Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

closing up streets because of prostitution

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I live in a wealthy area of Santiago, amongst some of the most Chilean version of posh you may find. :sour:

Thing is, there has been sexual commerce in the area for about five years on weekdays late at night. So the mayor of our area thought up the most brightest idea :rolleyes: of closing up streets for vehicles from 11pm til 6:00am. Only people on foot are allowed to walk in if they want to. It won't stop the prostitutes from entering as they are on foot but it will stop the clients who come in cars. They even held a 'public consultation' for the people of our neighbourhood to ask if they agreed on such measures. No surprise really, we lost 60% to 40%. Great, so now on top of all if I have mates coming over after that hour I have to phone some guards' number so they'll let my friends come through :rolleyes:

So, to justify why I posted this in P&D, anyone think this was a good idea? Ok, or more objectively, do you think it is legitimate to close (public) streets at night if the neighbours are OK with it? Btw, would something like this be legal in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    I think it's a dumb idea becasue as you've said, the putas come on foot anyway so I guess that any punter wanting some fun would just park his car and then walk.

And it's hardly fair on the people that live there telling them that they're not allowed to use their cars after 11pm.

Shame really. Santiago is such a quality city.
  • Options
    Surely someone got paid in all of that (and I am not talking about the putas as thunderstruck put it)
  • Options
    The prostitutes will only go somewhere else. Can't see how it'd solve anything, unless the aim is specifically to get them away from those streets.
  • Options
    what about people who work nights/early mornings?
  • Options
    The prostitutes will only go somewhere else. Can't see how it'd solve anything, unless the aim is specifically to get them away from those streets.
    Well, I guess it only shows the great quality :rolleyes: of our mayor, because the aim *is* to get them off those streets in particular, because it's a posh place so how can the people of this "such a respectable area" have hookers come in at night? Let them go somewhere else, not this exclusive area thankyou... What bothers me most about the whole thing is this revolting elitist and near-sighted attitude behind it. "I'm only worrying about safety and standards of my own little rich world, thank you.. The hookers? They can go somewhere else, where I don't see them.." That's the line of thought of my great quality neighbours.. (and mayor) :rolleyes: