Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smacking

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seeker wrote:
    Pain and/or beatings ?
    u need to step back a little, i dont think ANYONE is condoning beating!

there is a HUGE difference between a smack and a beating!
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    none of us are saying we deliver or agree with beatings! As for pain, do you have some objection to it? Do you know how much a smack actually 'hurts'? Do you think it causes more 'pain' than the stiff Clarks shoes that well meaning parents require their children to break in rather than buying cheap loose floppy shoes?

I was asking Mok whether I understood him correctly. He implied that inflicting pain was partly responsible for politeness and respect.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    u need to step back a little, i dont think ANYONE is condoning beating!

there is a HUGE difference between a smack and a beating!

A HUGE difference in the pain inflicted ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:

Is pain the only difference you can see between a smack and a beating?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    a smack is a smack, over and done with

beatings last longer and have more smacks/hits/punches

so yes, a HUGE difference to the pain inflicted#

i`d also say a beating would harm a child mentally
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Which tactic do you use then ?

I'd appeal to their developed sense of adult reasoning.
  • Options
    Violence is violence is violence- the question is of degrees.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Pain and/or beatings ?

Not forgetting electrodes on my genitals seeker.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Is pain the only difference you can see between a smack and a beating?

What I was wondering, too!

A smack is delivered with the intent to stop a kid misbehaving; a beating is a sustained violent attack whether done when hot-blooded or in cold blood. There is a world of difference.

I wouldn't personally classify giving a child a smack on the bottom as "violence" against it, but it is all very circumstantial of course.
  • Options
    I'd appeal to their developed sense of adult reasoning.
    Children don't have a developed sense of adult reasoning, it's why they're children.

My sister has smacked her children, but extremely rarely, never so that it would actually hurt, and as a shock tactic for something that was particularly naughty. Most of the time the threat "shall I get daddy?" does the trick for when they won't listen, because daddy is an authority figure. Their dad has never hit them ever, that was always my sister's place, because daddy is too big.

As I child I was smacked, personally I don't think I would have responded to anything else, I was very naughty. My brother and sisters were better behaved, so I think it's not always the parent but the personality of the child, I was badly behaved, I wouldn't respond to a verbal telling off all the time, so I got a smack, or a clip round the ear. Sometimes sending to the room works, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't have anything against smacking, but I think there's a massive difference between smacking for shock and attention, and abusing your child.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Children don't have a developed sense of adult reasoning, it's why they're children.

My point exactly. Seeker asked how i would try to change my friends' behaviour. That's how i answered.

My sister has smacked her children, but extremely rarely, never so that it would actually hurt, and as a shock tactic for something that was particularly naughty. Most of the time the threat "shall I get daddy?" does the trick for when they won't listen, because daddy is an authority figure. Their dad has never hit them ever, that was always my sister's place, because daddy is too big.

As I child I was smacked, personally I don't think I would have responded to anything else, I was very naughty. My brother and sisters were better behaved, so I think it's not always the parent but the personality of the child, I was badly behaved, I wouldn't respond to a verbal telling off all the time, so I got a smack, or a clip round the ear. Sometimes sending to the room works, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't have anything against smacking, but I think there's a massive difference between smacking for shock and attention, and abusing your child.

I'm in complete agreement with you.
  • Options
    oh right, didn't realise that. Seeker is a bit random
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    All the highlights leads me to suspect that you think you know what is the "correct" behaviour for another. :chin:

Yes, I do. Correct behaviour is the behavious which is neither detrimental nor harmful to society or the individual. Bad behaviour is behavious which is damaging to society or the person doing it. Seriously seeker, that was a fucking dumb thing to say. You can argue about perceptions until you're blue in the face but things that people have highlighted so far; Skive sticking objects into sockets and MoK Junior pulling on the cat's tail and picking up various breakables around the house doesn't exactly sound like good behaviour that is going to be of benefit to the individual or society as a whole.

Seriously, I can't believe you just made me explain that.
  • Options
    I do not think it is right to smack children at all. I could understand a light slap or whatever if it was a situation of danger. i.e. if your kid was about to shove his wet fingers in a electric socket or something I could understand an emotional smack on the arse for their protection, but even then I don't think I could!

Why?

Because by smacking your child you are telling them -

1) It's OK to be violent

2) Smacking is what's done when you don't get your own way
  • Options
    1) It's OK to be violent

As a means of last resort
    2) Smacking is what's done when you don't get your own way

As a means of last resort.

In a lot of cases, that's true for life.
  • Options
    Right but it's not when you are dealing with children, it's not like an adult smacking an adult..

You know, it would piss me off that some little bastards whos parents smack them at home then come to school and start smacking my kid because they think that's OK, when it's not!

Violence because someone isn't "obeying" is not on, I mean look at like this, if my girlfriend does something that is against the rules I have made for the house, then am I OK to smack her as a last resort if she doesn't follow the rules?

No, it's morally and legally wrong. So why should children be allowed to be assaulted?

Also, if an outright ban is the only way to stop the fuckers who really don't use smacking fairly (I'm not talking about beatings, but you know what I mean) then so be it.
  • Options
    You know, it would piss me off that some little bastards whos parents smack them at home then come to school and start smacking my kid because they think that's OK, when it's not!

Does this happen? It's been mentioned before, the kids of this generation (who have mainly been grown up not being smacked) are more violent than the kids of yesteryear. I and my mates certainly never went around smacking kids in school and we were all smacked. I don't think you can make that comparison.
    Violence because someone isn't "obeying" is not on, I mean look at like this, if my girlfriend does something that is against the rules I have made for the house, then am I OK to smack her as a last resort if she doesn't follow the rules?

Kids don't know the difference between right and wrong at that age, adults do. When an adult makes a mistake they know they are wrong and they deal with that their own way, kids need to be disciplined to show them the difference, sometimes a slap on the bottom or wrist is necessary. Only as a means of last resort though.
    So why should children be allowed to be assaulted?

Assault is such a big word, punching and kicking someone is assault, slapping someone on the bum is not.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Does this happen? It's been mentioned before, the kids of this generation (who have mainly been grown up not being smacked) are more violent than the kids of yesteryear. I and my mates certainly never went around smacking kids in school and we were all smacked. I don't think you can make that comparison.

My point is that it is showing kids that violence is OK, when in reality it shouldn't be OK to inflict violence on anyone! That should at least be the aim.
    Kids don't know the difference between right and wrong at that age, adults do. When an adult makes a mistake they know they are wrong and they deal with that their own way, kids need to be disciplined to show them the difference, sometimes a slap on the bottom or wrist is necessary. Only as a means of last resort though.

Can you give me an example of a situation when a child should be smacked? You are saying that kids don't know the difference between right and wrong but on the same line, there is evidence to show that a lot of young children cannot even associate the smack with the act that has caused it.
    Assault is such a big word, punching and kicking someone is assault, slapping someone on the bum is not.

If you smacked an adult across the legs/arms/bum/face then they would and could do you for assault, what would happen if you did it to a police officer?
  • Options
    My point is that it is showing kids that violence is OK, when in reality it shouldn't be OK to inflict violence on anyone! That should at least be the aim.

Who says it's violent? You're saying violence and assault here like the child is going to suffer permament damage. Sending a kid to their room or not giving them their favourite toy is not psychological damage but I could easily assert that just like you're saying slapping someone is doing them damage in the long term which it's not.
    Can you give me an example of a situation when a child should be smacked? You are saying that kids don't know the difference between right and wrong but on the same line, there is evidence to show that a lot of young children cannot even associate the smack with the act that has caused it.

When the kids immediate safety is in trouble and all other forms of discipline have been carried out. I mean if a kid keeps trying to put their head into the oven and you've tried other means them a smack may be necessary. And as it's been said before, kids respon differently to different types of discipline.

ETA:Kids can associate the discipline, if a kid gets a slap from his mother then he knows what he did was wrong. Maybe not the first few times but he will in future. How's a kid gonna know what he did was wrong if a mother sends him to his room?
    If you smacked an adult across the legs/arms/bum/face then they would and could do you for assault, what would happen if you did it to a police officer?

And they'd get in trouble for wasting police time. As for police officers, they're in a position of authority. You're not supposed to even touch a police officer nevermind slap them. That's just common sense.
  • Options
    I was smacked one or the other time, but I have to say I was a total brat and I ruined stuff, smeared on the walls, and was generally a very explorative child that ruined or 'mis-used' a lot of things in the name of science, it was only one time tho, that I got a full blow to my face that I pirouetted.

When I dropped my little sister (<1 year) to the ground I tasted fist the first time. Not necessary imho, since it was an accident, I could've killed her tho, if she fell on her head.
  • Options
    I remember having done something wrong, being sorry, but was too terrified of the consequences so hid.

I think, the way I treat my dog may be similar to how I treat my kids. 80% of the time just a firm 'no' does the trick, if that doesn't, then I will tell her more firmly and move towards her etc. and if she's really naughty then a very mild smack on the bum gets her attention, and then I tell her she's being naughty. But to be fair, that's usually because she's well over excited and isn't really paying attention to anything, so it's more a way to get her attention. If she's done something wrong I will point my finger at her nose and say bad girl, but never smack her to punish her, because she's getting told off all the same.

Anyway, I have no reason to believe I'll be any different with kids...
  • Options
    Oh, yea... to add my point of view:

I try to refrain from smacking children AS MUCH AS possible. overpowering a child with force is cowardly, but I think I could imagine certain moments/disbehaviours that that I'd give out a smack.

It's not the pain that does the trick, it's the shock, the "OMG... this was a very stupid thing of me to do." And not to traumatize your child/ren.
  • Options
    a quick slap on the bum is hardly assulting your child. I've had the occasional smack. It taught me not to do it again, whatever it was.
    I think on the odd occasion you need to give them a short sharp shock. But if you smack them all the time then it doesn't do anything and they usually end up hitting their parents/other children when they can't have their way. Plus it makes them more frustrated so they carry on misbehaving and you just go round in circles.
  • Options
    I don't think we're never going to agree on this. I think most of us can be divided into two groups: those who think a very occasional, mild and painless smack as a last resort might be necessary and welcome, and those who think any such action is unnaceptable.

I can see the merits of both sides though I side towards the former. I think we can all agree we have moved on from the times when 'a good belting' was common place. Judging by my grandparents' accounts, things were a lot rougher for kids a few generations ago.
  • Options
    So who decides what warrants a smack?

What type of behaviour should constitute it?

This is where another part of the problem lies.

You are saying as a last resort, but a last resort for what?

Kids getting smacked for swearing for example? I know people who do that a lot - If my kid swore there would be no way he would get smacked for it, I would be fucking pissed off but resorting to violence? No way.

Did anyone see the program on TV this week about parents who were smacking their kids?
  • Options
    So who decides what warrants a smack?

Already been explained. Read the thread.
    What type of behaviour should constitute it?
    Again, read the thread.
    You are saying as a last resort, but a last resort for what?
    Sounding like a borken record now, read the thread please.
    Kids getting smacked for swearing for example? I know people who do that a lot - If my kid swore there would be no way he would get smacked for it, I would be fucking pissed off but resorting to violence? No way.

What are you on about? I already laid out the terms for when a child needs a smack, swearing does not put a child's life in danger so what are you on about?
    Did anyone see the program on TV this week about parents who were smacking their kids
    No didn't see it but I feel it is irrelevant to the discussion in hand.
  • Options
    To be honest Yerascrote my comments were aimed at the others in the thread generally, so I don't know why you are saying "What are you on about" - I am addressing it to everyone, hence why I didn't quote you.

And I didn't say it was relevant but I can still talk about it thanks.
  • Options
    To be honest Yerascrote my comments were aimed at the others in the thread generally, so I don't know why you are saying "What are you on about" - I am addressing it to everyone, hence why I didn't quote you.

And I didn't say it was relevant but I can still talk about it thanks.

It's alright mate! :D
  • Options
    I have smacked my son, but every time I have done it, it's been out of sheer panic and something I have felt bad about for ages after. Like when he almost ran into the path of an oncoming car etc...situations like that. We have both ended up in tears after.

I don't smack him for a punishment for bad behaviour. In his eyes the pain of a smack on the bum lasts a few minutes but the pain of me taking his PS2 controller away hurts all week :)
  • Options

Surely the best thing to do would be tell the child that you don't wish to hear that language and tell them why it's wrong?