Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dublin Hostels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Nix the China idea, my brother has found dirt cheap plane tickets to ireland. I love Dublin, was there last st. patricks day and want to go again and hopefully we will. However we spent the majority of the time in a discusting, dirty, vile hostel. Mattresses stained in blood and dirt and the blankets ripped to shreads and stuffing shoved everywhere. Walls with holes, and scarthes and not an ounce of heat. He had looked online and found it in some hostel finding place. It had good ratings but obviously those were fake. 12 people in a room no bigger than my bedroom. We shared it with 9 other british women who felt the same way. Rainbow Hostel.

Anyways. I would love to go again. We stayed in a best western not to far from the river and it was hardly any better, but better enough. So I am asking here for experiences of hostels in Dublin from people. The hotel was 90E a night and definatly not even worth half of that, the hostel was cheap (god I want to throw up just thinking about it) Shame my parents have already booked their timeshare for that year and we cannot use it, else that would be lovely. So does anybody know of any at least livible hostels in the area? Something at least where I don't have to douse in lysol and go to bed in full body coverage just for my health?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    This isn't really of much help at all, but I'll give you fair warning - stay away from the Avalon House hostel on Aungier Street as it also has blood(and the rest)-stained mattresses and every time I have stayed there (twice and never again) I have had to shared a dormitory with would-be rapists and old women who wake up at 5am and turn the light on to start doing their needlepoint. Argh.

There must be a decent, cheapish hostel in Dublin but I haven't found it yet. I'm not even picky about where I sleep, I just prefer it to be free of other people's bodily excretions :(
  • Options
    Why not just stay in a hotel? When I went, I stayed in the North Star Hotel... O'Connell Street maybe?!
  • Options
    Fuck I might have stayed in that Rainbow hostel when I was in Dublin 2 weeks ago. It was a shithole, we nearly got chucked out too for drinking in the rooms and just being drunken messes, woke everyone up when I got back too. Good times!

Just stay in a hotel, not that expensive if you're only staying for a few days like.
  • Options
    Planning for a week though and the crapbin we stayed at was 90E a night, that aint cheap at all.

How much was your hotel Baby?

And thanks for the warning briggs! Warnings are the best help.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    How much was your hotel Baby?

God knows, it was 3 years ago now! I know it cost me £200 through Expedia for return flights and accommodation for 5 nights... I think the flights were about £50-ish... so hotel (bed and breakfast) must have been about £150.

What's £150 in dollars, or even euros? God knows!
  • Options
    ive heard bad things about hostels in Dublin, my sister went to one and apparently it stunk of piss and there were all sorts of stains...hmmm ive not heard good things about any of the dublin hostels.

im supposed to be going for paddys day this year, and i'll be going for the hotel option, and im a hardened hostel stayer.
  • Options
    You can't really expect much for somewhere cheap in Dublin. You're gonna get all the scabs of the day in. Fork out the money for a hotel, it'll be worth it in the end. Doesn't have to be anything fancy like - just as long as you're getting a clean bed and a roof over your head.