Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Back ache at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just started part-time work in a clothes shop and am finding myself with backache when i have spent long periods of time stood up straight(ie not so bad when busy bending etc). I am wearing completely flat shoes, would a slight lift in the soles help? I have reaonable posture as i always try to 'walk slim' with tummy in shoulders back etc so i dont really know why i suffer so badly with my back, i feel like noone else gets it as they all look quite comfortable.

I had backache during pregnancy and i had an epidural in my labour which my mum belives causes back problems.

Also long before i had my son i had saturday jobs and again i got backache after a few hours serving over a meat counter.

Any ideas of how i can combat the problem? Is it just because my body isnt used to being upright for so long and will get better with time?

My mum suffers from arthritis and is registered walking-disabled and i am dreading that this may be in my genes. And I am more than happy to accept the fact that everyone may get this and I am just a big wuss :D

Comments

• Options
    when you try to have good posture, its also important to stick your bum out as well as carry your shoulders correctly. I dont mean stick it out so that you can feel the stretch in your spine, but stick it out a bit, my physio told me that and it helps :)
  • Options
    I have terrible back pain due to my epidural, well in fact my epidural didnt work on my right side and the pain I have now is the same pain I had in my right side during labour.
  • Options
    I find that reflexology soles help me. Even better when they have magnets in them.
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Hi

There's a site called Open Ergonomics on taking care of your back, which I've found helpful, including links to other organisations (including on arthritis, if that's a concern).

Your employer is obligated to provide a safe enironment for you to work in. You might want to quickly browse through the Health & Safety Executive page for workers. There may be someone at your shop who can give you advice on standing, lifting objects, etc. and who can make sure you get breaks.