Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ingrown toenail

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've heard that with ingrown toenails you need to go to the doctor. I've never had one, I don't know, but going to the doctor does seem a bit excessive. I mean, really... doctor for a toenail? Poor Ed is suffering from one. Is there anybody with any expierience with them? Has anybody had them fixed by themselves, without the doctor? ANy helpfull hints?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    You need to go to a doctor.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My big toe sometimes ingrows randomly.

I tend to cut the nail back then put a V in it so it grows back outwards and not more ingrowing.

Always works for me.
  • Options
  • Options
    You could see a chiropodist (I mean him, not you obviously). They can cut it and pack it. This is what I have had in thhe past and if it's badly ingrown then this can be the best solution or complete removal. But here we usually pay for chiropody whereas the GP surgery is free.
  • Options
    I permanently have ingrown toenails and yes, you need to see a podiatrist or chiropodist. I'm having to go back to see my chiropodist because they're getting worse again. Sometimes, they're fine when I cut my nails straight across. They can be the most painful thing ever though - wearing shoes is impossible sometimes so flip flops have to be my bestfriends lol.
    You can have them surgically removed. They cut a third of your toenail off (downwards, not across) to let new nail grow properly. I may have to resort to that at some point :(
  • Options
    I had an ingrowing toenail on my right big toe, a few years ago. My mate stood on my foot - I never realised he was so heavy! It was fucking well sore... I got it sorted by the chiropodist. They had to cut a bit of nail from either side of my toenail as it was pretty bad. Now, that toenail looks a bit weird, so I tend to keep them painted and you can't really tell. It's better than the pain, anyway.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've had it a couple of times, years ago, and my dad does sometimes too. Neither of us have been to a doctor about it, we just pull the skin on the nail's side once in a while, and eventually the nail grows out.
  • Options
    You can have them surgically removed. They cut a third of your toenail off (downwards, not across) to let new nail grow properly. I may have to resort to that at some point :(

i had this done, but be warned, make sure they know what they r doing! wen the chiropodist did mine she wouldn't listen to a word i was saying so wen i told her the toe wasnt numbed+i could still feel it, after the anaesthetic injection, she said "oh, dont be silly" and proceeded to force a pair of plier-like things under the left hand side of my toe nail, right down to the bottom+rip it out from the root :crying:
    Mine used to weep green puss constantly, so yep, getit checked out!
  • Options
    I've had it a couple of times, years ago, and my dad does sometimes too. Neither of us have been to a doctor about it, we just pull the skin on the nail's side once in a while, and eventually the nail grows out.
    He won't go to the doctor. I don't think he would go even if he was dying. I even told him I know a great foot doctor, and he hands out vicodin like candy so that would stop his constant bitching!

Though the other night he stubbed his foot with the bad toe on the corner of the bed frame which is solid wood. hehe, not funny at all I mean. Just thought I"d share that random information.
  • Options
    I had one of the sides of my toenails removed then then some stuff shoved in it to stop it growing back. They did a really good job and my nail looks normal to glance at.
  • Options
    good timing! i had an operation for my 2 ingrown toenails on monday - they were soo painful before, and the injections were terible but since then they havent really been painful since - both in bangages but im so happy theyre never going to hurt again - i went to a podiatrist, and its free on the NHS. If he has an ingrown toenail which result in him not being able to walk its so painful then its not excessive!

Id reccommend it. My toes still hurt a little just achey and throbbing from the operations, but when i change the dressing the look perfectly normal - a job well done