Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bringing alcohol tolerance down

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I spend so much on alcohol because it takes so much to get me even a slight buzz. I don't buy anything not hard unless I feel in the mood for a taste of osmething. Its getting very expensive tbh. Drinking on an empty stomach is not a good idea. Any ideas on how to bring my tolerance lower? I only buy on sale but still go thru at least 1 1/2 of 175 a week. No matter how cheap you find it, it adds up very quickly! I've always thought of myself to be quite a lightweight too!

Comments

• Options
    Solution is not to drink for a while
  • Options
    How much are you actually drinking?

And, as MrG rightly points out, the only safe way to do it is to stop drinking for a while.
  • Options
    I usually have only 2 or 3 drinks a night. A c12oz an of cola with vodka, it reaches the very top of the glass when I mix them, its a pint sized glass. I don't know how much vodka it actually is. Just to get a bit fuzzy, it makes tv better :p

So for how long, like a week are we talking?
  • Options
    Totally cut out the alcohol for a week and it might have an effect, probly a noticeable one after a couple of weeks of no drinking at all.

But by then you have saved lots of money anyway
  • Options
    yeah, as others have said, cut it out for a while.
    When i first turned 18 i was out every night getting drunk so i quickly built up a tolerance. i could sink 7/8 pints in a night before i was drunk. i've hardly done that though in the past couple of years so im a complete lightweight now
  • Options
    My tolerance is always changing. While I'm at uni it's high, then it usually drops when I come home again. Right now I haven't been drinking very often (got to be 21 - argh) so when I do, I end up fucked. You should notice a difference in a few weeks.
  • Options
    don't drink for ages
    then when you start drinking again, you'll notice the difference :yes:
  • Options
    smoke a joint before u start drinking in the evening!

bad advice probably
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I usually have only 2 or 3 drinks a night. A c12oz an of cola with vodka, it reaches the very top of the glass when I mix them, its a pint sized glass. I don't know how much vodka it actually is. Just to get a bit fuzzy, it makes tv better :p

So for how long, like a week are we talking?

Maybe I'm getting this wrong, US measures are slightly different, but here if you put a can of coke in a pint glass it only half fills it. So with that in mind you would be drining a 1/2 pint of vodka every day? If that is indeed the case there is little wonder why you have a high tolerance, thats a high intake for anyone let alone a woman.

That would mean 1.75 litres of hard spirits a week by my calculations, if thats the case you could be on course to developing a serious problem.
  • Options
    looks like every severe alcoholic from the mainland emmigrated to UK.
  • Options
    budda wrote:

That would mean 1.75 litres of hard spirits a week .

Thats exactly it. Sometimes more. Hence why it gets awfully expensive. Could I get the tolerance down by just cutting back for a couple weeks? Like maybe drink just beer for that? I failed at the last two days of trying to cut out :razz: But I guess my sister is visiting so it probably wasn't the best time to start.

Oh, but I'm tallish and big so that adds alot to the tolerance I assume?
  • Options
    So that's a 16floz glass... with 12floz of coke... so 4 floz of vodka right?
    Which equates to 125ml of vodka per drink... 2 or 3 a night? so that's 375ml of vodka per night...
    700ml of an average spirit equates to 28 UK units...
    By my reckoning you're drinking 2625ml of vodka a week?

That equates to five times the current recommended amount for a woman to consume...
    You're putting yourself at serious risk of problems...

I would completely cut out alcohol for around two to three weeks... and then try not to drink more than one a night, maximum...

Or - you could drink before you eat? This would mean it would have a greater effect on you. Not entirely healthy but could work...
  • Options
    dont drink for a week then have a couple of nights drinking then dont drink for a week again and keep doing that for a while, if you just do one week off then back to normal it will only work for a while and

also change your drinks if your only drinking vodka and coke you will be up a tolerance i can drink about 10 archers and lemonades wasy but after 1 bottle of wine im gone!!
  • Options
    I know it is not very helpful - but that is an awful lot to be drinking!
  • Options
    I have talked to a few alcohol service providers who's view is that drinking alone/in front of the TV is one of the most habit forming and harmful modes of drinking.

You might try to reduce your dosage rather than cutting out immediately, and perhaps measure what you are pouring for yourself. Try to aim for no more than 100mls per night initially and then try to reduce from there.

Tireing yourself out with exercise or work during the day or early evening is a good way to help yourself get to sleep, if you find that you can't sleep well without a drink.
  • Options

Tireing yourself out with exercise or work during the day or early evening is a good way to help yourself get to sleep, if you find that you can't sleep well without a drink.

Nah, I just get bored :p In fact, the more I drink the less I sleep, I get all awake then just toss and turn all rattled up in bed until like 3am. (I'm sure the caffiene from the cola had nothing to do with that :p )

Thanks all for your tips! :)
  • Options
    First of all it would be a good idea to cut out the caffiene when you drink, this will mean you'll notice it more because of the lack of the stimulant.

Secondly, like Martin I really think you need to start measuring it out, this will help you know how much you are drinking.

1.75 litre's, and I'm guessing some weeks its more than that is way over the recommended limit, and although that limit is on the low side it is a good guide.

Just remember that females can not handle alcohol as easily as men and it is considerably easier for women to become actual physical addicts.
  • Options
    Thanks, guess I should cut down 'for I can't that would rank up there on the shitty scale :p