Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you think prisons should be used for?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What crimes do you think warrant a prison sentence? Do you think prison should act as a deterrent, a punishment, or/and something to keep the public safe from dangerous criminals?

Comments

• Options
    What crimes do you think warrant a prison sentence? Do you think prison should act as a deterrent, a punishment, or/and something to keep the public safe from dangerous criminals?

Menial crimes like vandalism, burgulry (in which not too much was robbed) and ABH should be punished by community service and a fine.

More serious crimes like GBH, sexual assault, murder, gun crimes should be put in prison, put into rehabilitaion programs and forced to do work in prison.
  • Options
    Any violent crimes, or any crimes where violence takes place should result in a spell in the nick. The same also goes for murderers, paedophiles and rapists. These should all mean life sentences - you're in prison until the day you die, with no chance of any parole, ever. Prisons should be for the most dangerous people to be locked away from society. If such a principle was genuinely followed, we wouldn't have prisons bursting at capacity now.
  • Options
    How about someone who stole £10m......through fraud......from a charity......where all the employees are blind.
  • Options
    Prison should serve as a deterrent, a punishment and a form of protecting the public. Violent and sexual crimes almost always justify a prison sentence; the option to jail violent criminals indefinitely must always exist. The protection of the law abiding public must always be paramount. So called minor crimes such as vandalism and burglary should be treated leniently initially if there are exceptional circumstances, for a first offence community service and a fine might be acceptable. Repeat offenders and career criminals however should always be jailed for a long time. And it's worth pointing out that a 'minor' crime like burglary is serious for the people burgled. Oh and foreign born criminals guilty of a serious crime or repeated 'minor' crimes should be deported.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    burgulry (in which not too much was robbed)

In which the burglary was in a store not a private home. Someone who'll break into my house I'd rather have locked up. Someone who'll break into a shop or place of business is less dangerous, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Not stuff like not pying council tax. Should be used for stuff like repeat offenders, mugging, murder, gun crime, ABH, GBH, sex offenders.
  • Options
    Any case involving violence should result in prison, and this prison should be mandatory. All sexual abuse should also result in serious porridge.

Any offence of carrying an illegal weapon in public should result in prison.

Fraud should result in prison, especially if the victim was old or infirm.

Repeat offenders should be placed in prison if every other sentence does not work.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Violent crimes - from antisocial behaviour to assualt and murder.
    Antisocial crimes in general - vandalism, etc...

Things like minor speeding, small robberies (not where threatening people is involved though, stuff like stealing a couple of breads from a small closed shop) and so forth shouldn't warrant prison.
  • Options
    The last two. Althought it should be used as least as possible, only for 'serious' crimes (to life, violence, sex offenses, fraud, etc.)
  • Options
    What regime a prisoner should have should depend on the crime commited and the length of sentance.

"Lifers" and those on long-term sentances should have a constructive days work, while those at the lower end should receive some kind of rehabilitation to prevent reoffending. Any drug addict should receive compulsory drugs rehab, while sexual offenders should receive psychiatric care.

In general though 65% rehab - 35% punishment
  • Options
    saying fink instead of think ...should carry a mandatory six moons.
  • Options
    I think prison is all of those suggested in the first post. It is there to protect the wider public. But prison has a job in it’s self to help those who are prisoners.
    But criminals like paedophiles and murders should be given life sentences (actually meaning life) and should be made to repay the damage they have caused families. They should be given jobs all day and have no rest of the wicked. Prison should be such a terrible place that they will never ever think about committing a crime again. This should help to turn away future criminals in this field.

On the whole, those who do not have life sentences, prison should be able rehabilitation and punishment. The latter being the most important though. Prisons should help make these people they aspire to be instead of being locked up all of the time. It is a cry for help therefore prison should help to accommodate this.
  • Options
    saying fink instead of think ...should carry a mandatory six moons.

Text talk in general should carry that.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Prison should be such a terrible place that they will never ever think about committing a crime again. This should help to turn away future criminals in this field.
    You seriously think turning prisons into 'terrible places' would help society? If you think they should be a terrible place (even more than they are) I'd like to ask how much more terrible do you need? And what exactly do you mean by 'terrible' anyway? If you leave this undefined one could think you'd like to torture prisoners.
    Prison should never be a deterrent. That's brutal. There isn't even evidence that it works. Human psychology doesn't work that way. And even though, the sentence a person receives should be based solely on their own conduct and not on possible future ones by other people.
  • Options
    Do you think prison should act as a deterrent, a punishment, or/and something to keep the public safe from dangerous criminals?

I thought of something that I hadn't thought of before when reading your question. I don't know how much I agree with it, but I'll say it anyway :D.

The first 80% of a sentence should be served in the most hellish conditions imaginable. No rooms with televisions, no breaks outside - hard graft and a dark room to sleep in.

The final 20% should be used for genuine rehabilitation - to teach basic skills, to teach civilised interaction with other people

On the whole, prison should be a nasty and hellish place - but it isn't. People should be scared of prison, it should be(and needs to be!) the ultimate deterrent. I've come away thinking that I've stayed in worse bed and breakfasts, and it really shouldn't be like that.
  • Options
    It's seen that way here too, the violation of invading someone's home is taken seriously.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    But criminals like paedophiles and murders should be given life sentences (actually meaning life) and should be made to repay the damage they have caused families.

How do you repay the "damage" of murdering someone?

And by "murderers", do you mean all murderers, or just the ones you see in the paper? Should the woman who has put up with 30 years of abuse and snaps one day, stabbing her husband, be given the same sentence as someone who batters someone to death for kicks?

And even with paedophiles, should the man who puts his hand down a young girl's knickers be given the same sentence as someone who rapes his daughter every night for 10 years?

It's not so easy as you make out. If you have mandatory sentences you end up making crime worse- if you're gonna get the same sentence for a feel as for a rape, you might as well get your money's worth and rape the girl, hadn't you?
    Prison should be such a terrible place that they will never ever think about committing a crime again. This should help to turn away future criminals in this field.

Don't worry, full-lifers will find it hard to commit another crime;)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    How do you repay the "damage" of murdering someone?
    The criminal should suffer just like the family who have lost a loved one for example.
    Kermit wrote:
    And by "murderers", do you mean all murderers, or just the ones you see in the paper?
    I said murderers as a general term as I am not going to sit here and type up all the differing types of murderers and individual circumstances that would be stupid.
    Kermit wrote:
    Should the woman who has put up with 30 years of abuse and snaps one day, stabbing her husband, be given the same sentence as someone who batters someone to death for kicks?
    No of course she shouldn’t. I thought it was common sense that sentences were given on the individual merit?

Kermit wrote:
    And even with paedophiles, should the man who puts his hand down a young girl's knickers be given the same sentence as someone who rapes his daughter every night for 10 years?
    Both are relates but of course the latter is much more serious and would receive a harsher sentences. Yet again this is common sense. But would both get a life sentence meaning forever? The latter would certainly, not so sure about the former, but a long sentence will be given as it will never ever be tolerated.

Kermit wrote:
    It's not so easy as you make out. If you have mandatory sentences you end up making crime worse- if you're gonna get the same sentence for a feel as for a rape, you might as well get your money's worth and rape the girl, hadn't you?
    That is a disturbing comment in away. A human shouldn’t even think about raping, never mind going all the way because sentences are the same.

To conclude, I would introduce guidelines for sentences but they would be a hell of a lot harsher than they currently are as I believe in punishment.
    Of course there are differing cases and all should not be tied to the same brush.
    Kermit wrote:
    Don't worry, full-lifers will find it hard to commit another crime;)
    Good as they’d never get out again, never!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    No of course she shouldn’t. I thought it was common sense that sentences were given on the individual merit?

You're the one who's saying "all paedophiles and murderers" should be given life sentences without the possibility of parole, not me.

But on the subject of murder, the woman who snaps IS given the same sentence as the man who murders for kicks- she is given life imprisonment. That is the only sentence you can get for murder. She is one of the lifers for whom you think life should mean life.
    To conclude, I would introduce guidelines for sentences but they would be a hell of a lot harsher than they currently are as I believe in punishment.
    Of course there are differing cases and all should not be tied to the same brush.

I don't think you would make them harsher if you actually knew what they were. For many classes of violent offence you can already be locked up for an indefinite period, for instance, and that is much stricter than any mandatory prison sentence.

Interestingly enough, judges normally give sentences about 20%-30% more severe than ordinary members of the public would, if the public are given the full facts of the case.
  • Options
    murder / GBH / rape / crimes against kids / violent crimes/ and repeat offenders of any crime = > jail
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    murder / GBH / rape / crimes against kids / violent crimes/ and repeat offenders of any crime = > jail

:yes: