Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

do i finish it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im just wondering now whether maybe its for the best finishing it now rather than then, give me more time to adjust an last thing i want to do is feel like crap on my first week at uni,

but then again really would like to be with him as much as i can.

whats for the best? opinions please

Comments

• Options
    In my opinion, you cant have a relationship with someone that you know your splitting up with in <insert number of days/weeks>

If your definately splitting up, yes i think you should do it sooner rather than later. If you do it the day or day before you go to uni you will be really upset and turn up to uni teary and depressed. Not a good way to have fun or make friends in freshers week really is it?
  • Options
    I would say that you won't have time to feel like crap on your first week of uni. You'll be too busy meeting new people and having fun. I say spend as much time together as you can before you leave. Otherwise you'll just end up thinking about it for the next few weeks until you go, and end up even worse. Let's face it, now 'til uni isn't going to be enough time to get over him, so either way, there'll be times during you're gonna be thinking about him.
  • Options
    i agree with both of you.

its hard really to guess what im going to be like when it happens. there are times now when i dont feel at all connected to him, i have feelings but if he finished it id just shrug, but then theres times when i couldnt imagine not being with him and can get upset at the thought.
  • Options
    I would say that you won't have time to feel like crap on your first week of uni. You'll be too busy meeting new people and having fun. I say spend as much time together as you can before you leave. Otherwise you'll just end up thinking about it for the next few weeks until you go, and end up even worse. Let's face it, now 'til uni isn't going to be enough time to get over him, so either way, there'll be times during you're gonna be thinking about him.

That's about right.

I got dumped the Monday before the weekend I left home for uni (9/11 happened the day after, world security depends on my happiness dontcha know?), and I did try and say to her that we should just enjoy every minute we have together before I had to go, but it would just have been too weird an atmosphere and it'd have just dragged things out.

It is a nice idea, having the whole Titanic style "I'll never forget you" moment right at the end, but it depends on what you want to do really.

Starting uni is the absolute best way to get over somebody though :yes:
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    In my opinion, you cant have a relationship with someone that you know your splitting up with in <insert number of days/weeks>

If your definately splitting up, yes i think you should do it sooner rather than later. If you do it the day or day before you go to uni you will be really upset and turn up to uni teary and depressed. Not a good way to have fun or make friends in freshers week really is it?
    agreed :yes:
  • Options
    sooner has to be better than later imho, if your gonna end it in a few weeks then surely knowing that the relationship becomes a sham? just my point of view,
  • Options
    were both pulling away now i think, he constantly wants to go out with his mates and im getting sick of him just expecting me to be there when hes ready or wants to see me. slept at his house last night and basicallly got kicked out at 9 oclock this mornin, he did say i could stop for abit longer but was in that voice that says "dont really want you to but if you have to"
  • Options
    were both pulling away now i think, he constantly wants to go out with his mates and im getting sick of him just expecting me to be there when hes ready or wants to see me. slept at his house last night and basicallly got kicked out at 9 oclock this mornin, he did say i could stop for abit longer but was in that voice that says "dont really want you to but if you have to"
    well after reading that i would want to keep my dignity so i would just finish it now.
  • Options
    ok so i havent read any other posts about this but why cant you have a relationship whilst you're at uni? its not like another planet or anything. or are you just moving really far away?
  • Options
    nope not that far bout an hour and half.

to be honest even though its a close relationship its never been serious, and if im honest neither of us think its gonna work when i go,

i dont want to have to come back every weekend and he doesnt want to have to come up every weekend. plus when i do come back ive got to fit in family, my friends and him, dont get me wrong i would liek to see if it could work,

but deep down we both know it wont and wed rather break up and stay friends now than break up not liking each other 6 months down the line.
  • Options

but deep down we both know it wont and wed rather break up and stay friends now than break up not liking each other 6 months down the line.

You seem to have to come to the final conclusion then. I hope it all does work out for the best :)

If its meant to be, you can always get back together after uni. Good Luck x
  • Options
    yeh i did bring it up but he doesnt want to, it is for the best!

thanks xx