Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sickening

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didn't justify Keane's challenge, I always said it was out of line. Stop making stuff up. :banghead:

I believe the thing I said at the time was that the ban was stupid because it was for things he had said in his FUCKING BOOK. That was what the ban was based on. If the FA wanted to ban him, they should have done it there and then. Load of balls.
  • Options
    The ban was based on Keane's admission. Until then he'd just been banned for the tackle itself, on the basis it wasn't intended.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    How the hell was that justified? He broke the guy's leg for christs sake. (And ended his career, IIRC)

The civil courts didn't think it was justified. Didn't Gray end up having to pay compensation?
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    The civil courts didn't think it was justified. Didn't Gray end up having to pay compensation?

Yes Gray did end up paying compensation. I know the civil courts didn't think it was justified, but Huddersfield did, apparantely.:confused:
  • Options
    Urgh thats awful. Should have been sent off! Refs are getting stupider.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Urgh thats awful. Should have been sent off! Refs are getting stupider.

Indeed they are.

Even though I'm a Man City fan, I'm surprised that Thatcher wasn't sent off.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The ban was based on Keane's admission. Until then he'd just been banned for the tackle itself, on the basis it wasn't intended.

Exactly. They based his ban on what was said in a book for fuck sake. Load of shite if you ask me. That was always my point.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Exactly. They based his ban on what was said in a book for fuck sake. Load of shite if you ask me. That was always my point.
    I think the charge was bringing the game into disrepute. Pretty standard practice for people being outspoken. I don't agree with the charge existing, but if you can be banned or fined for criticising a referee's decision, then I suppose it's only right that you should get a similar punishment for admitting to unprofessional behaviour (similar to David Beckham's foul on Ben Thatcher where he starting bragging about how clever he was to get a yellow card when he would be injured anyway. Not clever enough to keep his mouth shut it seems).

I criticised Ben Thatcher as much as anyone else, but now the press has decided to do it's whole self-rightous outrage act, naturally singling out a single incident and ignoring anything else, and now I'm thinking the press can all go fuck themselves, and I'm on Ben's side again tbh. As usual the cunts in the tabloids have gone completely over the top. A ban of say 6-8 matches and a large fine to compensate Pompey for Mendes' wages would be adequate in my opinion.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:

The civil courts felt that Gray was negligent in his tackle, and compensation was paid from the insurers of Gray and Huddersfield Town.

Despite the referee saying he made a mistake and he thought Gray meant to do it, Gray did not get a ban and it was not found that Gray meant to do it. Therefore Bradford City did not get a penny's compensation for losing the striker who was our record buy at the time.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Gray did not get a ban and it was not found that Gray meant to do it.

That's pathetic.
  • Options
    Manchester City have banned their defender Ben Thatcher for six matches and fined him six weeks' wages for his challenge on Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes.
    The internal club punishment is separate from any Football Association sanctions over the incident, which left Mendes unconscious.

City said two matches of the six-game ban would be suspended.

Thatcher was left out of the weekend's Arsenal match, which means he will now sit out a further three games.

Those games will be the 11 September trip to Reading, and the away games at Blackburn on 17 September and Chesterfield three days later.

Manchester City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said: "As custodians of the club, and football in general, the board and the manager felt it was important to act as soon as possible."

Thatcher, who has written to Mendes to apologise for the challenge, must answer an FA charge of serious foul play by 12 September.

Mendes has said he will not pursue a legal claim against Thatcher but the Portuguese midfielder did urge the FA to "make the right decision on his punishment".

From BBC website.
  • Options
    Compare and contrast that to their neighbours across the city, who stood right by a convicted drugs cheat and a self-admitted thug.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Compare and contrast that to their neighbours across the city, who stood right by a convicted drugs cheat and a self-admitted thug.

Dry your blinkered eyes. What Thatcher did was a disgrace. Most people agree that they'd struggle to see a worse challenge. If one of our players did the same, I'd expect the club to come down very hard on them, and they would.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Dean Windass
  • Options
    Dean Windass

I don't recall Dean Windass ever failing to attend a drugs test or deliberately ending another professional's career.

But when Windass was caught abusing the referee in the car park after the match, he was given a very large fine by the club.

Addict, I must have missed the huge club bans and fines that Manchester United handed down to their club captain and record signing. My apologies.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Addict, I must have missed the huge club bans and fines that Manchester United handed down to their club captain and record signing. My apologies.

Obviously you're well informed of what goes on behind the doors of Old Trafford, no? Thought not. Don't speculate on things you know fuck all about.

Regardless of what happened, we don't need to make public examples of our players, the FA do enough of that for us.