Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

655,000 people now killed as a result of the invasion of Iraq

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    His old friend George Galloway might.

"Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability."
    Who cares about him?

It was a totalitarian regime...
    That didn't justify waging a war against it did it?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That didn't justify waging a war against it did it?

You pointed out that Iraq under his rule did not experience terrorism, sectarian violence, bloody insurgencies, etc - all unsurprising for a totalitarian regime.
    Aladdin wrote:
    If someone murdered a member of your family I wonder if you would put up with the argument that "what's done is done, and cannot be undone- better look up to the future eh" the warmongers are so keen on putting forward...

There is a difference in intention between cold blooded murder and removing one of the most vicious men in the world from power.

Historians will judge Bush and Blair. In the mean time the focus has to be on making things better for the Iraqis by helping Iraq progress into the secure and stable democracy Iraqis deserve.
  • Options
    You pointed out that Iraq under his rule did not experience terrorism, sectarian violence, bloody insurgencies, etc - all unsurprising for a totalitarian regime.
    As far as pondering whether to wage a war or not is concerned, it is irrelevant whether Iraq was a totalitarian regime. The point is that we have made things infinitely worse than they were for the Iraqis. We had no right, moral, legal or otherwise, to invade a sovereign nation and impose regime change.

There is a difference in intention between cold blooded murder and removing one of the most vicious men in the world from power.

Historians will judge Bush and Blair. In the mean time the focus has to be on making things better for the Iraqis by helping Iraq progress into the secure and stable democracy Iraqis deserve.
    No. Historians should not be the ones judging Bush and Blair. It should be a court of law. And for as long as some people insist on ignoring the lies, the wrongness and the crimes brought by the actions of Bush and Blair the rest of us will continue to go on about it.

So much for freedom, democracy and justice. Do as I say, never mind what I do. I'm sure the Iraqis will appreciate the irony...
  • Options
    It still absolutely baffles me how people can go on trying to justify the war. They need to finally take theirs heads out of their arses, stop swallowing the politicians’ bull-shit, and squeegee their eyes clean.

It was based on a whole catalogue of lies, and then it went terribly wrong.

It frustrates me to even hear people trying to argue the subtleties of the execution, or the reasons why we needed to go in. The bigger picture tells you all you need to know.

Step back, take a look, oh yeah, piece of shit.