Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dresses - advice!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You know you all had a special outfit for your 21st birthday... or is it just me?!

I want to wear something that's going to make everyone's heads turn - I never wear dresses EVER, so I think it might be a good idea. We're going on a cruise to Amsterdam and travelling back on my birthday night... so we all want to make a big effort.

I've seen a nice plain black tunic type dress with shortish sleeves that comes down to about mid-thigh... thought I could jazz that up with some tights and some bright coloured high shoes and matching bag, beads/jewellery, and the rest. But I always think of great outfits in my head... that will only look good on a size 8 - and I'm a size 14/16, with big boobs and a big arse. Haha. Gutted. Am I doing the same with this idea?! I don't want to be making myself look fat and stupid.

Anyway, yeah. I need people who are going to be brutally honest and tell me more about what dresses might suit me!

ETA - the dress http://www.asos.com/Jade-Jagger/Jagger-Low-V-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=111302&cid=2632

Comments

• Options
    i think its lovely

are u a toned 14/16?

its just i am a 12 but i have love handles, so altho i dont look fat, when i wear a dress, its harder to disguise them
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    i think its lovely

are u a toned 14/16?

its just i am a 12 but i have love handles, so altho i dont look fat, when i wear a dress, its harder to disguise them

Thanks!

I'm kind of averagely toned... but will be hammering it at the gym during the next month to look better. :D
  • Options
    I really like that dress, I love tunic dresses in general, and I think that if you went for an all-black look with a fairly opaque pair of tights it'd be extremely figure-flattering without being OTT. Then I know you'll be able to jazz it reet up with some funky colourful jewellery and shoes, that'd look ace - I'm very tempted to buy that dress myself and steal your idea :razz:

As for dresses looking crap if you're not a size 8, I happen to think they're actually the best type of clothing for covering a multitude of sins as they don't have waistbands pinching in and the worry of tops riding up etc etc, and they create a smoother line. Obviously it depends on the particular dress, but I think this one's a goer!

Oh, and yes I did have a very special 21st outfit - it was the bee's knees. Had been my mum's in the 60s, little crocheted minidress which I adore. Did look like a bit of a tarty bugger but then that was the big idea! :thumb: I think it's very important to be the most stylish and fabulous on your 21st, you don't want anyone else stealing your thunder!
  • Options
    xsazx wrote:
    i like this one in the black or red (though out of stock) but then im just turning 16 (size 6 or 8 max) so might not be your thing lol here

I think it's... err... not my type of thing! Thanks though! :thumb:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I really like that dress, I love tunic dresses in general, and I think that if you went for an all-black look with a fairly opaque pair of tights it'd be extremely figure-flattering without being OTT. Then I know you'll be able to jazz it reet up with some funky colourful jewellery and shoes, that'd look ace - I'm very tempted to buy that dress myself and steal your idea :razz:

As for dresses looking crap if you're not a size 8, I happen to think they're actually the best type of clothing for covering a multitude of sins as they don't have waistbands pinching in and the worry of tops riding up etc etc, and they create a smoother line. Obviously it depends on the particular dress, but I think this one's a goer! :thumbL

I've got some GORGEOUS super high black suede-effect shoes from George at ASDA (£8, I can't handle a bargain!) which I think would look ace with it... with opaque tights and black and silver accessories - like the chunky skull and crossbones necklace in River Island at the moment... but I think bright coloured jewellery would maybe set it off more?!

Anyway, I think you have a fantastic sense of style from what I've seen and read so if you think it's a good idea, I'm going to run away with it. ;) Cheers mate!

Also... where are your birthday pictures missy?!
  • Options
    Ooh, the shoes sound good and oh-so bargainous, I want!!

But yeah, if it was me I'd probably go for an all black outfit with a signature piece of jewellery as big, bold stuff doesn't really suit me. But then again if you wanted to get some random coloured beads and stuff and go for the eclectic, funky look then maybe you could go for bright eye makeup too or something to make the outfit pop... well, either way would work. If it were me, I'd get my hands on the dress first and try a few things out (aka try it on with everything in my wardrobe, jewellery box and shoe collection under the bed - thereby trashing the entire house but coming out of it with a great outfit - result!). I definitely think you should get it though, there are so many ways you'll be able to dress it up and accessorise it differently... and you can even wear it over jeans and all that malarkey, too. I love a multi-functioning purchase ;)

I will have to sort out my photos, I've only scanned half... went a bit old skool with a "real" camera you see. I don't think anyone trusted themselves with their digital camera on a boat, combined with too much booze. I suspect yours will be the same, ha ha.
  • Options
    We know you have good cleavage, so if you have good legs too, I say go for it. People will not be looking at any lumps or bumps ;)

My 21st outfit: stripy jumper and baggy jeans. Oh yeah, I'm classy :thumb:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    We know you have good cleavage, so if you have good legs too, I say go for it. People will not be looking at any lumps or bumps ;)

My 21st outfit: stripy jumper and baggy jeans. Oh yeah, I'm classy :thumb:

Haha! I bet you worked it though ;)

I'm so excited about getting dressed up now - so girly, so sad...
  • Options
    xsazx wrote:
    i like this one in the black or red (though out of stock) but then im just turning 16 (size 6 or 8 max) so might not be your thing lol here

That dress is really awful :lol:
    Sorry
  • Options
    That dress is lovely, you've picked a good un.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote:
    eugh lol

each to their own tho....