Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Visit Iraq for sea, sun, sand and... erm...

I must admit that silly season this year is providing some real goodies. Only last week, we had the story about cows in Somerset having a West Country accent. And now this, courtesy of the Mail on Sunday.

iraqholiday270806_600x222.jpg

Apparently, the Government had ambitious (I would say barmy) plans to turn Iraq into some sort of holiday destination. A bored Mail journalist managed to drag this out of the government using the Freedom of Information Act. We are told that "The Government dossier suggests drumming up foreign visitors by placing battlefield debris at strategic points around the country and transforming northern areas into upmarket ski resorts. The £80,000 report was commissioned in 2004 to examine ways Iraq could be opened up to tourists after the fall of Saddam Hussein." (click here for more)

Oh god, I wish I was making this up... I don't particularly care about the fact that this is a strange use of public money, or indeed a very odd thing for the Government to be doing at all. Don't you just want Tony Blair to go on holiday there? ;)

Anyway, where would you recommend our leaders go on holiday to?
(I told you it was a silly season thread...)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Not really a stupid idea.

I'm sure the input and money from Tourism would be valuable when peace finally arrives in Iraq.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not that ridiculous, the tourism pound/dollar is a mighty one.

And look at the number of people who visit centuries old battle sights, they'd lap it up.
  • Options
    Civilisation began in and around modern day Iraq, lots of potential in terms of tourism. I guess they never forsaw the shit that's happened after sadam got toppled, aint no stroll in the park now eh?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Civilisation began in and around modern day Iraq, lots of potential in terms of tourism. I guess they never forsaw the shit that's happened after sadam got toppled, aint no stroll in the park now eh?

Yup.

Lots of potential. Hell, I'd go to look at the tanks myself, haha. Half of them have been there since the Iran/Iraq war.
  • Options
    You could make a mint working as a bounty hunter there, just like in Afghanistan now...rounding up anyone who might be an al-quida boy, the yanks pay through the nose for them even if they are just peasant farmers.
  • Options
    Private security firms, most of them little more than paid assassins with free licence to do as they please, already make a mint in Iraq thanks to their dubious links with the US government.

The few miles long trip from airport to the Green Zone in Baghdad, for instance, can cost up to $2,000- that's several times more than the air fare to get there in the first place.

Never a bigger collection of vultures, speculators, thieves and murderers have assembled in one place. I'd rather take a holiday in Iran wearing a Salman Rushdie t-shirt.