impression they had to, but obviously not.
    If it was me, I would make a complaint.
    Even if it turned out to be chlamydia, as has already been pointed out, its unfortunately one of those symptomless diseases that can OFTEN lie dormant for years and people dont know theyve got it till theyve done a test. Even if she had it, it wouldnt necessarily mean her boyfriend had been unfaithful, so they really should keep their idiotic judgemental mouths shut sometimes.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If she isn't with an STI then no, they shouldn't have said it. being more circumspect would have been better, at least until the results are in. I thought she actually had chlamydia, as there's an if perhaps they should have waited before wading in.

That is precisely the point that most people have been making, they shouldn't judge ever, but definitely shouldn't until they know for sure.

I really thought you would know better than to put up damming posts without reading properly! :banghead:
    Kermit wrote:
    But lets be honest here, if an STI is introduced to a relationship then its come from somewhere. You don't get STIs from toilet seats or toothbrushes, do you? If its an STI then one of the partners is lying.

Not necessarily true, many STIs are symptomless for a long time.
  • Options
    no results yet.does anyone know if its 10 working days or just 10 days to wait???
  • Options
    you should phone and ask them that. normally its just a week you have to wait but i guess it varies from place to place.
  • Options
    last time I went (recently, all clear) I was told ten days and given an 'appointment' time to phone in for my results with my name dob and a pre-aranged password. Give them a call.
  • Options
    Hiya,
    Try not to worry too much the clinic are probably just trying to ensure that you are completely checked out after all its better to be safe than sorry. I cannot understand why your doctor would tell you to wait 3 weeks to be tested for thrush when there is no test needed at all just a quick peek "down there" and he should have been able to diagnose thrush or not. Perhaps your doctor wanted you to be checked for std's because thrush gives similar symptoms to chlamydia.
    Read thesites article on chlamydia for more information on it.
    Chlamydia can be caught without having sex and can stay in your body for years unnoticed so it is better to find out and have a peace of mind. It is the easiest of std's to catch but also completely treatable.
    As far as the clinic is concerned they were wrong to be pressurising you both so badly all i can imagine is that they wanted to ensure you were getting the correct treatment. I hope this helps x x Rebekah x x :p
  • Options
    hi all! good news

results are back...... boyfriend is clear and im clear. they said i might of just had a serious case of thrush. i got an appointment next week to see its cleared up and another test.
  • Options
    i did ring up and they confirmed it.
    but there still not sure what is up just there was a high amount of yeast. but i def dont have an STI and my boyfriend is totally clear!
    i made an appointment with a normal doctor. i dont think i will go to a GUM clinic again.
  • Options
    anyone else got an experiance of clinics like this??? let me know.

Not like that, but i did go to my local clinic once to get some dental dams (female oral sex shield). It was advertised on the list of condoms and lubes etc. When i asked the woman gave me a funny look, disappeared for a while then came back and told me she'll have to ask a nurse. It's not what she said, but the way she said it, as though i was inconveniencing her. i waited at that desk for around 15 minutes and she only gave me 3 because they were in short supply. If you want condoms for straight sex you get them instantly in a bag of 12. I was not amused.