Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Research shows link between acne treatment and depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Worth a read

The first scientific evidence of a link between a drug for severe acne and depression was unveiled yesterday, following years of denials by the manufacturer that the prescription medicine could be in any way responsible for suicides.

Roaccutane has been linked to more than 100 suicides and attempted suicides worldwide. In April last year, an inquest heard that Jason Spiller, 16, killed himself after starting the drug. The coroner said, as have other coroners, that there was no clear evidence of a relationship between Roaccutane and depression. The previous year, David Roberts, a 20-year-old, killed himself while on the drug. Seumas Todd, 20, son of the actor Richard Todd, killed himself in 1997 while taking Roaccutane.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,1875493,00.html

Comments

• Options
    I have been warning people about depression & accutane for years. Its a real shame that people take the drug because there depressed about there acne, only to be more depressed whilst using the drug.

And its quiet liver taxing.
  • Options
    It does say in its patient information leaflet that it shouldnt be taken by anyone who does/has suffered from depression or other mental health problems.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    It does say in its patient information leaflet that it shouldnt be taken by anyone who does/has suffered from depression or other mental health problems.

I've never used the drug ... but those leaflets that come with drugs never give you the full story, I remember once being given eye drops that stated there's a chance they could make you blind, needless to say I didn't use them... because if they put that the full story could be even worse.
  • Options
    ive not used it either.