Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

pre-employment health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having accepted a new job recently, I got a letter on the weekend saying that they are referring me for a "pre-employment occupational health assessment". anyone had one of these? what happens at it? and what is it for?

Comments

• Options
    I had one before I started my job and we have to have them every two years. Basically, it's to check what state you're in now, if they're going to have to be aware of anything (any medical conditions that could cause you to suddenly fall to the floor, etc - they need to know what it is and how to treat you) and so that they've got a benchmark - they might do a medical on leaving too, so they can see how/if working for them has affected your health (think asbestos claims and all that gubbins in years to come!).

Mine consisted of eye test (very basic one, not like the opticians), hearing test (sit in a phone booth and they play little pip noises at you and you press a button everytime you hear one), height, weight, lung function test (blow really hard and fast into a toilet roll tube like thing attached to a machine) and kidney function (pee in a cup and stick a dip-stick in it). I think that was about it.

Remember to take along any medication you take and any glasses/contacts you need. Also, if you haven't already got a form to fill in and take with you, you will probably be asked about any allergies and your family's medical history, so speak to your parents to see if they know of anything Great Aunt Fanny had, etc etc.
  • Options
    thanks, that was helpful :)
    so its just a general thing then? I was becoming a tiny bit paranoid and thinking they must think there's something wrong with me that might mean i cant do the job or something :confused:
  • Options
    its to ensure you are in good physical and mental health and capable of doing your job without any problems.
  • Options
    intrepide wrote:
    thanks, that was helpful :)
    so its just a general thing then? I was becoming a tiny bit paranoid and thinking they must think there's something wrong with me that might mean i cant do the job or something :confused:

Yeah, everyone gets one where I work - it's a manufacturing company and the factory workers' and officer workers' medicals are all the same, initially. Obviously, once you've worked in an office for a while they might pay more attention to testing your eyesight, however if you've worked in the factory for a while they might test your hearing/lung function more closely (does that make sense?!).

What kind of job is it?
  • Options
    i'm a family support worker and I have never had one ever before which was why i was unsure about it all. i guess maybe they wanna know i wouldnt be too susceptible to illnesses that the families might have or to the stress of the job. i dunno, will let you know after the appointment on Monday :)