Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Legal Thieves

No, not corporate barristers, but the bailiffs employed by the court to recover unpaid debts and fines.

The BBC have done an expose on this, which is aired tonight. It exposes many bailiffs illegally removing items, harrassing and threatening debtors, and creating phantom bills in order to extract more cash from innocent people. Their main weapon is fear, and they hide behind the fact most people don't know what bailiffs can and cannot do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5377488.stm

The simple solution for this, of course, is to summarily execute every single bailiff exposed by this programme. Sadly they have rights, not that you can call these creatures human, but hopefully they get their houses burned down, preferably with them inside it.

I haven't been so angry as to want to chuck the computer out of the window for a long time. Congratulations to the BBC for exposing these practices- now its time for criminal charges, and severe prison sentences. Bet they won't happen.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hardly surprising is it? Surely these monkies are employed because they are big and scary.
  • Options
    Just like wheel clampers then?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Hardly surprising is it? Surely these monkies are employed because they are big and scary.

According to the article they're not big and scary - they're confidence tricksters - relying on the fact that people don't know the law.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    NQA wrote:
    According to the article they're not big and scary - they're confidence tricksters - relying on the fact that people don't know the law.

I think this is why people should be educated on the law, and the Police actuall give a damn would nice too.

Bailiffs are nasty fuckers. I used to know someone who seems to have fled them instead of hang about.

Hope he's OK now.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Congratulations to the BBC

Never thought I would see you say that!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I think this is why people should be educated on the law, and the Police actuall give a damn would nice too.

The law is quite complicated, but there are organisations there to help, the CCCS being one of them.

Education is always the key, many many debt collection agencies ring people up at all hours of the day and night telling people that they will go to prison and lose their house. This is often for very small amounts of money. People believe them because they don't know what creditors actually can do, and the worst thing is that the scum who work for DCAs believe it too. I had a most energetic discussion with nPower about this, which resulted in them sending me a very grovelling letter because of the letters I'd been receiving about a debt. I should frame it really.

The police sometimes do care. I know of one man who was being harrassed by a DCA, who told him he would be taken to prison if he didn't pay up. So he rang the police asking when they were coming to get him. After the police had finished laughing they sent a very nasty letter to the DCA reminding them that they were breaking the law and that they'd be arrested if they did it again. Cue huge bouquet of flowers from the creditor, and a bollocking for the DCA.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No, not corporate barristers, but the bailiffs employed by the court to recover unpaid debts and fines.

The BBC have done an expose on this, which is aired tonight. It exposes many bailiffs illegally removing items, harrassing and threatening debtors, and creating phantom bills in order to extract more cash from innocent people. Their main weapon is fear, and they hide behind the fact most people don't know what bailiffs can and cannot do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5377488.stm

The simple solution for this, of course, is to summarily execute every single bailiff exposed by this programme. Sadly they have rights, not that you can call these creatures human, but hopefully they get their houses burned down, preferably with them inside it.

I haven't been so angry as to want to chuck the computer out of the window for a long time. Congratulations to the BBC for exposing these practices- now its time for criminal charges, and severe prison sentences. Bet they won't happen.

You pointed it out in the first sentence but the rest of your post seemed to negate the point.

Bailiffs ARE the court`s henchmen. They have a "licence" from the court and the only debts they collect (or should I say, are concerned to collect), are related to the corporation d/b/a "HM Government".

A speculative thought as to why the BBC made this programme may be because their licence fee is collected by a corporation known as "Capita". It is my understanding that unless the person in their sights ("non licence fee payer") confesses to their "crime" and are subsequently subject to an order of the court (and therefore bailiff action) there is nothing "legally" Capita can do about it except constant harassment (threatening letters/door visits).
  • Options
    bailiffs are scum
  • Options
    BBC wrote:
    "I've done this many times actually," he says as he climbs up to a first floor window where he comes face to face with the debtor's former wife.

That's a good way to end up with a broken neck.