Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Black men's hair

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
This was brought to mind by bunglenutter's thread.
I've wondered for years. why do most black men (or at least most of the ones I see in movies) shave their head completely?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because most black guys hair goes like mine I.e curls into little springs.
  • Options
    Because most black guys hair goes like mine I.e curls into little springs.
    I know that, and I know several people with that kind of hair too (white and black). None of them shave it, and (almost) no black women do either, but usually their hair is the same.
  • Options
    i hadnt noticed that they did tbh. Only some of them do as far as i can tell.
  • Options
    montel williams does
  • Options
    I have been told by my sources that afro hair is a pain in the arse to look after. The black girls I've known spend at least 3 times longer tending to their hair that your average caucasian barnet-owner.

It's probably just easier to take it all off. Plus the shiny head look tends to suit darker skin way better than light skin.
  • Options
    montel williams does

Montel is so cool.
  • Options
    My boyfriend (who is black) had a shaven head when I first met him because he had BLEACHED HIS HAIR (wtf!!!) and decided it looked crap so he shaved it all off. Now he shaves his head because I make him because I prefer it that way.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    My boyfriend (who is black) had a shaven head when I first met him because he had BLEACHED HIS HAIR (wtf!!!) and decided it looked crap so he shaved it all off. Now he shaves his head because I make him because I prefer it that way.

How do the trousers fit by the way?;) :D
  • Options
    This was brought to mind by bunglenutter's thread.
    I've wondered for years. why do most black men (or at least most of the ones I see in movies) shave their head completely?

I don't think most shave their heads but with the darker skin I think it looks good on most black guys.

I ran into this Asian guy I hadn't seen in many years and he used to have hair so curly it was an afro, now he's shaved it off totally and it suits him, looks cool.
  • Options
    How do the trousers fit by the way?;) :D
    They fit just fine thank you ;)
  • Options
    i hadnt noticed that they did tbh. Only some of them do as far as i can tell.

No, I have lots of movies with black men in them and I don't agree that the majority of them have shaven heads.
  • Options
    I don't think most shave their heads but with the darker skin I think it looks good on most black guys.
    I agree there, certainly better than it looks on white guys (in general).

If so curly hair is trouble, I guess that explains it. As for "most" or "some", it just seems so to me from movies. The only black guy I know in real life has hair, but his is straight.
  • Options
    The majority of the black men I know are Brazilians (who live in Brazil) and yes, the large majority of them have shaven heads... but there this is fashion and also it is very practicle as it is cheap to do and it is cooler in the hot weather.

Globally speaking the majority of black men probably do have shaved heads because so many live in very hot countries (as an overal proportion of their race).
  • Options
    Having an afro takes a lot of upkeep. It gets hot in the summer, and is unmanageable. It's just easier to shave the lot off. *and IMO looks better than an afro too*
  • Options
    Plus as a white guy, shaving your head leaves you vulnerable to sunburn.
  • Options
    Maybe most don't like afros and dreadlocks take too long to do. Plus Black people suit shaven heads on the whole.
  • Options
    £5-10 for a quick shaved head is a lot cheaper than having braided or dreads which costs at least £50
  • Options
    i like shaven heads on black guys anyway, better then most white guys. Sometimes afro can look cool but generally i prefer the shaven look - and obviously sheaper and easier to look after
  • Options
    Most do it as a convenience instead of always going to the barber shop to get whatever done. Also, as u get older and you start to lose hair and such, it's usually a nice way to go :)