Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

manual vs electric

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
toothbrushes!

who uses what? i use an electric one twice a day but someone recently told me that u shouldn't use them more than a couple of times a week as they damage your gums. Has anyone else heard this? what do people prefer?

Comments

• Options
    My dentist told me leccy toothbrushes are actually better for your gums. He recommended I use one as I'd been having trouble with my gums bleeding all the time, and now I do they are a lot better.
  • Options
    I use both, depending on how lazy and how much time I have. My electric on has the little buzzer for 30 seconds for 4 times. So I usually only do it on the weekends and on non sleepy nights. I always feel so much cleaner and fresher after the electric one.
  • Options
    I use an electric, only it isn't charged at the moment- so it's actually manual lol.
  • Options
    Me too!

There's an older thread with loads of chat on this. Ask your dentist next time you see them and read the guidance on the packet for your version.
  • Options
    TBH I thought I could brush my teeth better with a manual.
  • Options
    I use a bit of both. I have my electric "Oral B Vitality" at home with yellow teeth polishing thing in the middle and I do like it. I've used it just now and my teeth feel really smooth.

At the boyfriends though I have a bog standard Tesco Value toothbrush that I picked up so I could stop using his! It does a good enough job, and my teeth feel clean enough.

I prefer them both for different reasons, with the electric, my teeth feel smooth but if I run my toungue around I'm always convinced I've missed a spot, because it isnt as easy to control where the actual brush is. With my manual, my teeth feel clean, but never as smooth and healthy as they do at home.

I suppose it depends on the toothpaste too though.I use two different types of that as well.
  • Options
    I use an electric one twice a day. My mother is a dental Hygenist so she should know and she also uses an electric brush twice a day.
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    My dentist advised regular use too and it has cut down gums bleeding.
  • Options
    I made a thread about this a little while - look me up babeh :D

I NOW use an electic one - at first my gums hurt a little but now they're great and my teeth are whiter and feel so much cleaner - I recommend electric :thumb:
  • Options
    I made a thread about this a little while - look me up babeh :D

I NOW use an electic one - at first my gums hurt a little but now they're great and my teeth are whiter and feel so much cleaner - I recommend electric :thumb:
    Well, babeh, :p I did indeed look you up (Malt looks on in horror at the suggestion) and here's that thread. ;)

Personally, I use a manual brush, always have done.
  • Options
    Manual.
  • Options
    Electric. Damn expensive brushes on it as well, but your teeth do feel cleaner afterwards.
  • Options
    Electric. Damn expensive brushes on it as well, but your teeth do feel cleaner afterwards.

Eh but they last so much longer than normal brushes. Granted the actual toothbrush is quite an investment but the brushes I find, 4 for 20, and for how long they last I think its a better deal than buying a new toothbrush for 3 every couple months.
  • Options
    Manual.