Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

peaceful hippies at local rave attacked by........

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
........bored police with nothing better to do on a saturday than dress up in riot gear and go hippie bashing! Boy what a weekend, I got the train up to essex yesterday morning for a mate's birthday party, we stopped by at a 3 day outdoor rave event on the way to try and score some drugs, walked a few miles to get there so we hung around for a bit, met some people we knew and were just catching up, it was a really nice festival atmosphere, maybe 4 or 5 rigs pumping out a bit of techno, weather was good and 500 or so crusties were making the most of it.......

anyways then we had a call from a mate in my local town (saffron walden), he told us a bunch of police were loading up at the station in vans with riot gear and getting ready to move somewhere, we'd noticed a big police presence in the area on the way and there were helicopters hovering over real low the whole time, we thought it was unlikely anything would happen as the whole thing was so peaceful, but we figured it wasn't worth hanging around so we got our drugs and left......as we walked out they were curtaining (sp?) off the whole area and not letting anyone else in, so we warned our mates who were still at the festival what was going on and went on our way.......we went past the local rozzers when we got into town and sure enough there was 11 meatwagons and a few dozen police in riot gear outside the station, it was so surreal to see all this is out in the middle of the country, the most uneventful small town dullville and they're pulling out the riot gear :confused: we got a phonecall a couple hours later from someone still at the rave saying the police had rushed over the hill in riot gear to try and shut the rigs down!......a bunch of normal people, just having a good time out in a field in the middle of nowhere, mostly kids and families but the police didn't even approach rationally they just rushed out in riot gear i mean what the fuck.......

so obviously there was a bit of resistance, the rigs were turned off and then back on again, so what was the police response? 4 more waves of police in full riot gear, now there was a few hardcore hippie ravers but the crowd was mostly adolescent youth and families there with young kids and babies, but that didn't stop them, fucking tossers, and then they started teargassing people!......i don't pay my taxes to get teargassed when I'm out having a good time, ffs what is this country turning to? the actual rave was a few miles away from any residential area so there wasn't any real disturbance, it was in its second day and growing a bit and what tipped the police off was a copule of disgruntled neighbours moaning that some people had parked all down the access roads and some in the resident spaces :eek: none of this makes any sense it's like they were all just bored and fancied some weekend overtime.......

just ranting really because i still can't believe what has happened, there's gonna be an uproar because this is such a small town and this was such an over the top reaction, i was there for a few hours and the vibe was so mellow and laidback, not your typical techno rave i suppose but it was more of a mini-festival......parents are gonna find out their children who went out camping for the weekend got attacked by police with teargas and they'll want to know what happened, apparently there's a new superintendent who's been 'cracking down on crime', i guess because there's not much crime in the first place he's resorted to cracking down on fun, i hope his head rolls for this.......and the riot police who followed the orders are just as bad, motherf**kers the lot of them. this whole country is quickly turning into the US, home of democracy and land of the free, where even some hippie civilians out in a field on a bank holiday aren't safe, what a fucking disgrace.

ETA: i've just seen it on the bbc news, i love the spin they put on it......story.

Comments

• Options
    You went to an illegal rave and damaged the land of another person, and the police broke it up.

*shrug*
  • Options
    Fucking cunts wasting time and money breaking up something that would be over soon anyway. I dont get whats the big deal if its out in the country somewhere or not disturbing people.
  • Options
    I suspect you'd think it were more of a big deal if it were your field they'd parked on without asking you.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I suspect you'd think it were more of a big deal if it were your field they'd parked on without asking you.
    Well exactly.

Poor innocent hippies trashing other people's property, and then whining like little kiddies when they get turfed off the land.

Diddums.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Peaceful Hippies injure nine police.

How peaceful.
  • Options
    just ranting really because i still can't believe what has happened, there's gonna be an uproar because this is such a small town and this was such an over the top reaction, i was there for a few hours and the vibe was so mellow and laidback, not your typical techno rave

Who gives a toss what the atmosphere was like? They didn't have permission to be on the land and chilled out atmosphere or not it's still trespassing and the farmland will still be damaged. What if it was your farm and your livelihood?
    parents are gonna find out their children who went out camping for the weekend got attacked by police with teargas and they'll want to know what happened,

:lol: Middle class parents are among the first to want the police to get tough on crime, if they don't like the consequences when their kids break the law...tough. And I wonder how many parents knew where their kids really were, more like a few kids will have been found out lying.
    apparently there's a new superintendent who's been 'cracking down on crime'

Great.
    this whole country is quickly turning into the US, home of democracy and land of the free, where even some hippie civilians out in a field on a bank holiday aren't safe, what a fucking disgrace.

:lol: What's the US got to do with this?
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of outdoor parties but at the end of the day, you are on someone else's land without permission. who was going to clean up the mess after all those people had left?
  • Options
    this whole country is quickly turning into the US, home of democracy and land of the free, where even some hippie civilians out in a field on a bank holiday aren't safe, what a fucking disgrace.

you leave my country the hell out of this.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a bit of rule breaking and shit.
    Although I do agree about the trespassing and the rubbish....

RageJunky, dunno where in Montana you are, but maybe you are close to Great Falls, there's a biggest collection of airplane models in the world there, it's on my list next time i fly over!!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    RageJunky, dunno where in Montana you are, but maybe you are close to Great Falls, there's a biggest collection of airplane models in the world there, it's on my list next time i fly over!!
    I'm in Missoula. The name Great Falls sounds familiar, it probably is somewhere within a few hours drive.

So you're into model airplanes? That's cool.:yes:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    nah tbh. If it was my field id probably let them. Tbh, id probably be there myself.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Don't see that many riot police storming travelling peoples caravans and sites?

Not that I agree with the "illegal rave" thing completly it is a bit of double standards. I've been to a few raves in my time and to be fair most of them were harmless get togethers which ended in great spirits. And we tidied up after ourselves. But to go in with full riot gear and break it up seems a bit over the top in my opinion. Why not go in and open up communications first like other situations.
  • Options
    A thought it was a small group of police who turned up to stop the rave, then they called out the boys when they got attacked? Not that it justifies the reaction, but the police aren't ever going to back down once one of their cars has been set on fire.
  • Options
    i can see it from both side, some people want a festival good, but its easy to find a farmer who will rent out a field pretty cheap for 5 days, and the police were out of order but if the hippies were really peaceful they wont have retaliated,
    go raves tho'
  • Options
    I'm in Missoula. The name Great Falls sounds familiar, it probably is somewhere within a few hours drive.

So you're into model airplanes? That's cool.:yes:

Yeah it's just east of Route 15, I think west of where you are.

I am into planes period, it will be interesting how many rare planes they have, to be honest I will probably need a couple of days there... :thumb: (nerd alert hehe)
  • Options
    you're all completely missing the point, the rave might have been illegal yes and so the farmer is well within his right to get people removed, but the manner they went about it was completely overhanded, you don't go charging in riot gear and start teargassing kids and young people before you've tried a normal approach, which they didn't........there was a load of police around the site from the start but none of them actually tried to shut the thing down, they just surrounded the area and waited for the riot police to show up, the whole thing was a big show of force designed to intimidate everyone unnecessarily and that's what i've got a problem with.........my point about the atmosphere is that everyone was very friendly and laidback, even with police hanging around everywhere there was absolutely no trouble until they sent the riot police in and started confronting people violently......it's a simple case of action/reaction, they could have used a bit of common sense but wanted to make a statement instead so they handled the whole situation wrong and thats why it got out of control.
  • Options
    Don't see that many riot police storming travelling peoples caravans and sites?

That's different - travellers are only committing a civil offence, not a criminal offence (trespass). (and btw I'm all in favour of an offence of criminal trespass being introduced).

In the case of a rave, revellers are committing a criminal offenceof some kind.
  • Options
    you're all completely missing the point, the rave might have been illegal yes and so the farmer is well within his right to get people removed, but the manner they went about it was completely overhanded, you don't go charging in riot gear and start teargassing kids and young people before you've tried a normal approach, which they didn't........there was a load of police around the site from the start but none of them actually tried to shut the thing down, they just surrounded the area and waited for the riot police to show up, the whole thing was a big show of force designed to intimidate everyone unnecessarily and that's what i've got a problem with.........my point about the atmosphere is that everyone was very friendly and laidback, even with police hanging around everywhere there was absolutely no trouble until they sent the riot police in and started confronting people violently......it's a simple case of action/reaction, they could have used a bit of common sense but wanted to make a statement instead so they handled the whole situation wrong and thats why it got out of control.

That's your version of events. The police's account, I suspect, may be somewhat different.

Like Fiend, Dis and Kermit, I have no sympathy for you.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    That's your version of events. The police's account, I suspect, may be somewhat different.
    the police always have a different version of events, thats what they fucking DO.
    You dont need riot police unless theres a fucking riot. Not to close down a bloody party.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    Like Fiend, Dis and Kermit, I have no sympathy for you.

*adds name to list*
  • Options
    the police always have a different version of events, thats what they fucking DO.
    You dont need riot police unless theres a fucking riot. Not to close down a bloody party.
    A police car was set on fire. I'd define that as a riot, not a party.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'd define that as a riot

Haha that aint no riot.

watch this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPvuFOK3SEI
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Haha that aint no riot.

Either way, it ain't as 'peaceful' as the OP stated.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Haha that aint no riot.

I guess Millwall are playing again?
  • Options
    my point about the atmosphere is that everyone was very friendly and laidback, even with police hanging around everywhere there was absolutely no trouble until they sent the riot police in and started confronting people violently

So peaceful that a police car spontaneously combusts?

Do I believe Jim V or a whingeing stoner? :chin:
  • Options
    Teargas? Put it this way. If I had my way, the police would be using something a lot stronger to deal with a load of bloody hippies. They were on someone else's land illegally. What did they expect - that the cops would join in the party or something? And setting a police car on fire is asking for trouble. The police were lenient considering everything. Well done to them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Do I believe Jim V or a whingeing stoner? :chin:

Hell, I'm just going from the report in the paper doesn't mean it's the truth -

'The violence, which flared up sporadically until early yesterday, was sparked when a small delegation of officers tried to negotiate the break-up of the party but met "unprecedented and ferocious" resistance, police said. A police car was set on fire and nine officers were wounded during the clashes, with injuries to police including a suspected broken collarbone and a severed finger.'

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1859791,00.html
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Hell, I'm just going from the report in the paper doesn't mean it's the truth

fair enough.

I expect that it is the truth though, or at least quite a bit closer to it than the illegal ravers' story.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Haha that aint no riot.

great music :D
  • Options
    lol well it's obvious from most of the replies that people here have probably never met a 'hippie' or been to a rave because there's an awful lot of hostility based on stereotypical preconceptions, SG you've obviously never had teargas in your eyes or you wouldn't be talking such a load of crap.