Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

council tax exemption form

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have a council tax exemption form as im at uni. im just wondering, if me+my bf were to rent a property, would we both be excempt from paying council tax?? or would they give us a reduced rate or something?
thanx

Comments

• Options
    If your bf isn't a student then no he's not exempt. but he'd get 25% off.
  • Options
    hmmm, so it may be worth mentioning then? so, you're saying if its his name on the contract+the council know im living there too...he'll save 1/4 on council tax?
    how much is council tax anyway?
    also, by moving in with him+not living at home, when i informed the student loan company about my change in circumstances, would they increase or decrease my loan?
  • Options
    council tax depends where you live. I don't know what the student loans company would do, if you were living at home and moved out I doubt they'd decreased it, most likely keep it the same, possibly give you a bit extra. But as far as they're concerned you're still dependent on your parents.
  • Options
    cheers for your help. i guess il have to try find out about council tax rates.
  • Options
    If you are a student and your partner isn't then he should still get 25% off.