Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Heritage

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    PussyKatty wrote:
    A lot of American people crack me up when they say they are Irish just because their great great great grandad was.

Well I think that's where the difference lies between us really, we don't seem to think of heritage in quite that way. Heritage, to us, seems to be something that is in the past rather than something which affects the present and how we actively identify ourselves.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Well I think that's where the difference lies between us really, we don't seem to think of heritage in quite that way. Heritage, to us, seems to be something that is in the past rather than something which affects the present and how we actively identify ourselves.

I do think heritage is important but I feel there is a point when it becomes irelavent when it is so many generations back.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Yep. Most British people will tell you where their Grandparents came from if you ask them. But it cracks me up the way a lot of Americans will say "I'm Italian." Really? You ever been to Italy? "No :impissed:" I suppose that's just because almost everyone there immigrated at one point, and it's just become part of the culture to name where your family came from originally. A lot of fairly recent immigrants in this country are the same I suppose, such as Pakistani communities, most of who's parents immigrated in the 60's I think.

Oh, and I have two English grandparents (but from Irish families), one Scottish and one Polish. I've never been to Poland, but I do enjoy the vodka.
  • Options
    I was born in Scotland and all my dads side have been scottish for centuries - as far back as my dads been able to trace anyway. My mum was born in England to a Maltese mother and Irish father. I think the Maltese were invaded by the turks a few centuries back too, so as far as my heritage goes - who the fuck knows? Its not particularly important to me. I quite like the fact im a mixture of nationalities though. My little babys gonna be part french too, so even more heritage to get confused over :lol:
  • Options
    My little babys gonna be part french too, so even more heritage to get confused over :lol:

Are you trying to tell us something?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I do think heritage is important but I feel there is a point when it becomes irelavent when it is so many generations back.

Yes, interesting, but not terribly pertinent.
  • Options
    My mum is Polish, but born in England (just), and her Dad's family name had a reference to Sweden, so who knows, they weren't big on genealogy in rural Poland, so he may have had Swedish relatives at some point. My dad is fairly English, but he had an Irish grandparent on each side. My Grandma (dad's mum) is dead into things like that, and has family birth and death certificates and the like dating back to the 1800s.

I'd say my heritage is fairly important to me. We have kept a lot of the Polish influences, and at the very least, it's pretty interesting.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Are you trying to tell us something?

Read the 'I went to hospital' thread...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Read the 'I went to hospital' thread...

Ah, well that thread wasn't there when I made that post!
  • Options
    Yep. Most British people will tell you where their Grandparents came from if you ask them. But it cracks me up the way a lot of Americans will say "I'm Italian." Really? You ever been to Italy? "No :impissed:"
    you're talking about nationality, when people in the US talk about heretige we're talking about ethnicity. When you look at it from the stand point of nationality, yeah it makes little sense because we're all Americans. But from the stand point of heretige we all come from different backgrounds.