Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Car Boot Sales

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay so a week today, me and one of my best friends are having a car boot sale!

We're both really skint and have had massive clear outs of our bedrooms so we've got lots to get rid of. Mainly clothes, cds, old games (toys from when we were little) and books.

I've done one before but when i was young, just helping out on my mums. What prices do you think people are willing to pay? I mean, i know its a boot sale so you're meant to get bargains. But I've got loads of clothes that are like, French Connection and stuff that I've hardly ever worn, do you reckon people will pay for quality or they just want cheapo stuff?

So my question is has anyone whos ever done a boot sale before got any tips? We've already decided to price everything because I think its annoying when you have to ask.

Ta in advance :]

Comments

• Options
    bring tea and an umbrella, and a tarpaulin to cover your warez if it rains.
  • Options
    I don't bother pricing stuff, just lay it out in areas like 20p, 50p, £1 and £2. Then when people are snooping around at one item you can give asweep of your hand and say "all that lots only 50p each but you can have five bits for two pound if you'd like?" I wouldn't pay more than a pound for a second hand top at a boot sale- even if it is something nice and hardly worn. Also, have a super cheap bucket/box on the floor, everything you would be perfectly happy chuckin in the bin yourself and call it all 5p- you'd be suprised what people think they want when it's only five pence...

ETA: ,y advise is to flog it, and flog it cheap. Once you've put it out for a boot sale you never really want that stuff back in your house and it's better to have sold it cheaply than to throw it away.
  • Options
    Yeah best off just telling people how much you want. I will say though that you will get tight bastards that will try and haggle over 50p!
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    Yeah best off just telling people how much you want. I will say though that you will get tight bastards that will try and haggle over 50p!

A few even try to get you from 10p down to 5p !!
  • Options
    If you've got decent clothes could you not sell them on ebay for more money then you'd get at a boot sale?
  • Options
    I'd go for eBay with the good clothes rather than a boot sale, you'll make more there.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I'd go for eBay with the good clothes rather than a boot sale, you'll make more there.

Yeah, somebody told me that but when I had a look for a similiar sort of thing on ebay, FCUK tshirts and stuff is only going for like £1.85 anyway so I might as well just sell it at the boot sale and get it done I guess. I can't really see me making much more on ebay. plus iv never sold anything on it before :]

The car boot is undercover so at least I won't need a brolly or anything :)
  • Options
    Don't spend all you money at the hot pork and stuffing roll wagon 3 rows away :D
  • Options
    I've never done a car boot sale, but when my mate's grandad does them he prices more expensive things slightly higher than he'd be satisfied with - say £12 for something worth £10. That way, people who 'haggle' you down to £10 leave thinking they've done some good haggling and got a bargain, whilst you're happy with the amount you were hoping to get. Only downside is some people might take a look and decide against it.

[/Top tip of the day] :p
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Don't spend all you money at the hot pork and stuffing roll wagon 3 rows away :D
    or spending it all on other people's crap!
  • Options
    indeed
  • Options
    And dude(ette?)- get there EARLY. Put your best stuff, any vases, silver, collectables in the car as the most easily accesable box, as well as trying, if humanly possible, to make your table easily accesable. As there's two of you, in the one car I presume, get the best stuff out first and up presented on your table ready to sell FIRST. If you're there early, your car might get swamped by scavengers so u want to get the best out first, leave one person to flog that lot, whilst the other person helps flog (or bat the scavs away with a big stick) and gets the other stuff out the car...

I've done a few boot sales in mi time... First time I got scav attacked I kinda (internally, coz I'm super cool of course) freaked. Take a few plastic bags, a bit of change and prepare yourself mentally before you go, you'll be fine.

When it starts to cool off and trade is slow, you wanna engage in conversation and banter with all your non-buyers. Keep 'em at your stall with a shared joke and a giggle even when you've established they ain't buying. This makes your stall look good, more people will come over, these people will buy...

Smile, be friendly.

At slow intervals, rearrange your stuff so the best of what's left is presented. Towards the end, when you're flagging and bored- get rid of the lot! You'll have your own technique but I get a passers eye and in a big voice ask 'em what they're looking for. Any answer is a starting point to engage 'em, and flog 'em something they never knew they wanted! lol
  • Options
    Don't overprice stuff.
    If possible hang clothes up as they sell better.
    Haggle.
    Don't expect too much for clothes as people are not generally there to spend alot on one item.
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    haha you're a cool one elisar, bloody car boot! lovin it.

fuck yes! me and jenna, car boot sale queens. hahaha! wanna come to our stall? i'll sell you some stuff cheap. FCUK tshirts for a pound? okay then.

:D xx
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Don't overprice stuff.
    If possible hang clothes up as they sell better.
    Haggle.
    Don't expect too much for clothes as people are not generally there to spend alot on one item.

Good idea with the hanging up thing :) im trying to find someone who has a rail thing but its not going very well!
  • Options
    I put sticky labels on the clothes to show the size. It's really annoying when someone is rifling through your old clothes asking you what size they are for the umpteenth time. Anything I don't sell I dump at the clothes recycling bank / skip on the way home.
  • Options
    I've done one before but when i was young, just helping out on my mums. What prices do you think people are willing to pay? I mean, i know its a boot sale so you're meant to get bargains. But I've got loads of clothes that are like, French Connection and stuff that I've hardly ever worn, do you reckon people will pay for quality or they just want cheapo stuff?

No one will pay high prices at a boot sale. Flog off old CD's at a few pounds each, but as for clothes... E-BAY!!! You will get so much more money off e-bay, especially for designer wear than you ever will at a boot sale.