Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
\
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm about half way through......it's ok, I guess. Not the kind of thing I'd read normally.
  • Options
    Ugh. I'm afraid I'm just not liking it enough, it's not pulling me in and wanting me to read it. I normally can't stop reading a book once I'm a few chapters in but this just isn't making me interested :(
  • Options
    i've read the book twice, i thought it was an excellent book, it really drew me in and i quite enjoyed it, its got good re-readability and i felt it really gave me an insight to the life of a person with aspergers.
    it also helped me when talking to a girl i used to talk to who was autistic and she communicated over msn, really really good book and i'd reccomend it to anyone.
  • Options
    I've read this book. My son has an autistic spectrum disorder which is very very similar to aspergers. The only reason it isn't classed aspergers is because his obsessions are age appropriate and nothing that unusual. This month we are currently obsessing over the Simpsons and Lego Star Wars...nothing unusual for a 7 year old but his whole life revolves around it!!

I loved the book but thats probably because I can relate to it.
  • Options
    I've read this book before. I din't really like it due to its rather cold, factual nature and disjointed style; I know that's supposed to be communicating the condition, and that's the point, but I was neither engaged nor comfortable.
  • Options
    I really liked the book. I was really surprised when I found out it wasnt written by an autistic guy at all.
  • Options
    I havent' been able to bring myself to read it again yet - but i may force myself to next week.

We need to start voting for Octobers book soon!!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I havent' been able to bring myself to read it again yet - but i may force myself to next week.

We need to start voting for Octobers book soon!!

May I recommend Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser?

Or, perhaps better suited to this site, A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby?
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    May I recommend Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser?

No, if we're going to go for a Flashy then it should be 'Flashmans Lady' which is better.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    No, if we're going to go for a Flashy then it should be 'Flashmans Lady' which is better.

I'm only up to book 5. Elspeth sounds lush!
  • Options
    i read this book last year and i didn't really like it -its just not my thing. i think i found the character a bit frustrating.
  • Options
    Well it's been a good while since I read this, but I'll give my opinion from what I remember. I'm always afraid I'm going to be pelted with rocks as it is seemingly universally raved about -- but I flat-out hated it. I think it is one of the worst books I've ever read, and I slogged through The Lovely Bones ;)

I really didn't rate the writing style at all. I thought it fell somewhere between a failed attempt at Hemingway-lite and author's workshop draft. While the stilted way of narration was supposed to be representative of an child with Asperger's and the common speech patterns but it actually made it very hard for me to empathise with the protagonist as I didn't actually feel that it was actually very representative. I pretty much felt it was a paint-by-numbers "personwithautism" rather than an actual character, and that in itself was as much of a cliché as the REAL sticking point for me - his "mathematical genius". It is probably worth mentioning at this point that the utterly tiresome myth that autistic people all have savant powers as some kind of compensation for their autism is very troubling to me and something I feel should be thoroughly stamped out rather than perpetuated in the mainstream as it was in this book. Yes, I have autistic family. It's hard to say whether I might've enjoyed the book more if that hadn't been a factor, it's a definite maybe.

I also thought there was no real resolution, as if the author got as bored of his story as I did.

Oh, but for people who did like this, I would recommend Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close as I think you'd like it :thumb:
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I'm only up to book 5. Elspeth sounds lush!

I suppose so, but she's a bit dim.

Flashman and the Angel of the Lord is good too, hell they are all good, its just Flashman is the first and its not quite as smooth as the others.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I'm always afraid I'm going to be pelted with rocks as it is seemingly universally raved about -- but I flat-out hated it.

Don't worry about hating it, it would be boring if we all said that we liked it :)

I read it a while ago, so I will also see what I can remember. I did like it, although I can't really remember why :chin: I think I may have read it in the middle of a few heavier books and this was a very simple concept and very easy to read. I had little knowledge of Aspergers, so I found it very interesting, although like Briggi said, I wonder now if it is just portraying a stereotype of someone with Aspergers and not going deep enough into it.

On a side note about the book club in general, I've read a few books recently which have a book club guide in the back with specific questions/topics/themes that they think people might like to discuss. I just wonder if that might be more useful in case we get stuck into a rut of people just saying whether they liked the book as a whole or not, but not going too deeply into the themes etc?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kate1 wrote:
    On a side note about the book club in general, I've read a few books recently which have a book club guide in the back with specific questions/topics/themes that they think people might like to discuss. I just wonder if that might be more useful in case we get stuck into a rut of people just saying whether they liked the book as a whole or not, but not going too deeply into the themes etc?

Good point :yes:

Here's some initial questions to think about for this book if anyone fancies having a go...

1. What was your first impression upon reading the first few pages of this novel?

2. In what ways did your first impression about the book change, as you continued to read the story? Why did it change? If your first impressions did not change, why is this the case?

3. What made reading this book an unusual, engaging, and sometimes challenging experience?

4.Generally speaking, what did you appreciate the most about this story? The least? And why?

Ok these are still pretty general, so we can add some more specific literary ones in if people would like. I also thought it might be interesting for people to quote (short) parts of the book - I'm thinking 2-3 sentences - that they really liked or disliked and say why. :thumb:
  • Options
    1. What was your first impression upon reading the first few pages of this novel?

I felt sorry for the dog.

2. In what ways did your first impression about the book change, as you continued to read the story? Why did it change? If your first impressions did not change, why is this the case?

I still felt sorry for the dog but i also felt a bit sorry for the boy as well - but not as much as he wasnt' dead.

3. What made reading this book an unusual, engaging, and sometimes challenging experience?

I found it very interesting that he was able to hide for so long on the train - personally I would have found this very hard.

4.Generally speaking, what did you appreciate the most about this story? The least? And why?

That it shows that not all parents can be hero's and its OK to say that you cant' cope if things get to tough.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I was really struck by the way Christopher seems to be incapable of experiencing emotions such as love, even though rationally he understands what love is and knows what it means to love someone, and yet he doesn't seem to feel it himself; he can conceptualise what love is, but not experience it, which I found interesting and would like to know whether that is the case for people with autism.

It was certainly the case for a young woman who did a presentation about her autism at my Dad's work.

I think there are some really striking and quite breath taking insights in the book. Soon after I first read it, I went to an occasion where I spent time chatting to a guy who worked at a school with autistic children - some of the stories he told me about one of his students sounded as if they could have been Christopher. However, I do also agree that several scenes in the book are really hard to believe, but not in terms of the autism, more in terms of plausibility in the world we live in.
  • Options
    I really liked the book. I was really surprised when I found out it wasnt written by an autistic guy at all.
    My dad worked with him, said as he understands it Mark Haddon is autistic.

I just popped in between meetings, I'll comment properly later!
  • Options
    Christopher is nothing like autistic children I've spent time with, including my cousin, but with autism being a spectrum disorder it's difficult for a stereotype to be genuinely representative.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    Christopher is nothing like autistic children I've spent time with, including my cousin, but with autism being a spectrum disorder it's difficult for a stereotype to be genuinely representative.

Indeed - and remember it's specifically aspergers that Christopher has.

ETA: but even then it's not as if he's meant to represent people with aspergers in general too heavily. This quote was in a Guardian interview with Haddon back in 2003:
    Haddon is anxious to be clear that Christopher should not carry 'an unfair representational weight' in the novel. For this reason he does not use the words Asperger's syndrome or High Functioning Autism. But he recognises that it is through Christopher's limitations as a narrator that the book finds its freedoms.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    My dad worked with him, said as he understands it Mark Haddon is autistic.

The internet tells me that he's not, just that he'd worked with autistic children in the past.
  • Options
    It was a decent short story stretched into a mediocre book.

It's a great idea to write from the perspective of an autistic person but once you've gotten over the the fairly unique narrative you've got a pretty dull plot. I understand that it's supposed to be Christopher's response to the situations that form the storyline but I just lost interest.

The book basically ran out of steam. You have this massive build up and then you race through the major plot points. Maybe this was intentional, to show the disconnection and the focus but it just made the last 100 pages seem incredibly rushed.

If I'm honest, I would never have read the book if not for this club, it's not my cup of tea, so I may be undeservingly harsh. I was glad when I finished it, which probably says more about me than the book.

I have no experience with autistic people, so I can't say if it's an accurate portrayal or not but the sense of frustration and heartbreak from the parents, I could certainly feel that. BY design it was going to be an uncomfortable book and I don't think my tastes are built for that. I can handle books that are filled with uncomfortable moments but I just felt weary after I'd finished the Curious Incident.

My problems with the book were the exact same reasons that it's unique. Which is a same. I don't think I left it with any more insight into the condition itself, more how tough it could be on the parents. I'd like to say how big the rewards can be as well but I really don't think that came across in the book at all.

That's my brain fart on it anyway. Savage me at will :o
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    It was a decent short story stretched into a mediocre book.

I agree tbh.
    Infinite wrote:
    It's a great idea to write from the perspective of an autistic person but once you've gotten over the the fairly unique narrative you've got a pretty dull plot. I understand that it's supposed to be Christopher's response to the situations that form the storyline but I just lost interest.

again reading it a second time I can really identify with that - I've started reading "We Need To Talk About Kevin" which actually I was struggling with a bit - but it's suddenly become massively more appealing now that I've re-read Curious Incident.

Infinite wrote:
    I have no experience with autistic people, so I can't say if it's an accurate portrayal or not but the sense of frustration and heartbreak from the parents, I could certainly feel that. BY design it was going to be an uncomfortable book and I don't think my tastes are built for that. I can handle books that are filled with uncomfortable moments but I just felt weary after I'd finished the Curious Incident..

Very interesting valid response IMO.

Infinite wrote:
    That's my brain fart on it anyway. Savage me at will :o

So not really a savaging from me at all :p
  • Options
    Oh and sorry to double post - but what do people think of Kevin being lied to for all those years about his mum? To me that just wasn't plausible at all - as it strikes me as a really horrific thing to lie about and the Dad just didn't seem capable of that kind of lie. Any opinions?
  • Options
    budda wrote:

Just finished reading Mr American, which isn't a Flashman, though it does feature him, but well worth reading if you want a novel covering such things as can a man escape his past, wome's rights, class in the UK and WW1. Even if you don't do it for a reading club, like all GMF, its worth reading.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Just finished reading Mr American, which isn't a Flashman, though it does feature him, but well worth reading if you want a novel covering such things as can a man escape his past, wome's rights, class in the UK and WW1. Even if you don't do it for a reading club, like all GMF, its worth reading.

Its a massive tome of a book, but I also thoroughlly enjoyed it.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Oh and sorry to double post - but what do people think of Kevin being lied to for all those years about his mum? To me that just wasn't plausible at all - as it strikes me as a really horrific thing to lie about and the Dad just didn't seem capable of that kind of lie. Any opinions?
    Plenty of people are capable of all sorts of things you wouldnt think.
  • Options
    Good point. I guess it was just harder to understand because we were seeing things from Christopher's point of view, so have limited access to the father's feelings. There was a certain amount of reading between the lines - Alan Bennet stylee - but I wonder how a dual narrative might have worked.
  • Options
    I think the point which was at the heart of the book to me was the impact of christophers autisum on his parents - showing the way they each in turn coped or didn't cope with the fact that he was different from other people.