Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Legal Aid abolished in Magistrates Courts

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote:
    Exactly, you get the 'state defender' who may be a just out of law school idealistic person who is willing to fight hard for you all the way. Or it might be a crap lawyer who cant get a job elsewhere and doesnt give two fucks about you.
    or you get someone like my old man who used to work for the district attorneys office but decided that many of them were a bunch of snakes and became a state defender.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    But at least you have a lawyer

This doesn't mean you don't get a solicitor, just that you may have to pay for one.
    again, fuck I'm glad I live in the USA.

When it comes to the law in general I I'm fucking gald I don't live in the US. Look at you prisons, capital punishment etc...

Still this fact that we now have to pay for our solicitors isn't good news.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It says they are saving money... But won't more people be going to prison (guilty or innocent) which will cost more cash than lawyers ever did?

It wouldn't surprise me if this has come in to compliment the whole War on Terror... Below £11,000?

What if you're on £12,000 and living in London... You won't be living like a king will you.