Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How journalism works

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My point is that the media assumed it was all real (in spite of previous cock-ups, including the one in the news today) and that it should lead.

the media assume that everyone arrested is being arrested for a reason unless its obvious they aren't. That seems a reasonable belief to me.
    This is put down as a "crackpot", again automatically.

It is by me. The man was reported by his wife as she feared for his mental health. He believed there was a civil war and his weaponary consisted of some airguns. He hardly strikes me as part of a deep seated conspiracy.
    Whereas Tony Blair walks the streets alone :p

They didn't have to add anymore bodyguards did they though. When this threat was discovered Tony Blair continued as normal.

Again, supports my point. The assumption therefore is that any story involving Muslims is true and leads, plus pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and centre pages spread (see also editorial) - whilst this one will disappear very quick.

Slight bitterness on my part clouding my point. The media will report based ons several things - is it new? is it unique? is it important? etc, etc. The sad fact is that yet another police officer getting gunned down in front of his family was so common that it was hardly news.

Actually neither is the arrest of lunatics with some home-made explosives and airguns (the only unique point to this story is his links with the BNP). people being arrested for a plot to decapitate a British soldier is fairly rare and as I say it wq credible enough that the suspected target was given police protection.
  • Options
    This is the thread from ages ago, rather than Aladdin just catching up with the news. I bumped because the trial is now being reported and because it seems to support the argument against a cover up.

PS you must have missed the IRA's campaign - last I looked they were pretty much white.
    Of course the IRA are white, ETA are Basque... I was speaking of the current War on Terrorism, which does primarily seem to be focussed on Muslims following the 9/11 attacks.

Think about it, the Terrosism Act 2006, the idea of ID cards, Guantanamo, the idea of ID cards (ect) would not be justifiable and would be opposed ten times more strongly if we did not have a scapegoat.

We are controlled by fear, it is a tool governments, the media, religion and multinationals use in order to pass laws or get money out of us. Fear of illness, fear of terrorism, fear of having your child abducted, fear of immigrants spitroasting "our" swans and taking "our" jobs, fear of not smelling nice or social exclusion from not posessing the right commodities, fear of a crappy afterlife. Without fear, we aren't controlled.
  • Options
    This is the thread from ages ago, rather than Aladdin just catching up with the news. I bumped because the trial is now being reported and because it seems to support the argument against a cover up.
    Better late than never I guess. That it is being reported now (by some) does not make the fact that it was largely ignored by almost everyone any less true.

It doesn't need to be a cover up or conspiracy in any case. It just needs to be institutionalised obsession with Asians/Muslims- which in my opinion is the case with much of the British media at present.

How prominent has the reporting of the S*n, Mail or Express been, incidentally? I don't have a 'what if' alternative future machine, but if I did and we could check what would have happened if these men had been Muslim/Asian, I suspect it would feature prominently in the front pages of the aformentioned tabloids.